Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resealing propane lines at the floor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayaredoubleyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Resealing propane lines at the floor Reply with quote

I'm reassembling my van after replacing a panel behind the kitchen cabinets which required removing all the cabinetry (I don't recommend a 4 month gap between taking these out and putting them back in, btw).

When i took out the propane lines all of the insulation/seals between them and the van disintegrated. I still have the two metal plates that fit together to form the two holes, but I'm wondering what people have used to create a water tight seal to prevent water from coming up through the floor?
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Resealing propane lines at the floor Reply with quote

I bought some 4x4 neoprene squares off of Amazon and cut them to match. You may want to cut "x" slits instead of trying to cut holes to allow for the gas lines (and connectors) to fit through.
I also replaced the sink drain and water reservoir drain seals as well. I don't remember which thickness I used where, but just use your judgement and it should work out. They've been in place for about a year and a half with no issues. Of course I didn't think to take any pics at the time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KADUHGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
jayaredoubleyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Resealing propane lines at the floor Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
I bought some 4x4 neoprene squares off of Amazon and cut them to match. You may want to cut "x" slits instead of trying to cut holes to allow for the gas lines (and connectors) to fit through.
I also replaced the sink drain and water reservoir drain seals as well. I don't remember which thickness I used where, but just use your judgement and it should work out. They've been in place for about a year and a half with no issues. Of course I didn't think to take any pics at the time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KADUHGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link! I was considering a very similar thing with rubber sheeting, the neoprene is a really good idea. I think this is going to be an area that I monitor on my annual check from now on. I'm always amazed at how this stuff has largely done its job for 30 years, then you touch it and it disintegrates... Rolling Eyes
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Resealing propane lines at the floor Reply with quote

Yep. There was no way I could reuse mine after I got them off. So far, so good.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Resealing propane lines at the floor Reply with quote

I dealt with this, too. I just used some weatherstripping (probably leftover from my airbox reseal), stuck to the sheet metal. It's not the best thing but so far my propane lines are fine. Also, I messed up one of the lines (bent and crimped) and had to replace it with this stuff:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, so far, so good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: