Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Is it finished.
You've gone quiet, so I hope yes, and you are out enjoying it.

619 201 0310
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

So yeah, long time, no post. The new job has monopolized a lot of my time, but in a good way. I still have the van and it's not finished yet, but I have been working on it here and there. I've completed a couple of projects since my last posting, including an auxiliary gas tank and transaxle cooler. I'm back on it now, pushing to get the interior sorted. I hope to have some updates soon.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

I’ll speak on behalf of the entire forum and say that it’s great to hear from you Signalocity!!!
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
I’ll speak on behalf of the entire forum and say that it’s great to hear from you Signalocity!!!

Ditto!
Check out the NC roll call thread. We’ve got a meet coming up and would all love to see your rig in person!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

I've almost forgotten how to do this. So one upgrade I decided on, was more of an opportunity and not so much planned. Ben T had organized another group buy for some auxiliary gas tanks and I decided to jump in on this one. I went for the fitted passenger side option, so as to have refueling done on the same side of the van. The one thing I wanted, was to include a sending unit for a fuel gauge. I opted to go with the following model.

https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/product/681/Fuel-Level-Capacitance-Universal-Sender-(3-5

It's pretty universal, but since I already had Speedhut gauges, it made the most sense. The only downside is that I had to space the tank down about 3/4" to gain enough clearance for it. I was still above the crash bars, so I let it slide. They do not have much in the way of mounting options, but I was able to source a stainless mounting plate from Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-sp-ss/overview/

I cut a hole in the tank and had the flange welded on.

The tank did come with two mounting straps, but they were not quite as fitted as I would have liked. Since I spaced the tank down some, they didn't do me much good anyhow. I ended up making my own and added one more just because.

I did a lot of research on how best to approach the filler. I was originally going to utilize a 2WD Westy fill neck and went so far as to get a used one, but it would have taken a fair bit of work to get it mounted and would still need to be modified to work with the tank. I ended up going with a universal filler, in the stock 2WD location and piecing together the hose work myself.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/perko-deck-fuel-fill-with-locking-cap.html

I like this one since it had a locking cap with cover and the hose diameter was the right size. The downside being that it was not vented. I got around this by using another Jagsthatrun.com adapter.

https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/best-sellers/p...1436632107

I used a factory and pump and filter (the filter is not really needed, but I figured both the pump and filter together would work as a back up, should the mains fail) and plumbed it into the vent line.

I'll post the gauge later on as I continue to work on the interior.

All in all it works well and I'm happy with the result and the added range. I might re-work the design on the tank itself later on, to better suite my needs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Applause
As usual, very nice work!
Thanks for the excellent documentation.
Any plans for protection of the tank?

p.s. you need to go out and get that thing dirty!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Applause
As usual, very nice work!
Thanks for the excellent documentation.
Any plans for protection of the tank?

p.s. you need to go out and get that thing dirty!

Thanks! I'll eventually get some rock sliders for some added side protection, but I'll doubt i'll do much else underneath. My litmus test is if it's above the stock crash bars, i'm fine with it. Although I feel the van is plenty off-road capable (for a camper van), my endgame is overland and not off-roading. If I come across an obstacle that I can drive over, through or around ... I'm going around. My stock crash bars the last time I checked, had over a foot of clearance and I'm not traversing anything with near that much reach, unless it's some type of emergency. If serious off-road is the goal, I wouldn't recommend installing this style of tank to begin with.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Super-sweet!

How soon after a mod like this do we say “replace the fuel lines!”?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Working on my Syncro over the past year, I think I've used this thread for reference as much as the Bentley. Thanks for the detail and photos; they have become an indispensable resource!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Super-sweet!

How soon after a mod like this do we say “replace the fuel lines!”?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It would still be way easier than stock Wink
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Working on my Syncro over the past year, I think I've used this thread for reference as much as the Bentley. Thanks for the detail and photos; they have become an indispensable resource!

That's great to hear, glad it helped!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

I'm looking for a standard GL model full width rear seat/bed, the one with standard passenger van flat interior panels. Any color is fine, but needs to be complete with frame, upper and lower cushions/boards, latches in good shape and the latch pins. I would like to pick up local to Charlotte NC, or within driving distance, but would consider paying for shipping as well. If anyone has a lead, I'd appreciate it!
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Good to see you posting again and nice work as always. Another fuel tank is also on my list since I have the two wheel drive filler still on the van.

I'm going to try to do an update on my madness as well.

I just happen to have a complete blue Zbed from my donar van in good condition including the rear mattress.

let me know if it might work for you.

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

87vanwes wrote:
Good to see you posting again and nice work as always. Another fuel tank is also on my list since I have the two wheel drive filler still on the van.

I'm going to try to do an update on my madness as well.

I just happen to have a complete blue Zbed from my donar van in good condition including the rear mattress.

let me know if it might work for you.

I was just catching up on your thread the other day. I'll send you a PM.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Thanks for the inspiration. I cleaned my under body using the 2k primer you recommended and then color matched top coat. Did you use anything after the top coat?
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Thanks for the inspiration. I cleaned my under body using the 2k primer you recommended and then color matched top coat. Did you use anything after the top coat?

Shaggin, I didn't use any sort of clear coat, no. Just the primer and top coat.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

do you have the specs on the tank? (capacity & dimensions)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SnoopyPod91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

I am a new Samba member but a long time Samba follower who recently found his first Vanagon in the Samba Classifieds. I just binged read all 32 pages of vanagon love in this thread and anything I would say has already been said, but, after reading all 32 pages it would be criminal not to at least tell you how awesome you and your van are. I actually had a '78 bay in that color green.

If you get as crazy on the interior as you did on the mechanicals and paint, you may just give Drive Nacho Drive a run for their money on the greatest Syncro build of all time. Awesome!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
do you have the specs on the tank? (capacity & dimensions)

Tjet - The capacities are listed in the following. I did not measure the tank and since there is a lot of effort on the part of others to supply these, I won't post those specifics. There are similar pictures and relevant information here on the Samba and around the web, to where it shouldn't be too hard to devise dimensions with a little crawling around under your van. You'd have to reach out to Ben T to see if he is arranging any further group buys. I only purchased the tank and straps (didn't end up using the straps) and sourced everything else myself.

Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

SnoopyPod91 wrote:
I am a new Samba member but a long time Samba follower who recently found his first Vanagon in the Samba Classifieds. I just binged read all 32 pages of vanagon love in this thread and anything I would say has already been said, but, after reading all 32 pages it would be criminal not to at least tell you how awesome you and your van are. I actually had a '78 bay in that color green.

If you get as crazy on the interior as you did on the mechanicals and paint, you may just give Drive Nacho Drive a run for their money on the greatest Syncro build of all time. Awesome!

Snoop, congrats on your acquisition! I appreciate the sentiment. I'm making progress, but it's slow. I have the transaxle cooler wrapped up (I'll update on that asap) and I'm currently working on an A/C system, which is coming along. Once that's done, I'll get on the meat and potatoes of the interior. My approach will be vastly different than that of Nacho, but I think I have a few good ideas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: