Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Middle bench installation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

this is regarding a 71 transporter.

i have all the parts but not sure how this should go together. i have a brand new rubber floor mat from wolfsburg west, the bench, the metal plates, t-bolts, clamps and wing nuts.

how am i supposed to cut the mat for seat installation? i cut slits for the bolts to stick up through but they aren't really long enough to get everything bolted together. i'm not sure if it's a misunderstanding on my part or a difference in the floor mat underside.

i have metal floor + mat + seat plate + bench leg + clamp + wing nut. this works on the far left leg but not on the far right leg. on the underside of the mat, it looks like a checker board but there are two solid rubber sections under the center and right legs of the bench. so they don't compress like the part of the mat under the left-side bench leg.

do these descriptions make sense? can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong or how i need to cut this? should the mat be between the bench leg or is is supposed to be metal-to-metal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

1971 uses the plates. Later years do not. I forget which year that changed. There are two height clamps and two height bolts. Make sure you have the correct combination.

ALSO - on a 1971 the cutout for the seat plates is rectangular so they sit down in the rubber onto the metal. On late bays there is no plate under the seat, the seat sits right on the floor. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. I took this photo from classifieds. It is a 1968-71 mat. Notice the cutouts for the plates. The second photo is a late bay mat (from gallery).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

Okay so the mat cutouts are the size of the metal plates, allowing the metal plates to touch the metal floor but the bench legs still sit on top of the rubber mat, correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

The seat legs sit on the plates (or directly on the floor on later models), metal on metal, the mat should still be able to move slightly once it's all tightened up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

This may be obvious, but...

The above photos show the cut-outs and mountings for a full-width middle seat, with 8 mounting points. The 2/3 middle seat, which is more common, uses 6 of the mount points. If you have the 2/3 seat, don't cut out the holes nearest the door.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

Cut the holes but the metal plates should be slightly larger than the hole so it sits on top of the mat. I thought these mats had molded in areas to cut out?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

Those areas are molded into the underside of the mat and I'll double check this, but I don't think they matched up properly.

And thanks for the reminder. I do have the 2/3rds bench so I won't be cutting out the floor mat next to the sliding door.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

Real VW plates have a flange that's larger than the hole in the mat, it sits a mm or two above the surface of the mat so the mat can't lift but isn't pinched hard either, mats have tiny dotted lines where the cutouts should go on the back.

Now all that applies to genuine parts, get some aftermarket into the mix and YMMV.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Middle bench installation Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
[clipped] The second photo is a late bay mat (from gallery).

Just wanted to mention, the second photo SGKent posted was a mat I did for my 74. Its an aftermarket WW mat that comes w/o any cutouts. I obviously modified it myself, so its not 100% factory (I don't have the cutout done for the middle seat heater output, and the seat belt holes were not cut yet in that pic). However, the cutouts shown for the seat legs themselves were done in such a manner to replicate the OG factory mat, so its sill a decent example to follow. Just wanted to clarify.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: