Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrEnglishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

I have a 1959 Single cab that has a Oct 62 engine (number 7246324)
It has the twin pipe exhaust on it, but no rear bumper. In order for me to return to a normal single pipe exhaust (and put her bumper back on) what exhaust can I buy? I believe it's a 1200 beetle engine and I can't seem to find a single pipe exhaust. Here are pics of the old box:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 14.17.31 by uknunn, on Flickr
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 14.17.09 by uknunn, on Flickr
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 14.17.24 by uknunn, on Flickr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

You will need to sort out the engine you have now. Especially the heads used on it.

Posting images of the engine will greatly help.

An early 1200cc can with some machining be changed into an otherwise stock 1600cc. Muffler difference between 40 HP and stock 1300/1500/1600 is about 5/8" (16mm) difference in width from head to head. So a 40 HP muffler will not fit a 1300/1500/1600 and visa versa.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

If it's 40hp there are several for sale:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

Also, given that it is not original to the '59 SC, you'd need to decide whether you'd want stale air or fresh air 40hp setup. Stale air would be correct to the motor, while fresh air more "updated" haha. Post some pictures of the engine too, if you would, and the SC too. I'm working on a '59 SC as well!

If it were me, and I were running a 40hp, correct or not to the vehicle, I would maintain its originality as much as possible, but fresh air might be a better choice. Either way, there are both options available in the Classifieds as above.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

That serial number would be a November 1962 engine for the 1963 model year.
Fresh air was introduced in August 1962 for the 63 model year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrEnglishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

Pics as requested......

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 16.03.10 by uknunn, on Flickr
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 16.02.30 by uknunn, on Flickr
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 16.03.46 by uknunn, on Flickr
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
That serial number would be a November 1962 engine for the 1963 model year.
Fresh air was introduced in August 1962 for the 63 model year.

Actually, fresh air was introduced DEC62. The below from the VW dealer manual "Progressive Refinements":

Our DEC62 built SC was one of the last with stale air.

Much more info here:

http://www.oacdp.org/
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Actually, fresh air was introduced DEC62. The below from the VW dealer manual "Progressive Refinements":

I think that refers to the heat exchangers not the fan housing? What do you make of the fan housing change in August?

EDIT: I do see in the parts manual the fan housing change after the OP's engine number. Does this also apply to beetle engines?

Last edited by nlorntson on Wed May 23, 2018 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

Does the rear tin fit the heat riser pipes of the intake manifold?? Looks like a 1600 rear tin and engine looks like early 40 HP.

Missing lower rear cylinder tin.

Do you have the proper carb pre-heat tube that bolts to the LH muffler to head connection??

Vacuum line is installed arse backwards The hump is there to keep fuel from the carb getting down to the distributor vacuum can and ruining the rubber diaphragm in it. With hump lower than the carb connection, fuel will travel downhill....

Post an image showing the intake to head connection.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

I think that refers to the heat exchangers not the fan housing? What do you make of the fan housing change in August?

There was a late stale air fan shroud that I've heard of/seen, looked like the fresh air shroud w/o the ducting...if I find an example picture, I'll post it.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

EDIT: I do see in the parts manual the fan housing change after the OP's engine number. Does this also apply to beetle engines?

That is the change to the almost fresh air fan shroud. Has side humps just like the fresh air shroud, but does not have the fresh air hose connections.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5737194&highlight=#5737194

Yes, applies to type 1 also.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

MrEnglishman wrote:
Pics as requested......

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 16.03.46 by uknunn, on Flickr

Badass.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

Get your tins and seals squared away and source a NOS 40hp muffler on here. My '61 has a fresh air 40hp from a beetle installed, unfortunately they hacked the bumper and apron to fit the beetle tail pipes initially. You can get all the tail pipe stuff from Wolfsburg West. Luckily I was able to find an NOS 'S' tail pipe on here as well.

MrEnglishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

I'm in the UK and so I need to source the exhaust in Europe. Shipping and taxes from America will be outrageous. Found this, but it's missing the round pieces either side, that are on the pipes. Correct or incorrect box?

http://www.kieftenklok.nl/shop/index.php/en/homepa...rettyPhoto
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 Single Cab with Oct 62 1200 engine. Need single pipe exhaust Reply with quote

Correct if you are going to return the engine now to stale air tin and heating system.

Again, please post image of where intake meets the head. Just want to make doubly sure it is 40 HP.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: