Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
I have the wing nut barely threaded on the cluch arm and there isn't enough slack to get the cable attached to the clutch pedal. I have tried to pull the clutch arm towards the front of the bus as much as I can while my son tries to connect the cluch cable to the pedal but we can't seem to do it

Do you have a bungee holding the pedal up?

Are you trying to put in the clevis pin up front or the little cam on the pivot?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Dubskii wrote:
I have the wing nut barely threaded on the cluch arm and there isn't enough slack to get the cable attached to the clutch pedal. I have tried to pull the clutch arm towards the front of the bus as much as I can while my son tries to connect the cluch cable to the pedal but we can't seem to do it

Are you trying to put in the clevis pin up front or the little cam on the pivot?

Strange. I have always done this the other way. Attach and grease all of the up-front-stuff first, then pry that clutch arm back a little to thread the nut on out back.

Not sure about the short cable length, but it seems you may have gotten the wrong one.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

Strange. I have always done this the other way. Attach and grease all of the up-front-stuff first, then pry that clutch arm back a little to thread the nut on out back.

Not sure about the short cable length, but it seems you may have gotten the wrong one.

Got it all hooked up! Had the clevis pin and clutch lever all greased up and the wing nut barely threaded on. Pulled back the clutch arm while my older son secured the clutch lever to the pedal. I used a heavy duty magnet to hold the clutch pedal all the way up to the underside of the floor. Just need to adjust the tension now. I noticed one of the welds popped loose from the frame. I will tack that up tomorrow as well. That was a lot more involved then I originally thought it would be.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Adjusted the tension and welded the tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shifts nicely now but I am on edge thinking the cable is going to snap.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:

Why? You just installed a new one, greased it up, and repaired the tube. Motor on freely, keep a spare cable and some tools in the bus, and learn to shift without the clutch for emergencies.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:

If that was my bus, I'd weld it in a few other places like the top where the seam split. Then, protect the welds with a good primer and paint. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

Why? You just installed a new one, greased it up, and repaired the tube. Motor on freely, keep a spare cable and some tools in the bus, and learn to shift without the clutch for emergencies.

Agreed. She is much better off with the new parts, welded tube and being freshly greased. However, I have now experienced first hand the amount of force it takes to barely pull the transmission clutch arm back enough so I could thread the wing nut to the cable. It just seems these cables should be thicker.

wcfvw69 wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

If that was my bus, I'd weld it in a few other places like the top where the seam split. Then, protect the welds with a good primer and paint. Wink

Done and done.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

Agreed. She is much better off with the new parts, welded tube and being freshly greased. However, I have now experienced first hand the amount of force it takes to barely pull the transmission clutch arm back enough so I could thread the wing nut to the cable. It just seems these cables should be thicker.

Those cables are pretty tough as long as they aren't rubbing on anything and their route is correct. Should last tens of thousands of miles.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

Those cables are pretty tough as long as they aren't rubbing on anything and their route is correct. Should last tens of thousands of miles.

That's what I am hoping for!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
I have now experienced first hand the amount of force it takes to barely pull the transmission clutch arm back enough so I could thread the wing nut to the cable.

So true.

I made this tool to pull the arm so I can use my legs against the two wheels and hold the handle near my chest while doing the nut.

This one is made from chain link fence tension wire but a garage door spring has safety wire inside that is like this.

Dubskii wrote:
It just seems these cables should be thicker..

Original VW ones are.

Thicker than 3.5mm or .14inch. The original VW diameter is kinder on all the sliding areas as it less cutting.

You will be fine for long while as long as nothing is binding.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Dubskii wrote:
I have now experienced first hand the amount of force it takes to barely pull the transmission clutch arm back enough so I could thread the wing nut to the cable.

So true.

I made this tool to pull the arm so I can use my legs against the two wheels and hold the handle near my chest while doing the nut.

This one is made from chain link fence tension wire but a garage door spring has safety wire inside that is like this.

Dubskii wrote:
It just seems these cables should be thicker..

Original VW ones are.

Thicker than 3.5mm or .14inch. The original VW diameter is kinder on all the sliding areas as it less cutting.

You will be fine for long while as long as nothing is binding.

Interesting. I tried to use large C-clamp between the trans clutch arm and the Bowden Tube but there wasn't enough room for it to fit.

Come to think of it, I should just workout more!!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Every time I replace or adjust a clutch cable on a VW, I envision a nice leverage tool that would easily pull and hold that clutch arm forward about an inch or two so the cable would be slack for adjustment. I can still picture it in my head, but I have not made one yet. It's only been 30 years, what's the rush?
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

I used a length of 1/4" nylon rope. Wrapped it around the arm, then while facing up at the clutch arm, I wrapped the other end around my shoulder/elbow while my back was off the ground. Then I just leaned back and the weight of my fat self pulled the rope down and the clutch arm back. I screwed in the wingnut using my free hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:
I used a length of 1/4" nylon rope. Wrapped it around the arm, then while facing up at the clutch arm, I wrapped the other end around my shoulder/elbow while my back was off the ground. Then I just leaned back and the weight of my fat self pulled the rope down and the clutch arm back. I screwed in the wingnut using my free hand.

That is a good idea. I suppose a ratchet strap of sorts would do the trick, too.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Picked up an OG wiper switch from Campingbox. Cleaned it up a bit. All I need now is the time to install all my new electrical items.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

That wiper switch looks new. Campingbox always has quality stuff.

Just wanted to add that this tool only is to relieve tension on the arm return spring. It will not pull the pressure plate.
BarryL wrote:
I made this tool to pull the arm...while doing the nut.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
That wiper switch looks new. Campingbox always has quality stuff.

Just wanted to add that this tool only is to relieve tension on the arm return spring. It will not pull the pressure plate.
BarryL wrote:
I made this tool to pull the arm...while doing the nut.

Thanks for the clarification!
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Number of things...

Just before the my boys and I headed to Prado to camp I received the stickers for my yellow and black YOM plates.

Speaking of camping, this was the first time my boys and I have camped and we did it at Prado and with my bus. Doubley or is that triplely cool!

While at Prado I picked up the rear pressed bumper from Gerson.

All around fantastic long weekend!!! Never enough time to enjoy the festivities.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

That is awesome. Congrats!
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Bumber painted.

Bumper fuaxed and installed. What a b**ch! It has been so long without a bumper that I need to get used to the look.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 21

Jump to: