Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I replace the water pump?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doverdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Should I replace the water pump? Reply with quote

I am putting in a new radiator and am also replacing all of the coolent hoses on the motor, should I replace the water pump while I'm at it? I have done the fuel lines. is there any other maintenance I should do while I am at it. also doing tuneup new belts and oil. thank you
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the water pump? Reply with quote

Is there play if you wriggle the pulley, if there's any sign of a leak, then yes, I would while you are in there, what year van, late are easier, if you have a pre 1986, and it looks unloved, you could be in for a headache, sized and broken bolts, early water pumps can be a nightmare.
When you refit, use antisieze, especially if you think you may have the van long enough to need to get in there again.
If you have a 1.9 and it looks fine, you might want to leave it alone.

619 201 0310
Doverdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the water pump? Reply with quote

it is a 90. Also do anyone sell a set of hose clamps for the motor coolent hoses? If not is there a list of the different clamps needed?
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the water pump? Reply with quote

Good reference site here:

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/ma...g/e#sec_32

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the water pump? Reply with quote

While your coolant is drained and you are working near your water pump anyway, replace your oil cooler seal.

I used constant-tension band type clamps from McMaster-Carr. It was helpful for me to look at this site to learn the hose diameters in order to know which clamps to buy. http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/VWtoNapaHoses.html

You may have already, but check your heater hoses and pipes. Mine looked to be about to blow which is why I started my cooling system project to begin with.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the water pump? Reply with quote

if your water pump is of unknown age... I think you should replace it because the coolant is already out... and replace all the little hoses around the heat exchanger and the heat exchanger gasket too as suggested...
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the water pump? Reply with quote

And while you're there, hows the belts? Crank seal?

Sadly a simple repair/replacement ends up taking a week to fix everything you ran into.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: