Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

181 gearbox into splitbus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsong82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
Why not use an bolt in irs setup and leave it stock height?

Never looked into IRS before. Not sure if I like that idea in my original PGSG.
wilsong82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

I have used this set up (but with a 1600sp) in a bus, and it works very well. It drives 60-65 mph comfortably. My 61 has this in it, and I find it good to drive, and happy at 55-65mph. It also has enough power to carry 1 ton. And brakes.
Some places the traffic is faster than that, and people drive aggressively, and find it tricky to figure out how to steer around a 60mph vehicle, but whatever.

Any idea what RPM you run at 55-65MPH with your ‘61?
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

wilsong82 wrote:
sub-hatchtim wrote:
Why not use an bolt in irs setup and leave it stock height?

Never looked into IRS before. Not sure if I like that idea in my original PGSG.

It's all bolt in so it could be removed at a later date without any modifications

http://wagenswest.com/product/1955-67-vw-bus-irs-kit/

I'll be doing this in my next bus
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

wilsong82 wrote:
Clara wrote:

I have used this set up (but with a 1600sp) in a bus, and it works very well. It drives 60-65 mph comfortably. My 61 has this in it, and I find it good to drive, and happy at 55-65mph. It also has enough power to carry 1 ton. And brakes.
Some places the traffic is faster than that, and people drive aggressively, and find it tricky to figure out how to steer around a 60mph vehicle, but whatever.

Any idea what RPM you run at 55-65MPH with your ‘61?

I tached it about 20 years ago. but don't remember offhand. My notes are in the bus in the driveway LOL.
However, it is stock one ton gearing/ suspension for an early 64 bus.
I can actually drive it 70, but it seems to be at too high rpms IMO. It runs out of power much above that, though it has done 75 on the flat. You can't really drive 75 much around here, as traffic is generally 60-70 mph. Well, I don't think it could go 75 anymore, the engine has more miles on it and is starting to feel tired.

You can do the math. it has 205/75 R 15 tires.

If you change the power to gearing ratio to much higher gearing than power, it feels like your engine is worn out.. And you cannot actually use the higher gearing to advantage.

If your power is higher in the ratio, you get up to speed faster. And you have more power to pull hills, carry stuff, and it generally feels perkier.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

wilsong82 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Super sweet bus.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wilsong82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

Hi VW people,

Question about axle length.

Is there a differents between splitcase t1 ‘55 with RGB’s and 181 AK gearbox with RGB’s?

On the 181 AK gearbox are some kind of adapters, if I remove them, will they fit in my 1955 bus small nut?

I will use the lolliepop wagenwest adapter in de front.

Thanks W
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

3.88 R&P will be waay to much for a 1500 even with RGB's.

I have a late bus with 3.75 R&P big nut RGB's and a 1904cc with 27" tyres and even I am doubting if my engine would pull a 3.88
Goes like a rocket now though - hahaha!

I was strongly considering changing to a 3.88 R&P FreewayFlier to lower cruising RPM's on a Motorway, until I drove my bus fully laden with 7 adults in it recently - wow! that really showed me the power of gearing on a fully laden bus even up modest hills - my current stock set up was just about OK, with a 3.88 it would have sucked!
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

wilsong82 wrote:
Hi VW people

On the 181 AK gearbox are some kind of adapters, if I remove them, will they fit in my 1955 bus small nut?

Thanks W

Hi
Yes, remove them.
AK gearbox is fitted with a 44hp 1600cc DP engine and 185r14 tires in the 181.
Cool
wilsong82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the reply’s. Very helpful.

Last question,

What would be the best stock-setup, drivable these days. More confi on the highway.

-stock setup ‘63
RGB 1:1.26
4th gear 0.82
R&P 4.125
Engine 1500cc
Wheels 6.40-15

Or
- late stock setup ‘64
RGB 1:1.26
4th gear 0.82
R&P 4.375
Engine 1500cc
Wheels 6.40-15

Thnks
wilsong82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

I’ll start this conversion project soon, so l’ll document it and share the progress here on theSamba.

Project:
T1 bus 07/‘55 euro PGSG

AK 181 kubel Gearbox tunnel case with smallnut 1:1.26 RGB’s conversion with a 1500cc engine.

Nose cone adapter wagenwest lolliepop.

Cheers
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 gearbox into splitbus Reply with quote

wilsong82 wrote:
I’ll start this conversion project soon, so l’ll document it and share the progress here on theSamba.

Project:
T1 bus 07/‘55 euro PGSG

AK 181 kubel Gearbox tunnel case with smallnut 1:1.26 RGB’s conversion with a 1500cc engine.

Nose cone adapter wagenwest lolliepop.

Cheers

I would advise against going with a 3.88 r/p and big nuts with a 1500. WAAAYYYY too tall of gearing for the engine.

I had that gearing in a '65 westy and regretted it. Swapped motors with the 61 with 4.375 r/p and 1.26 boxes, and either motor in the 61 felt perky, while either motor in the 65 felt tired.

If you put the 1.26 boxes on your split case tranny it will drive pretty much like a 1 ton 63/ early 64 bus. (except for the full stopping before shifting into first /reverse.) You also don't have to mess with nose cone conversion bothersomeness. You do have to deal with e-brake conversion, though.
r/p on split case trans is very close to 4.375 as to not make a driving difference.

We have 63 one ton 1.26 boxes on a split case center in the 56 westy, with 1600sp. Now the engine has a lot of miles on it ( ~ 53K? 63K?) it feels a bit tired.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: