Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Calipers with miss-matched parts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Calipers with miss-matched parts Reply with quote

So while the engine's off being over-hauled, I figured I'd better start on the brakes. I ordered the A-1 Cardone calipers from RockAuto, however one side ended up being out of stock, although the other side had already shipped out. I ended up finding the other side (19-449) from Amazon, for $25! (Also the last one in stock)

So all the parts have arrived and I have one discrepancy; each of the calipers came with different 'installation' parts. The 19-448 from Rockauto is a rebuild caliper and came with pins and clip. the 19-449 from Amazon is brand new and only came with pad back-plates.

For ATE calipers, do I need to buy another set of back-plates and another set of pins/clips, so that they're all new? I'm not sure if these are generic across all brands, or if I need to try and find specific ones.... Or will the old pins/clips suffice?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Calipers with miss-matched parts Reply with quote

try to keep both sides the same. You can use used pins and backing plates if you don't have a full set or buy a set. I'm probably not a good judge of rebuilt calipers because I have always rebuilt my own.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Calipers with miss-matched parts Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
So while the engine's off being over-hauled, I figured I'd better start on the brakes. I ordered the A-1 Cardone calipers from RockAuto, however one side ended up being out of stock, although the other side had already shipped out. I ended up finding the other side (19-449) from Amazon, for $25! (Also the last one in stock)

So all the parts have arrived and I have one discrepancy; each of the calipers came with different 'installation' parts. The 19-448 from Rockauto is a rebuild caliper and came with pins and clip. the 19-449 from Amazon is brand new and only came with pad back-plates.

For ATE calipers, do I need to buy another set of back-plates and another set of pins/clips, so that they're all new? I'm not sure if these are generic across all brands, or if I need to try and find specific ones.... Or will the old pins/clips suffice?

Rockauto has pin and spring kits for cheap that do both calipers. All of the brands they list are good for this part. Carlson parts are excellent as are the Wagners. Typically for these parts, lately the Centric have been re-bagged ATE or FAG parts.
I have not gone wrong with any of those three brands.

Bus depot has some of the anti-rattle plates...I do not know if this is one of the better ones or the exact match to what you have.

http://www.busdepot.com/211615232

They also have the springs and pins for slight;y more than what RA does....but the shipping should be all one baggy.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Calipers with miss-matched parts Reply with quote

Finally getting some work done. The brake pads I got (CENTRIC 10200451) say that they're already 'shimmed'. I can't seem to get the 'notched' shim that was already in the calipers to fit in with these pads. I know they're supposed to keep the piston from turning, affect where the pad meets the rotor, etc... but will it be ok to just run these shimmed pads without the notches?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Calipers with miss-matched parts Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Finally getting some work done. The brake pads I got (CENTRIC 10200451) say that they're already 'shimmed'. I can't seem to get the 'notched' shim that was already in the calipers to fit in with these pads. I know they're supposed to keep the piston from turning, affect where the pad meets the rotor, etc... but will it be ok to just run these shimmed pads without the notches?

Are the pistons notched on the new calipers? If not no need to run the cutout shims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Calipers with miss-matched parts Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:

There are shims....and there are anti-rotation or anti rattle or anti-tilt plates....whatever you want to call them. They are different.

Many pads come already "shimmed" these days. The shims they are speaking of are flat soft steel or aluminum shims that are adhered to the back of the pads. Their purpose is to deform very slightly to the shape of of the piston to "bed-in" any variations, rust crud etc....to slightly lock the pads to the piston so that they create less harmonic squeal and transfer pressure evenly....so yes they are good an important.

However...these are not to be confused with...nor do they take the place of...the anti-rotation plate from the factory that fits into the cut-out. While the factory plate does help some with anti-squeal...that its not its prime purpose. You need that factory plate. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Calipers with miss-matched parts Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, TB,

I will try and tap the anti-rotation plates in then. The rotors are new, so perhaps that's one reason why it's such a tight fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: