Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowered 65 Ghia and Deep Oil Sump
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msaltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Lowered 65 Ghia and Deep Oil Sump Reply with quote

I am having an engine built for my 65 Ghia and the builder is going to install a deep oil sump on the new engine. I plan on lowering the Ghia, as low as possible and I am concerned that the oil sump may be an issue with ground clearance. The sump will add approximately 2" to the bottom of the engine. Does anybody have a lowered Ghia with a deep oil sump or is it not a good idea to have the deep sump on a lowered Ghia? The engine is a 2180 so I am also not sure if I absolutely need to have the additional oil capacity on this engine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lowered 65 Ghia and Deep Oil Sump Reply with quote

Its always a balancing act. I dont think i would want to run a stroker motor with only 2.5 qts of oil. I have a Berg 3.5 qt sump on my ghia (im not super low) it never comes close to hitting. The exhaust is the lowest part and Ive never touched it either.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
msaltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered 65 Ghia and Deep Oil Sump Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight, I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a major issue.

Thanks,
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lowered 65 Ghia and Deep Oil Sump Reply with quote

If you are really concerned, you may be able to find an off-road skid plate that would fit and provide an extra level of "just in case" protection.

If you can't find an "off the shelf" skid plate that fits, I'd imagine that some sort of custom skid plate could be designed to protect the deep sump from potential damage yet still be easily removed for engine maintenance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: