Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I might remind y'all that Vintage Speed IS Chinese, made in Taiwan. OK, so not mainland China, but...

Despite what the Chinese government might tell you, Taiwan is not China.

It's like saying a car made in East Germany is the same basic thing as a BMW. Both German.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've always wanted one of those. Would trade my bus for a UAZ. Don't ask me why...
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

FWIW, the Pacesetter (which is the budget exhaust system I recommend, by far) is not Chinese made, it's made in the USA (and potentially Mexico as they have a second factory there). But its origins are Italian; it's a blatant knockoff of the ANSA VW0497 that went out of production about 15 years ago. http://www.busdepot.com/352000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the inside of my EGR filter, after only 4 years.

Doesn't look terrible on the outside, but the inside is finished. All those rusty bits had made there way up the EGR pipe, through the EGR Valve, and into the intake manifold and clogged it up. No wonder the EGR idiot light comes on every 15,000 miles.

The problem is the plain steel construction of this and all the other exhaust components that are available today, aftermarket or OEM.

That Pacesetter muffler is a pretty simple design to manufacture, and it replaces a bunch of components with just 1 piece. I did not find it terribly difficult to make it fit. My only gripe is it's still too loud. If we could get them with some more baffling and stainless steel construction, I don't think most bus people would mind paying 3X the current price. Also, wrap a heat shield around it, since most folks are missing that piece too. (just in case the good folks from Busdepot are still following this thread) Very Happy
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Interesting to see that EGR! I think I'm lucky I don't have to deal with that.

For those of you following along, parts showed up and I began to clean and mock up parts for high temp paint and assembly.

Here's what I'm working with:

Here's the exisiting extractor style exhaust:

After some wire wheel grinding and basic cleanup, I have this bolted up.

Items to address include...

getting a flange/clamp setup on the input side of the muffler. I think I'll run it down to a good exhaust shop and see what it will take to get a set of flanges welded up.

Copper lock nuts will be used. And a tailpipe gasket kit is on order. (THANKS BUS DEPOT!!)

I will prep for paint and go with a high temp (1000 deg F) BBQ paint in silver.

I'll keep posting up progress.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
WhirledTraveller wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I might remind y'all that Vintage Speed IS Chinese, made in Taiwan. OK, so not mainland China, but...

Despite what the Chinese government might tell you, Taiwan is not China.

It's like saying a car made in East Germany is the same basic thing as a BMW. Both German.

I've always wanted one of those. Would trade my bus for a UAZ. Don't ask me why...

I did Soobie the h* out of it. I drove a Trabby in East Berlin in 1989 and again in 2010. It still sucked.
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Should have gone with the CSP tail pipe like I did for two reasons.
1. looks pretty cool
2. The paint will not chip - does not apply if you have mud flaps.

Post some pics when done!
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

They are rare these days. Have to call around. It is the same clamp used on any bus or beetle that has a catalytic with that style clamp. HJS 11 1078 / 023-298-051 catalytic to muffler clamp. (As far as I can tell the A refers to a later style material while the part without an A is earlier construction but both work - someone correct me if I am wrong on that. I have a spare of both and they look about the same other than doughnut material.) A quick Google shows that recycled jack's website says they have some.

Thanks SGK - I have a temp setup now, hopefully I will get that part ordered up soon. Do you know of anyone that has used part 111 298 051? It's for the Beetle/Ghia tailpipe clamp part and it's very similar. I wonder if it would work.

Martaskukla wrote:
Should have gone with the CSP tail pipe like I did for two reasons.
1. looks pretty cool
2. The paint will not chip - does not apply if you have mud flaps.

Post some pics when done!

That one I bought was like $25. I do like yours, and it's on the list but I need to find a US supplier for CSP. Not finding much in the search...any suggestions?

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

No, that one is too small as it's for the chrome tailpipes on a Bug/Ghia. You need to find the larger one that is NLA. I just installed one on Marc&Eliana's bus when they came thru on the way to Alaska
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Finally got around to modifying my Pacesetter exhaust by cutting off the tailpipe and adding a small resonator and additional stinger tailpipe. I can confirm this mod is significantly quieter. Still not quiet as stock, but pretty close. This is well worth the effort if you value quiet exhaust.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

if that piece in the end is a full cone you are losing about 5% - 10% of your HP. I had to weld one in on a sports car once to legally quiet it and the drop is significant. If it is a partial cone then there would only be a small drop.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
if that piece in the end is a full cone you are losing about 5% - 10% of your HP.

Interesting. I'd like to know more about that. I can't tell any difference at all in power with the modified exhaust; it's just much quieter. I'll admit, I was purely experimenting, when I welded this thing together, but I read an interesting article on Flowmaster's website (I think it was theirs) about sizing the tailpipe diameter to create an "ideal" gas velocity. There was a formula relating number of cylinders and cylinder volume, but the net of this article was that bigger is not better, despite all the tuner cars you see with stove pipes hanging out the back. Since the pipe diameter of my newly added resonator is 2 1/4" and the factory tail pipe is around 1 3/4", I figured I would be safe reducing it down to that. To accomplish that, I re-purposed a 2 inch long piece of perforated 1 3/4" diameter pipe to slip into the 2 1/4" pipe and necked that down to fit. The perforated pipe is open on the end, so it's not a "cone" in the traditional sense, but I oriented the perforations so they angle back against the exhaust flow. I also read that this causes pressure waves to reflect back on themselves and cancel the resulting noise. This is the reason why so many factory motorcycle exhausts have a large diameter outer tube with a flat back and a smaller diameter exit hole.

Anyway, my experiment seems to have worked, but if there's also a way to get more power, without adding back the noise, I'd love to try it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

I was only concerned if it was a full cone which would create excessive back pressure which is what happened on the sports car to satisfy CHP. They used to sit by the side of the road on a grade and measure cars. I haven't seen that in years so there would be no need for it.

Quote:
Anyway, my experiment seems to have worked, but if there's also a way to get more power, without adding back the noise, I'd love to try it.

The best easy test is see where the engine tops out in RPM. Where you feel the power drop is near where the engine has its peak power and torque. If that falls to a lower RPM then it is affecting things. My stock 1977 system with a catalytic will pull thru to 5000 RPM in 3rd up a grade no problem. I can even hit the limiter in the ECU at 5400 RPM but haven't tried it in 4th because buses get spooky at high speeds. For street driving a bus the late stock system is quite adequate. The flywheel is also cast iron so that has its limits too.

69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, SGKent. Hadn't seen one of those before, but I can see how restrictive those cones could be.

I don't have a tach on my bus, so I couldn't say for sure if I'm loosing power at the top end, due to my exhaust mod, but my gut feel is that my bus could match the performance you describe with your factory exhaust equipped bus.

The only real world test I can do is drive around a while and see if I can cover the same miles with the same amount of gas I was using before.

I would be curious to know what others have done to approach the same level of quiet (or better) that can be achieved with the factory exhaust, which I consider to be the Gold standard of balance between performance and quiet. There's a lot of science that goes into the proper engineering of an exhaust system
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a lot of science that goes into the proper engineering of an exhaust system

yes - we came across it all the time when racing. Small changes can make differences. The stock VW exhausts aren't designed for power. The early bay exhausts are designed to hold the engine back to make it last longer, and the late bus exhausts appear designed for torque. As long as your design is not creating excessive back pressure it will be fine. You'd feel the back pressure as a fall off in power at the higher RPM's. If you can't feel it then you are fine.
sblu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Hi Folks, does anyone have any idea what supposed to attach here? Was underneath the bus removing the bumper and see that an attachment of some sort is missing!

[/img]
78wkndr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

Heat dumped tubes… An attempt by Volkswagen to better evacuate unused heat exchanger heat Farther down stream of the engine

Reminds me that I need to reinstall mine....

I am quite confident that these are only found used.

Maybe even 78 only?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664428&highlight=heat+dump+tubes

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

I think 78 and 79 had them. Maybe air cooled vanagon too but I am not sure on that. Sitting in heavy traffic all the heat goes under the bus on 77 and earlier. That causes the fuel and trans to get hot. By moving the dump tubes behind the bus all that heat went away from the trans and fuel tank. The heat valves are always on - either dumping or to the cabin.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I think 78 and 79 had them. Maybe air cooled vanagon too but I am not sure on that. Sitting in heavy traffic all the heat goes under the bus on 77 and earlier. That causes the fuel and trans to get hot. By moving the dump tubes behind the bus all that heat went away from the trans and fuel tank. The heat valves are always on - either dumping or to the cabin.

I agree that the heat valves are always on, dumping overboard or sending forward, but if the heat is not selected, then the fresh air fan is off and the only air that is pushed across the heat exchangers is the small “ no return” ducts at the bottom of the fan shroud.

Am I understanding that correctly? I am gonna hook up my heat for this fall and thats the way I understand it. Those small ducts were put there just to continually move air across H.E. ‘s to evacuate heat buildup wether heat was selected or not.

I will be curious to hook up and feel what comes out of the dump head with heat off. Cant imagine its very much based on the size of the small ducts feeding it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

the booster doesn't come on but it is more than a trickle of air that comes out when the booster is off.
sblu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options please...75-78 needed for 1977 late bay setup Reply with quote

folks,
i checked the links in the other referenced thread and couldn't find a place to by these? any recommendations?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: