Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApexScooby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am having a problem will my dual carb setup I recently got. I traded a 40hp for a 1915cc engine will the EMPI 34 EPC carb kit on it. yes everything works problem end play is great and the carbs are almost new. yes I know I got a steal but I'm having a problem with the linkage. when the carbs are connected to the linkage they are sticking wide open but when they are not connected they move freely and how they should. has anybody ever experienced this before and what can I do to fix this.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

I have that set. Even with the linkage fully aligned and adjusted I found that the little springs down on the outside of the carbs didn't quite close the butterflies fully once the throttle cable was attached. I added some larger springs from the top of the linkage on each side for now (it looks stupid and is a litttle more than was needed but it was what I had laying around, and works for me to get the car rolling until a cleaner solution). I've seen someone put a spring on the throttle cable to "push" it away from the fan shroud as well.

If yours are sticking wide open though, thats a bit more than I was dealing with. Post some pictures and people will chime in with ideas.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
ApexScooby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

@Buggeee

its only stick fully open when its connected to the Hex-Bar. individually they open and close flawlessly but once connected they barely want to go down when pressing on the gas and if I move them with my hands they stick at the bottom. can I like grease the ends of the Hex-Bar to get them to move better or is it coming from somewhere else. this is my first dual carb set up I have ever had and I'm stilling learning
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

That hex bar should move freely, without binding. Mine has a ball on each end that sets in a socket. By adjusting the ends of the bar in and out the balls get stuck in the holders on the side tighter or looser (in other words the bar is adjusted to be longer or shorter until there is no play in it but it still rotates easily).

Also, each of those joints at the top and bottom of the little stick that leads from the hex bar down to the carburetor, each of those joints should be super easy to move without any binding. One of mine was real tight feeling and I could not get it loosey goosey with oil or silicone or anything so I had to order a new one. Don't know why, but it was and I did. I got the little bar with both ends on it in the mail and they were nice and loose and then I could get it working. Check those to make sure they are loose like your knee joint, or elbow.

Plus you have to oblige with some pictures. It's just the right thing to do.

Edit: and yes, you can lubricate the joints, at least I did.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

ApexScooby, you need to search on how to install weber 34 ict's which your empis are a copy of.
theres lots of information on these carbs as they have been around since the 1900's
ApexScooby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. I’m currently waiting on some parts to get delivered today but I’ll post some pics up in this thread
ApexScooby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

Time for a little update.

I got everything set up but I have a vacuum leak and a fuel leak. I'm pretty sure the vacuum leak is coming from the driver side intake manifold since I didn't have the correct nuts. (Don't worry I have the brass nuts on there way.) the fuel leak I think is coming from where the carb and manifold meet. I'm not sure if it wasn't seated properly or there's a more serious problem but I have never gaskets for that as well. I did get everything running and that is how I found these problems. I'm just excited to get the car some what running since it was sat for a few months. thank you everyone for the help.
ApexScooby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

Update time once again

I got the car running good now. I had to order those special brass nuts but I got rid of the vacuum leak and fuel leak. I have drove the car around the block a few times and everything works as it should.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.
Vanderhiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual EMPI 34 EPC Carb Problem Reply with quote

Any further long term updates on how the 34 Epc carbs have performed? Looking on putting them on a 1600 dual port in a 71 bus. Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: