Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tie rod thoughts ??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

OK. I have removed the front axle, etc.... The grease boots on the drag link and the tie rods were shot. Tuff to tell but the grease inside may have firmed up. Otherwise the motion of all the ends is good.

Should I consider re-lubing and rebooting them?

Thanks
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

No. I used adjustable tie-rods on both sides and the best ends I could get. What’s your life worth? Replace the drag link too. Modern tie-rod ends use no grease.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

If they have no play in them. Clean and grease them and install new boots.
Good luck
Tcash
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
If they have no play in them. Clean and grease them and install new boots.
Good luck
Tcash

That is where I believe I am. No play. Gonna be tuff to get grease under the ball, and I am now seeing that it is gonna be tuff to FIND the boots. Lots of posts about 9 years back about very poor quality replacement boots.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

Just replace them and as stated get 2 adjustable end tie rods when you do. That way you can center the steering wheel. VW was just being cheap
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:
No. I used adjustable tie-rods on both sides and the best ends I could get. What’s your life worth? Replace the drag link too. Modern tie-rod ends use no grease.

Actually all tie rod ends use grease.....period.
They just come permanently lubed....and have no grease fittings.

I do agree with the practice in general. If the boots ripped and you have jo idea how much water or grit got in.....and you have no way to get it out.....and you have no idea what grease they started with....and you should not mix greases......just replace them.

I say in general....because if you have some really rare NLA tie rods or special tie rod ends and they have not rusted or gotten grit into them and are still tight....and just need new boots and grease.....you CAN....with a lot of work clean them out, install a grease fitting and a new boot.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

Relubing them is easy enough, just drill a hole in the cap with a small bit, the hole needs to be just large enough so a grease needle will work with it. Use a stop over the bit while drilling so you don't break the bit off when you drill through the cap. Pump grease into the joint and move the joint around, the joint should still feel somewhat tight, if not it is probably going to have play in it and should be replaced. You can close the hole off by cleaning it well and covering it with silicone or JB Weld.

Several vendor have boots for Type 1's which are smaller but may work okay, if not you can buy replacement boots for Toyota Land Cruisers from a place like Cool Cruisers, these may be a bit large, not sure any more.

Once installed, with the wheels on the ground have someone turn the wheel back and forth through the play, with your fingers on each joint in turn you should be able to detect zero play.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

Steering Play
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

I decided to buy new tie rods and and new drag link.

It looks like the ball may sit in a plastic cup. I have not dismantled one yet, but in cleaning the grease in each joint, what I first assumed was firm or hard grease, must be that cup falling apart. It was easy to pick out quite a bit, so it is time to pull the trigger.

FCP Euro has the set for $104, free shipping and everything they sell has a Lifetime Warranty. Guess I need a damper too.

Thanks for commenting.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I decided to buy new tie rods and and new drag link.

It looks like the ball may sit in a plastic cup. I have not dismantled one yet, but in cleaning the grease in each joint, what I first assumed was firm or hard grease, must be that cup falling apart. It was easy to pick out quite a bit, so it is time to pull the trigger.

FCP Euro has the set for $104, free shipping and everything they sell has a Lifetime Warranty. Guess I need a damper too.

Thanks for commenting.

Yes....there are two basic ttp1es...and a couple of variations of each.

There is the tighter more precision swaged joint that has no spring.....just a ball stud in a full plastic alloy packing cup. As Wildthings noted they are all pretty easy to grease. Cleaning out is a little harder on the full plastic packing type.....you mainly just use somethomg compatible with nylon....pretty much any good solvent except for alcohol or acetone.

Run it through....work it around rinse....repeat. if you are still getting color out of it you sre not done. Grease....work....grease....work.....probably five times snd you will be fine.

The othher type has a half or 3/4 socket of plastic with a spring behind it that presses against the back cap. These are much easier. You can make a simple jig with a C-clamp to push the stud back a little and flush the joint....work it...flush the joint again.. Greasing is the same.

Lots of work unless the joint is rare. Ray
jack-o-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rod thoughts ?? Reply with quote

Do you all have a recommended source for tie rods & ends?
I will probably be seen as an asshole for this comment.....but thats fine because I am an asshole.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: