Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

Hey all, I have done extensive research on a lift kit for a 1995 Eurovan full camper and am piecing one together since the lift kit sold by GoWesty is out of stock. The camper currently has 15 inch wheels and when I took it into a tire mechanic to ask about the lift kit installation, he said it would be fine to leave the 15 inch wheels on and replace the tires with Falken 225-70-15 8-ply tires. He said it would still give me the clearance I needed with the spacers and more stability. I know that GoWesty and all other resources say I really need 16 inch tires. What do you think?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

Ask for the load rating on those tires. Most folks are using a 102, I had a 16 inch new brand name tire that was something like 92 and it failed on a road trip. I run 102 now.

Your camper probably weighs more than my weekender too.
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks! These 15 inch tires have a very high load rating so I think I'm good there. I'm just wondering if they will give me enough stability with the lift kit. If I can save on not buying new 16 inch wheels, that would be nice but I just want to make sure I'm get all the right parts for this lift kit.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

Since you're raising the center of gravity, it would be nice to reduce sidewall flex by installing 16" rims.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

I have 5 16 inch rims with tires sitting in my garage that I would love to get rid of. I have pics in the classified ads here on the samba. If you are in the Denver area feel free to make me an offer... I have them listed at $375, but that is not a firm price at all.
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I can't find the classified ad for the wheels and tires, can you please send me the URL? I also gave you a call with the number you sent me. Thanks!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2176441

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

Do it best while you're lifting it, get 16" wheels. 7j x16 wheels, better range of tire choices. Ground clearance is important IMO, the more the better.

You need strong shocks with this narrow vehicle, 72" wide is narrow. Lift it and you need strong shocks and strong tires. I have P225/70/16's on this one and those tall sidewalls flex quite a bit. Without strong Bilstein 4600 shocks I'd be worried about a Jeep death-wobble kind of thing.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I will be doing 16" tires as it seems like that is the best option. I definitely want to do it the right way. I do have Bilstein 4600 shocks so I'm good there. Thanks again!
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

The big reason many people change to 16s is tire choice. There are simply more options available for 16” wheels.

There are also many more cool looking wheels in 16s.

As for real lift spacers. Wink

https://shop.cavevan.com/products/eurovan-lift-spacers
Chi-town
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit: 15" or 16" Wheels Reply with quote

I run factory Tiguan 16's with BF Goodrich AT KO2 and the fit great and ride perfectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: