Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Edit: It's hard to tell if "do the math" is you saying that you think it's obvious why Vanagon prices are falling, or if you're just a VanFanBoy like the rest of us?

I mean that people were buying GoWesty "good as new" vans for $60-85K and now you can get a comparable brand new Mercedes pop top camper for much less.

I think Vanagon prices have hit a ceiling just because thereare other options that are not very high priced like Metris/Sprinter/Ford/Dodge and such. Certain models will command more money because of rarity and mint condition.

Just a regular guy
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

If you bought a Vanagon in the last ten years, you probably paid too much; the Go Westy tax.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

While I understand comparing prices, hassles, and mileage against a modern van, the fact remains that none of them can do backroads anything like even a 2WD Vanagon. Not even close, unless you spend north of a buck-twenty on an off-road shorty Sprinter... which mostly demands it's too expensive to take the roads it was made for.

Lest we also forget that our engines are in the right end and not a single one of theirs are. Add in a long history and a perennial image of true freedom and a Sprinter's not even close. Hell, I can almost never even get them to wave while most Vanagons attract new friendships like a nuclear magnet.

We meet wide-eyed, early-20-somethings nearly every day, and not a one of them have ever mentioned a rat's worth of interest in Sprinters. That market is for an older crowd in both finances and, Ahem, style. Let's give the youngers a decade and they'll have good money for an operable Vanagon.

Markets driven by passion always come back... I see the very same with race cars... but all this said, I've yet to see any concerning correction anyway.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
#vanlife is an alternative internet reality, that’s why.

If #vanlife has dialed back on the cleavage (due to the social pressures of the day...) viewership may have reduced accordingly. Less purchases leads to lower prices.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If you bought a Vanagon in the last ten years, you probably paid too much; the Go Westy tax.

Agreed. Now that GoWesty no longer sells vans, there's no (high) price to point at. I wonder how the lack of GoWesty vans will affect insurance claims.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

that's it right there.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

The difference is anyone can own/drive a Transit or Metris, but who looks at them as they drive by? The VW is a way of life, not just a means of transportation. If you want to cruse the country in style, buy your self a Sprinter, if you want a way of life, own a VW...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

The mantra that internet viewership correlates to sales is flawedacross many markets and I suspect that’s true here.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:
pdm777 wrote:

BIG factor in resale prices, the 20-30 yr olds just don't believe
in turning a wrench or learning how to maintain and service.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

c'mon grandpa, give up the "kids these days" schtick. plenty of younger members here, and even more on the various FB pages.

My 20-something daughter just did an oil change on her car with me. My son isn't a car guy, but we've done transmission and power steering fluid exchanges and he can swap out his winter to summer tires, and uses a torque wrench on the wheels.
How many adults now do their own car maintenance? Not many - I've heard "you can't work on car nowadays" for at least 2 decades.

There are plenty of 20-30 year olds in the car scene have far more wrenching skills I ever had art their age. In fact, they have more than I do now - ha!

Back to pricing - unfortunately unless someone has real data, we are just putting forth our opinions and. perhaps incorrect, casual observations. Having said that, I'll go Laughing

Seems Westies are staying relatively constant, while tin-tops have climbed quite a bit and seem that the nicer ones are asking even more money than a year ago. Even more so for tin-top Syncros. Some of the prices for tin-top syncros with dings, interior bits missing and have 160K-200K on them and need, or will need, an engine, tranny rebuild and/or VC soon. The result is a net semi-finished price where you can just go buy a Toyota Tacoma Pro - that seems crazy to me.

I've seen at least 3 flippers get caught selling cars far below what I, and I am sure they, though the vans would sell for -like a Syncro Pop-top Weekender with new paint that sold for $16K on Bring-a-trailer recently.

In my mind the best values are actually the higher price 2WD Westies by knowledgable owners that have a engine rebuild or swap, tranny was rebuilt, CV's, radiator replaced, re-upholstered, a long list of quality parts replaced in the last 5 years, etc. and are selling for high 20's into the low 30's.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

I have not seen many screaming deals. Nice vans bring good money. I believe New Van options have impacted the market. I hope buyers are researching purchases of used Vanagons. They have always been all over the map. There is a glut of pre 86 Westy builders out there. That glut impacts the market too. Many of the sub 10K to 15K vans I have seen will quickly demand big dollars and or labor hours to make them a high quality Westy. Nice 2WD Westys are still priced very high in my opinion. I own one, love it, and have a lot invested in it.
I'm not trying to be a Syncro snob. The number of Syncros produced vs 2WD vans is a pretty small percentage. I forget the number. Syncros went crazy a few years ago. Now 2WDs have followed. Many people built wonderful 2WD vans as suspension options became available. There are a lot of 2WDs out there, and they are capable. I think that combined with new alternatives for a 4WD van have softened the Syncro market. The 2WD market will follow. In the end, a well prepared van is worth a fortune. Vanagons deliver an experience I have not found in any other vehicle yet. The Vanagon footprint has not been recreated. Its efficiency and capability were and are outstanding. When compared to newer vehicles they still triumph in many areas.
Advice, don't buy builders unless they are very cheap. If you are buying a van that is supposed to be well sorted, have a pro inspect it. Then be prepared to spend some money. It will still be valuable in five years. The new van will depreciate at a much higher rate then a Vanagon.

Last edited by BavarianWrench on Wed May 23, 2018 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The mantra that internet viewership correlates to sales is flawedacross many markets and I suspect that’s true here.

Is this comedy or irony?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Is this comedy or irony?

Why both, of course.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Last week I met a guy with a recently purchased Sprinter. He was admiring my Westfalia and mentioned he wanted one but could not find a solid one in his price range so he went Sprinter. He said nice late model Westfalias were commanding top dollar. 3 months ago while van camping on the coast we had Sprinters on each side of us one of the owners was admiring our Westfalia and said the exact same thing as the guy last week.

I have a friend with a Eurovan Westfalia and wants out he would like a Vanagon Westfalia but cannot afford the current asking prices.

When ours leaves the driveway at least 50% of the time I am stopped with questions and admiration from folks that are very interested in the vehicle. Maybe 1 out of 10 times we are asked if we would sell but they know the answer as they are asking.

I just do not see any platform currently readily available in the states that does what the Vanagon platform provides. It is the perfect vehicle for my wife and I.

If GW was still sourcing prime condition Westfalias and adding a ton of time and money into them would they be selling them for any less today?

I still see prime Syncro Westfalias with near asking prices as GW but without the warranty that GW had. I see ones with rust not selling. A friend bought a mint 90 Syncro Westfalia all oem less than two years ago asking price was $40 think he paid $39k without hesitation, the sellers phone was ringing non-stop and it was in the Midwest.

Looks to me as if nice late model 2wd Westfalias are still listed in the $20- to mid 30s. No idea what they are selling for though.

Maybe prices are dropping in the last ten or maybe 10 more years of mileage, dents, and rust have caught up with the vehicle and owner?

Seems there is just as much interest in the Vanagon platform as ever at least ones in nice shape. We owned a Syncro tintop in about 2005. The Syncro tintops seem to have higher then ever asking prices.

Last edited by theadventureneverends on Wed May 23, 2018 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Geez, such snobbery. I've met so many different people in their different vans and we all have the same connection with them weather it's a Vanagon, Ford, Dodge.

I've spent more time than most people I know traveling up and down the west coast and can say I see a lot fewer Vanagons than I used to and lots more Transits, Sprinters, contractor vans. I've talked to some of those people and like me used to own a Vanagon. If I had the money to get something more modern with more space would I? Probably. But this is what I have right now and just like those people, I'm fully into it and fully in love with it.

https://youtu.be/HH3ruuml-R4

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville

Last edited by childofthewind on Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
Geez, such snobbery. I've met so many different people in their different vans and we all have the same connection with them weather it's a Vanagon, Ford, Dodge.

Depends on what you're looking for. A lot of the satisfaction I get from long-distance traveling in my Westy comes from the fact that I built most of it (with a large helping of assistance from The Samba, of course.) I wouldn't get the same satisfaction from a Transit or a Sprinter; I'd be getting about half of the overall experience that I thoroughly enjoy about these things.

If you need a vehicle to sleep and camp in on the way to your real passion, like rock climbing or mountain biking or spelunking or fire dancing or whatever, then by all means, spend $75k on a Sprinter, crank up the AC, and set the cruise control. Different strokes for different folks.

Vanagons are different. They LOOK COOL. No other vans look as good to me, new or old. There's a reason we all get approached at campgrounds and parking lots. They're freaking cool. German and utilitarian but stylish and rugged.

I try to encourage those who are interested to go ahead and buy a Vanagon. To learn all about what you're driving and to absorb all aspects of it, good and bad, can be quite a ride. In any case, you'll be changed by the experience whether you pay $50k or 500 bucks; just know that in many ways, it's a lifestyle choice.

I don't like to hear stories about people getting screwed out of big money, but I drove a total POS thousand-dollar '85 GL with leaking heads and bad CV's all over the country before I knew what I was doing. I used cheap, available parts and kept the thing going, and I have absolutely no regrets. I sold it to another kid who had the same starry eyes I had.

Those who attempt to talk people out of buying them, unless it's an extreme situation, I just don't get it.

To the point of the thread: I think the market is stabilizing based on a crowded and competitive overall market which is happening due to a new enthusiasm for camper vans in general. But Vanagons will not lose value. They will become more rare and more sought after. Once a truly viable electric conversion option is developed, the prices might even skyrocket.

<off soapbox>, but understand that I just spent five days in the desert with a bunch of people that would never have met if it weren't for Vanagons. And our shared experiences via oil leaks or faulty gas gauges or leaking heads or ripped CV boots, these are the familiar, kindred challenges that make us a community far more than anything else.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Since buying my van about 8 years ago, I think I've looked at sales prices 2 or 3 times.

What did I miss? Laughing
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
childofthewind wrote:

Vanagons are different. They LOOK COOL. No other vans look as good to me, new or old. There's a reason we all get approached at campgrounds and parking lots. They're freaking cool. German and utilitarian but stylish and rugged..

..but understand that I just spent five days in the desert with a bunch of people that would never have met if it weren't for Vanagons. And our shared experiences via oil leaks or faulty gas gauges or leaking heads or ripped CV boots, these are the familiar, kindred challenges that make us a community far more than anything else.

I agree that for me what I love the most is the utilitarian function of the Vanagon. And maybe it's age, but I don't really care how cool anything looks anymore. To each their own.

I as well just spent a couple weeks in the desert with people and their vans. Each one of us had a different van. We each checked out & geeked out over our own and one another's vans. I think I may have enjoyed that experience more than the VW meet-ups I've been to.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

Great discussion continues -- thanks all!

I agree that there is nothing (readily) available that does what a Vanagon does, how a Vanagon does it. (Forward control, small footprint, well thought out)

If you start to look at it a little more objectively (van, camper, sleeps 4) you can get an awful lot for your money under $20k, and it's usually newer, lower miles, more power and more features (hot water heater, furnace, etc).

The Vanagon has cachet, and depending on where you are in the country it either gets a lot of attention or hardly any at all.

Let's say you want to travel the 50 states over the next year. Your total budget for the trip is $50k. Syncro is out. Are you going to spend $25-30k on a mint 2WD Westy, or would you spend $10-20k on a conversion van?

I feel the vanlife movement initially caused a big spike in prices, but as the prices went up, more and more people we forced to consider the above. More money on van = less money for rest of trip.

Also a lot of people are talking about $20-30k Vanagons for sale, but a lot of those vans have been for sale for a long time and will continue to be for sale. Realistically how many people have paid over $20k for a 2WD with a stock motor? Not many. The sweet spot right now for a 2WD with stock motor I would guess is around the $13-17k on the west coast. This would represent something in very good (but not museum / collector) condition.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

There is no 'van life movement'

A couple of people with either trust funds or family backing driving around to experience the world isn't a movement. Taking some vacation time to drive around the country is just doing what Mom and Pop 1950s did in the Biscayne station wagon, only with more verve and élan.

Much like how Sail magazines sell a concept lifestyle, very few buyers of sailboats ever do what the magazine sells as the 'lifestyle'
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

When I bought my current Vanagon in '04, I did so simply because I regretted selling my '88 GL a year and a half before, and I'm nothing if not a creature of habit. At the time I was happily oblivious about GW, #vanlife and the whole Vanagon "community". I paid what I thought was a reasonable price ($4300) for a highly optioned fifteen year old model with all the features I liked. After I drove it home from LA I signed up for the Vanagon listserv, and was a bit shocked at how into these vans folks on there were. Vans were just utility trucks to me, so I wasn't all that passionate, and still can't quite muster the same level of starry-eyed obsession of most folks around here. I just like my Vanagon. I'm way more passionate about our EV, but that's because we go on adventures in it, and it's less truck-like in demeanor and performance. I can't imagine selling the Vanagon, 'cause...well, I just like my Vanagon. No bubbles for me, thanks.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or is the bubble bursting? Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Let's say you want to travel the 50 states over the next year. Your total budget for the trip is $50k. Syncro is out. Are you going to spend $25-30k on a mint 2WD Westy, or would you spend $10-20k on a conversion van?

Neither. I'd take my Alltrack, a tent, and probably stay in nice hotels every few days too. Shoot, that's what I really wanted to do for the trip I'm about to take to the desert this weekend but it's clear to me that my wife will "be more appreciative" if we take the van.

I've always struggled to understand the concept that "adventure" or more simply, "travel" requires a certain type of vehicle.

And I agree with Abscate 100% on the #vanlife thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: