Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

I've always used Yakima's Wide Body adapter on my other Westys and have been happy with them. Now I have a Eurovan Weekender and need to add my racks on top. Yakima makes the Wide Body and Side Loader adapters. The Side Loaders are much smaller and may not be as noticeable as the Wide Body when no rack is installed, but also may not be as strong.

I called Yakima and got someone who had no idea what I was talking about. He kept telling me that the Side Loaders are only for truck toppers????

I'm wondering if anyone has used either on their Weekender and what their thoughts are.
Thanks.
J_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran across your old post doing a search.

I have had the widebody mounts on my for a few years w/o issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the wide bodies on my EVC top and like them for two reasons. They have four bolts for added strength (which I backed up with backing plates inside the top) and they have the wide horizontal flange which I drilled holes in for attaching stuff.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Westy wrote:

Anyone know what hatch bike rack is this?
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boostin20v wrote:

Anyone know what hatch bike rack is this?

I think it's a Paulchen rack. More expensive than the Fiamma and harder to find.
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

I just got Yakima Widebodies to install my rack on my 1993 Westy MV
How hard is it to remove the pop-top tent to access the back of the fiberglass top?

I see a long aluminum rail with screws to remove the tent part.
I just don't want to take that down and then have issues getting it back on there.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to remove the pop top canvas to install your widebody mounts. Just pop the top and you will have access to the backside of the downward sloping edge of the top. You just need to be careful when drilling your holes to not push through far enough to make a hole in your canvas.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

Thank you @Joshwa and @J_Westy for your replies.
I've now completed the project and carried two 19' boats on roof at about 60mph and wind with no issues.

Yakima Widebody mounts with standard bolts and nuts - Check price it varies 30-40 each set of 2
Metal backing plate on each and drilled out the 4 holes a bit bigger than bolts to let them slide
71" separation between front / back to carry long boats
Holes about 1" above the rubber edge of roof ('93 MV is fiberglass)
Yakima 66" bars
Yakima 1A Raingutter Towers- I have older ones, a bit of pain to adjust and get to grip properly
The roof is now a bit heavier to lift with the racks on there, but doable with some strength.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streamr wrote:

I think it's a Paulchen rack. More expensive than the Fiamma and harder to find.

I have a Paulchen for sale if anyone is interested.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

I through bolted four nylon cleats through my tip top and use foam rubber for the kayaks, aka pool noodles.

You can color coordinate them to the body if you want

Total cost, $18 - even less if you steal the noodles from the kiddie pool
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

In prep for delivery of our new tandem yacks, I pulled this together. Did quite a bit of research around the interwebs:

http://www.cavevan.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693085&highlight=weight+roof
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681783&highlight=weight+roof
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=100
https://www.rackattack.com/blog/volkwagen-eurovan-...bike-rack/

...with the following goals in mind:
1. retain structural integrity of the top
2. as light as possible
3. low profile so that I can still get into the garage without removing the cross-bars

Goals met by purchasing the following Vantech parts from [url]EuroCampers.com[/url]:
- 2 Aluminum universal track (72" long), comes with a foam-rubber gasket
- 10 stainless steel button socket bolts (3/8" shaft, 1.25" long), 2" fender washers and nylon lock nuts- to bolt down the track
- silicone caulk for holes in the roof
- 2 Aluminum cross bars (1.5"x 1" T-track, 72" long)
- 4 stainless steel slider bolts (1.5" long), stainless steel fender washers (1.5" wide), lock washers, and nuts- to bolt down the cross bars
- 4 adjustable guides with eyehook (item #A20)
NOTE: stainless steel bits were purchased at local hardware store so that I could get an exact fit.

Came together pretty easily. All of the components are exactly what I expected. The 72" tracks and bars should provide the ultimate in flexibility. Can add all sorts of accessories, but I think we're set for now. Probably a little overkill on the bolt sizes and such, but that's how I seem to do things. Cost all-in was under $350.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

@mkscott2 Thanks for posting that (summary info links, design goals, etc.) -- very useful! Putting racks on ours is not on our immediate list, but may end up there if we end up kayaking much, which is a definite possibility. Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

Quote:
mkscott2:
The 72" tracks and bars should provide the ultimate in flexibility. Can add all sorts of accessories, but I think we're set for now. ... Cost all-in was under $350.

Wow - wish I'd seen this before I spent approx $1000 on my four bar double track Yakima setup. It's great, but too heavy not to mention cost. In retrospect, I would be fine with this.

Great job sorting it out and creating your own solution.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

on my recently acquired '93 weekender, i noticed four rack brackets. the picture below is of one of them. they look like they might be yakima side loaders (as seen http://a.co/1rNKaiu and https://eurovan.wordpress.com/tag/yakima-roof-rack-eurovan/) does anyone know what racks they are compatible with? i don't want to drill any new holes in my top but if i can fine something that's plug and play with these brackets, i would be interested. thanks!

streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

Those aren't the Yakima version, unless they are an early model or someone cut them down. Thule also made a rain gutter mount like the Yakimas but just two bolts and much narrower like yours. I think the Thules were shaped differently though. I have a set here somewhere, if I find them, I'll compare with yours. If they are the Thule brand, the Yakima A1 towers will fit and I'm sure the Thule rain gutter tower would work. How far does it come out from the side?
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. they stick out 1" from the side and the bolt centers are 4" apart. on closer inspection, i see they are engraved with "KWIK-RAIL." so, i'm pretty sure they are older yakima side loaders. they look identical to this picture that i found online.

streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

You should be able to fit the 1A Towers if you want to stay with Yakima. I have the four bolt version, I guess it's debatable as to whether the two bolt is a s strong. If they were mounted properly with the backing plate, I would say you are good to go. Good luck.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

perfect, thank you!
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention how the rack I devised and described earlier is holding up. I have already thoroughly used and abused it via the following:

1. successfully transported our two tandem yaks: 70 Lb each
2. successfully took out the entire garage door with no visible damage...to the rack.

To explain: power went out at the house, garage door sags a little when disconnected from the opener, brain did not process this in time as I was coming home from work, pulled in as I usually do, NAILED the bottom edge of the door with the aluminum crossbar and CRASH- down came the garage door. Took me about 2 hours to put the door back together, but the van and rack are unscathed.

Crash-test- CHECK!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof top rack solutions for Eurovan Weekender? Reply with quote

Thought I'd post up another inexpensive Weekender roof rack option. I just picked up these items off of FB Marketplace for $20. They're the stock racks from a 2001--2006 Suburban/Yukon XL. I'm test fitting them in these pics, but they appear to just fit on the roof with no room to spare.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: