Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

Lots of questions below, would love some knowledgeable sambanistas to pitch in

The plan is to use a franken Subaru (ej22 head) and drop it into my Syncro Westy

For CA reasons I will be purchasing a full KEP kit, however I prefer the smallcar engine mount and would like to use that (I like the idea of being able to use my syncro skid rails after the conversion) I have also had mutiple experienced builders tell me that the smallcar kit allows less engine movement/vibration

To make this combo work I presume I will need the stainless muffler brackets:
https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conver...ckets.html

as well as some exhaust clamps
https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conversion-parts/stainless-muffler-clamp-6.html
in order to mate with the KEP exhaust. Is there anything else I may need to mix and match the kits?

Next stop is Coolant lines:
My setup will have the reversed coolant manifold.
There are several coolant hose kits on the market
Smallcar has a complete kit with molded lines:
https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conver...e-kit.html

RJES has something similar
http://rjes.com/html/coolant_plumbing_kits.html

and Rocky mountain westy just sells you a bunch of bulk hose in the right size
https://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Conversion_Hose_Kit_p/hk4g.htm

Is there any advantage to paying up for one of the nicer pre-molded kits? any real world experience with these products?

Moving on to throttle cable:
From what I understand the stock Vanagon cable isn't long enough to reach the reversed Subaru throttle linkage. Most people purchase a longer cable via smallcar, RMW or RJES.
I noticed that Burley sells a kit that reverses the positioning of the subaru linkage and allows one to reuse the stock VW throttle cable
https://burleymotorsports.net/product/subaru-2-2-throttle-conversion-kit/

Does any have real world experience with his kit? would love to hear the pros and cons because this seems like an elegant solution eliminating a large looped throttle wire in the engine bay
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

I could be wrong but if you are using the Kennedy exhaust, you'll need to use their engine mount. The mounting and exhaust of any given kit is typically designed to work together.

Isn't the CA legal cat KEP sells welded to the muffler? No telling if that muffler would fit the clamps and brackets Small Car sells if you can use the Small Car mount with the KEP exhaust.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

Burley throttle kit for the win.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
I could be wrong but if you are using the Kennedy exhaust, you'll need to use their engine mount. The mounting and exhaust of any given kit is typically designed to work together.

Isn't the CA legal cat KEP sells welded to the muffler? No telling if that muffler would fit the clamps and brackets Small Car sells if you can use the Small Car mount with the KEP exhaust.

Fair point, I do not believe the new KEP kit is welded but perhaps I am being presumptuous that this will just bolt up. Hopefully someone has experience with this combination and can chime in
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

I have the Smallcar engine mount. My first exhaust header was KEP. It worked fine with the J-pipe, VW cat and various mufflers.
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

check out busaru.com under their air-cooled section, shows how to reverse the Subaru throttle wheel. Cheap, easy, and it worked much better then my first attempt with a looped throttle cable.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

Great to know that people like Burley's kit, may attempt the Busaru method as well.

Can anyone confirm whether I can use the smallcar mount with KEP headers/exhaust without interference?
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:

No, the cat and the muffler are ala-carte components.

That said, when I did mine I used Burley for the throttle and air box holder, Small Car for the cooling system, and KEP for everything else...

Oh! Forgot, when I took it to the BAR to get my white sticker, the first thing they looked at was the engine type number right on the block and checked it off on his list.. This guy knew about these conversions.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:

Oh! Forgot, when I took it to the BAR to get my white sticker, the first thing they looked at was the engine type number right on the block and checked it off on his list.. This guy knew about these conversions.

Ya, about that Block engine type/number ... EJ22 is pretty clear, and that is what the exemption is for. An EJ25 could be a problem, even with the 22 heads. I have heard someone say "I told them I sleeved the pistons, its a 'two-two' now" and somehow got through. I'd have my doubts tho.

My Frankenmotor will have EJ25D stamped on it. Looking for the '99 legacy shortblock now Smile But, I'm not in CA
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Burley throttle kit for the win.

If I want to add cruise control down the line, would the throttle kit interfere?

thanks!
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion parts list - coolant hose, throttle cable etc Reply with quote

If you do the basaru.com method, you can still use the other wheel the reglar way for the cruise control. The cruse control wheel would go where the blue spacer goes in the photo. The modification took 10 minutes. I used a new cable, make sure it's the longest one you can find, some might call it a "dune buggy cable", and a brass ferrel from a local auto parts store. Cheap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: