Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

picture hosting - Photobucket sux
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I use FireFox, and I installed that "fix", and the photos show now (at least on my computer !!!).

For the third time in 3 days, I couldn't log into Photobucket, that place sucks big time.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

www.TeamViewer.com lets my IT expert Son fix my computer problems remotely! You probably have friends/family who could do the same for you.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Well well!

guess that didn't go how they thought it would?

:lol

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/...ce=twitter
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Well well!

They're still going to charge individuals a minimum of $1.99 + $2.49 = $4.48 A MONTH to host your photos and allow 3rd-party viewing. Do the math... almost $54 MINIMUM A YEAR for the privilege of putting your photos on PB and allowing others to view them.

Sorry, PB, but that dog won't hunt no more. Back a couple of years ago I was willing to pay you $20 a year for the convenience of faster uploads and no ads, but now you want nearly $60 a year? Not going to happen.

What PB should have done (and still should do) is to go after the owners of the websites that make money off of selling advertising based on visitor hits looking at the content created and posted on those same sites by others. Follow the money, PB, you bunch of morons... Go after the folks making money off of the content you're hosting, which are not the people who are uploading their photos to your site.

Why on earth would I - or anyone else - pay PB to make content that I create available to visitors on other websites that make advertising money off of my content?

'Course, this all pretty moot since PB has killed the goose that laid the golden egg. Websites now offer their visitors on-site photo-hosting which keeps the freshly created and posted content all in-house. Those sites might have paid PB's blood money a couple of years ago, but not now.

PB has gone the way of the dodo, and is now an internet evolutionary dead end.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I would not have paid but obviously this site has it's own hosting of pics.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I would not have paid but obviously this site has it's own hosting of pics.

TS is a fairly non-commercial site. By that, I mean that 3rd party, paid advertising seems to make up a relatively minor part in the total content on the site.

I was thinking more of some of the other sites that I patronize that are just jam packed with ads - up and down the pages. Clearly those sites make more than just a little money from their advertising. A lot of those sites also charge viewers if they want to read the content without the ads. Some of those will try to block viewers who use ad-blocker software. Yet those same sites rely on free contributed content to attract viewers, and the more and better that content, the more viewers they get and the more they can charge for advertising.

In short, there are a lot of websites that rely almost exclusively on freely contributed content in order to make money. Photos hosted on PB and linked to those sites was a very significant part of that money-making content. Those websites had a financial interest in keeping that content flowing in from PB.

So, I guess my main point was that PB went after its users instead of even trying to get those sites that make money off of their advertising to pay PB for using content that came from PB's site. In essence, PB could have taken the approach of selling the content hosted on its site to other sites instead of charging the creators of that content for the privilege of giving away their creation to others.

Like many people, I had (actually still have) a PB account for years where I had uploaded probably several thousand photos. Almost all of those photos were linked to content that I had created and posted up on various websites. However, none of that content was ever paid for by those sites. The average PB user had absolutely no financial incentive to pay PB so that some website could make ad money from that user's photos.

PB wanted tried to charge the creators of the content rather than the users of that content.

Just like here on TS, the content was created and shared within enthusiasts groups, but whatever money that was being made was made by the site owners and not the content creators.

The vast majority of individual PB users made absolutely no money from the photos that they put up on PB, and those that were linking their photos to other websites also got no compensation from the websites that they contributed content to.

If there was any commercial monetary value to the photos archived on PB, that value would have been mainly found with the websites that used those photos as content to attract visitors and justify advertising rates. Foolishly, PB tried to exploit the wrong people and it backfired on them.

PB also failed to recognize its mistake for too long. Its actions caused a major and permanent shift in the way many websites handle content uploaded to them today. Many sites changed to make it easier for people to upload photos directly to them and then to link those photos to their forums and posts. There are still a lot of sites that don't have their own photo hosting, but most now do. The interweb model has changed so that websites now have taken control over their content, and it will never go back to a time when some entity like PB can put them at financial risk by holding that content hostage.

This change has made PB pretty much useless, and for those folks who do still want to store their photos online, it's made PB's competitors even more attractive.

Darwinism in the internet age... PB turned itself into the dodo bird of the interweb.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

SdAufKla wrote:
63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Well well!

They're still going to charge individuals a minimum of $1.99 + $2.49 = $4.48 A MONTH to host your photos and allow 3rd-party viewing. Do the math... almost $54 MINIMUM A YEAR for the privilege of putting your photos on PB and allowing others to view them.

Not sure where you get $4.48 a month. Their website says $2.49 a month.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
SdAufKla wrote:
They're still going to charge individuals a minimum of $1.99 + $2.49 = $4.48 A MONTH to host your photos and allow 3rd-party viewing.

Not sure where you get $4.48 a month. Their website says $2.49 a month.

It's a minimum of $2.25/month ($27/year) for 3rd party hosting if you do annual billing: http://photobucket.com/plans/#yearly .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I like them. Been there 10 years. Thousands of pics and videos. I’d happily pay $60/year for their service
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dreaming_of_traveling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

So there is really no way for all the images posted here to appear? I've tried the extensions suggested and I still can't load the images. I see that the extension is running and changing the url for each image, but it keeps getting "not found".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

My son copied all my Photobucket pics to Imgur with good results.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I'm now using Imgur as well, instead of Photobucket
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

dreaming_of_traveling wrote:
So there is really no way for all the images posted here to appear? I've tried the extensions suggested and I still can't load the images. I see that the extension is running and changing the url for each image, but it keeps getting "not found".

Often the image is just gone. If the poster deleted the image or their Photobucket account there's nothing the extension can do.
(and with all the nag emails Photobucket has been sending I don't blame people for just nuking their account)
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

a couple of years ago my friend wanted to buy an external hard drive to back-up/store her photos. we went to pc world where the young assistant told us it would be easier to save them on the cloud and explained what this was. so you want us to store these photos some remote server that we have no control over? what happens if they deny us access, want to start charging us access or sell our images to a third party? oh no, I'm sure they wouldn't do that, it's quite safe! was his reply.
needless to say we purchased an external hard drive...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

finster wrote:
a couple of years ago my friend wanted to buy an external hard drive to back-up/store her photos. we went to pc world where the young assistant told us it would be easier to save them on the cloud and explained what this was. so you want us to store these photos some remote server that we have no control over? what happens if they deny us access, want to start charging us access or sell our images to a third party? oh no, I'm sure they wouldn't do that, it's quite safe! was his reply.

You get what you pay for. If you're using a FREE service, then you should assume they can change the rules.

I PAY for webserver space. It hosts my domain, runs my email server and provides enough space to backup all my critical data. I also back it up to a local flash drive.

Backing up to the cloud is as safe as the site you are using. Free site do not guarantee ANYTHING.

Checkout the quote in my signature, it doesn't only apply to VWs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

finster wrote:

You should do both.
A local backup doesn't do you any good in the event of, say, a house fire. I learned this the hard way.
Proper cloud storage like Backblaze B2, Amazon S3, etc isn't very expensive for the average home user. The big services are unlikely to pull any shenanigans, but if they do you still have your local backup and you just migrate to another company.
I did use CrashPlan before they decided to cut their home user plans, but they gave plenty of notice (over a year).

Can backup everything to an external drive and leave it at a family member or friend's house as well, but that's less easy to keep up to date.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

That signature could be taken two ways Glen...

We have a local tire shop that has a sign that says "If we don't have it then you don't need it." Meaning I suppose that they have everything you could ever need.

Well that sign was exactly the attitude I got from them when I asked for a tire for my car that was not a common size. "We don't have it and we don't plan on getting it for you!"

So as a consumer looking at your signature I can rest assured that you will not give me the goods until I pay for them but when I get them, they may not turn out to be as advertised?

I think not as I have more trust in you than that! Wink

English can be a tricky language...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: