Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch cable into tube
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

Anybody have advice on getting the clutch cable into the tube? Pedals are out and I've tried everything, but can't feel or see the tube through the access hole. I can see the tube from the shifter opening and it's sold and not broken. I'm getting ready to cut an access panel into the passenger side of the tunnel at this point.
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

I'm not super familiar with the details of the early Bugs, but is there not an access panel in the front end of the frame head to remove and replace the shifter rod?

If so, you should be able to see the end of the clutch cable tube using a flash light while looking down through this opening from the front. Obviously, you couldn't look through it and fish the cable in at the same time, but seeing the end of the tube might give you a clearer idea of what goes where through the pedal cluster hole in the side of the tunnel.

Alternatively, maybe you could push a piece of wire through the tube from the rear until it comes out at the front. Snag that through the pedal cluster hole and perhaps you might be able to use that to pull the new clutch cable into the hole in the tube.

Cutting a hole in the passenger side of the tunnel seems a bit extreme.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

On the Ovals the cable tube is located about in the center of the tunnel. Cutting an access hole is not advised. Look at your pedal cluster and measure the distance between the mounting flange and the clutch cable hook. Your cable tube is located about one inch south of that hook. Take out the driver seat and get a new angle for your body or borrow someone else's body to help you out. You can do this.
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys... seats are out and I managed to get as far forward as possible but still no sign of the tube. Tomorrow, I will try and feed a wire in from the back side and get it to pop out up front, then tape the new cable to the wire and pull it through, hope it works.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

I just did a clutch cable on a 56 pan a few months ago. Ended up using a mirror and flashlight to see what was going on inside the tunnel. It took me quite a while to get it in there compared to a later beetle. Just be patient....it likes to naturally go everywhere BUT the clutch tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

A dental mirror & flashlight are how we found ours inside the tunnel...

And just like the post above? Allot of patience...
ESQ747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

Guidance:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies guys... after 2 days I finally got it.
Ran a cable backwards from the rear, then taped the new one and pulled it through. Still took 2 people and about 5 tries...
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

Cool! It took me a lot more tries than that. I remember thinking that I hope this cable never breaks on a trip somewhere. I'll just have it towed, no way am I doing that as a roadside fix. A later model clutch cable I can do in about 45 min...with adjustment.
bluebeetle1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

I did mine with the aid of a long length of 3 core mains electric cable!

I took the access panel off the front of the car - the one by the front beam...
Then threaded the cable through from the rear of the car and all the way out the front.

I used insulation tape to attach the clutch cable to the length of electrical cable end to end and this then allows me to pull the clutch cable back through the car!

The only thing was I ended up doing this 5 times as thanks to some unknown reason the stock clutch cable just wasn't long enough - so I ended up using a late '70s cable to be able to get everything hooked up properly!
It cost me a fortune in clutch cable and express shipping!

I too hope never to break one when I'm away from home....

June 1957 "Big Window" Oval Beetle! Yes it does really exist....
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable into tube Reply with quote

I just did this project and what a complete and utter MOFO! This post was super helpful. My beef was that my old cable was being illusive when I removed the pedal assembly. Then of course it wasn’t moving too freely, so I used the rooter method using a cordless drill. Sadly I messed up and pulled the old cable through the rear of the car….So the cable eye that attaches to the clutch pedal got jammed in the tunnel. Fortunately I was able to knock that out by jamming my new cable into the conduit from the back and jarring it free. Greased up the new cable and back to pedal assembly. Definitely not a repair that I hope to see anytime soon.

Fortunately my bug gets free labor from me otherwise it would owe me several beers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: