Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Looking at different radiator configurations and routing schematics I have yet to see the following setup? Why?

Cross-flow radiator rotated 90 degrees between the rails, while minimizing possible hot and cold spots from front to back. This would move the coolant in a z-path (crossflow) equally distributing the coolant from front to back. Cross flow was specifically designed to utilize the water pump pressure only unlike the down flow which relies on both gravity and WP pressure.

Then utilize the added benefit of the configuration of the outlet and inlet being located on a single side (since its rotated 90 degrees this points the ports to the rear of the bus). The picture posted above, that was linked, is similar though not in a cross-flow configuration. This seems to be a better fit as routing of the outlet would not have to routed between the rails or additional cutting for access. Has this been done?
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Sorry... did someone say cable shift? How bout an extra gear while we're at it:

Link

Yes, yes... it's a Vanagon and a Syncro at that... but it's pretty damn cool!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
Sorry... did someone say cable shift? How bout an extra gear while we're at it:

Right now I'm happy with the five gears (plus reverse, real five speed) I've got. Twisted Evil
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Convoy......do you mean like this guy?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Going flat between the rails isn't my favorite to be honest, but it works well. On a totally slammed bus you *could* cut the shift rod tube and leave the ends...problem is you would need custom bushings made to support the rod.

This would give you another 3/4 to 1" of space I think. Even the slim fans (that actually work...spal, etc) are quite thick. Almost wonder what a good work around would be to get the shift rod out of there all together...cable shift? Then you would have tons of room. Problem is we are trying to shove 10 pounds od shit in a 5 pound bag

Other than the complication of hose routing, is there any reason a split rad system, with one smaller rad on each OUTSIDE of the main frame rails, would not work? No shift rods to hit, or main heater tube to remove.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Much more turbulent air behind the wheels perhaps? Likely lower flow than down the middle too. Just guessing...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Other than the complication of hose routing, is there any reason a split rad system, with one smaller rad on each OUTSIDE of the main frame rails, would not work? No shift rods to hit, or main heater tube to remove.

other than the radiators being mud flaps from tire cast off, and being dam near impossible to put on a lift I suppose it would work, until it didn't Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

one of the big reasons I don't disclose my setup is twofold. 1 is all the bullshit I got in my build thread, and one member here sent me a scathing p/m about how he was Gods gift to the automotive world and didn't think I had a clue.

I find this reason difficult to accept. As a general profile of the posts I've seen by you, your skin seems thick enough to let such dirty water roll off your back. However, I recommend doing a build in a blog since it's better than in a forum thread as you can turn off comments or else delete the ones you don't like Twisted Evil

second reason is I reached out to jake raby for help. at the time, I would have given him 10K and a blowjob for a solution. he declined, and gave me the 1 magic ingredient that makes what I do work. I chose the radiator (which he reached out to me to source for a cooling problem he was having) ...

so, out of respect for him, and I would assume him for me....we keep our mouths shut. and all of my swap clients have agreed to do the same. I am a man of my word and will take what jake told me to the grave

This sounds more reasonable, as someone keeping trade secrets for the sake of their business. I get it.

It's great that you found a bullet-proof solution -- it certainly helps your business -- but it would actually be helpful if you were able to share with us just as everyone else is openly sharing their experiences with their work, good and bad, just like an open community like TheSamba normally does.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

other than the radiators being mud flaps from tire cast off, and being dam near impossible to put on a lift I suppose it would work, until it didn't Laughing

The mud flap and air flow issues are real (not insurmountable), but the lift points I use are well ahead of and behind the center, where I would picture the rads to be located.

Just a thought. Next time my single cab is on the lift I will sit and ponder. Then I will finish the shift rod bushing replacement.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

And another thought....

Why make the system overly complicated? I mean all the extra plumbing to make 2 radiators work. My deal uses 2 easily sourced hoses to make the connection to the radiator. I suppose it could work, but I like a clean install myself...remember KISS...keep it simple skills

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

southcoastcruiser did it...... http://vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3939
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

panel wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

southcoastcruiser did it...... http://vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3939

Pics don't show for me, but I am glad to hear that someone did the dual side rads with some success.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Thought I'd keep posting in this thread as it seamed the most informative. I've got my new rad installed ( 19 x 27 double pass) and I have 2 x 10" fans on the top and pulling (for now) until someone tells me differently. What I'm looking for is a way to better my set up as in try to box it in for air flow etc.

I can't add a scoop as it's pretty low and I'd just be scooping up everything.

These are pics of the front of the rad looking rear.

Pics for reference:

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

This build is top quality work....

http://vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2399&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'd just like to know if he's using his fans as a pusher style due to the way the ducting is from the front and into the top of the rad.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

right....

and I stand by the moderately handy DIY'er can do the swap for 4-6K if they are thrifty.

several ways to go about this for sure, and many have had luck running X,Y and Z radiators.

I think that one in the photo a few pots above is from lopez over on STF. it works well, but I don't like the way he has the radiator act like a scoop. IIRC, it gets mounted on an angle, which is effective BUT makes it way more vulnerable to a direct hit.

one of the big reasons I don't disclose my setup is twofold. 1 is all the bullshit I got in my build thread, and one member here sent me a scathing p/m about how he was Gods gift to the automotive world and didn't think I had a clue.

second reason is I reached out to jake raby for help. at the time, I would have given him 10K and a blowjob for a solution. he declined, and gave me the 1 magic ingredient that makes what I do work. I chose the radiator (which he reached out to me to source for a cooling problem he was having) so we kind of in a fucked up way worked together.

so, out of respect for him, and I would assume him for me....we keep our mouths shut. and all of my swap clients have agreed to do the same. I am a man of my word and will take what jake told me to the grave

Thanks for saving me the 10k skills.

I don’t get the secrecy though...don’t my YouTube videos of my belly in #vanlife equate to contributing to the community as much as trade secrets that younstumbled upon in a Cracker Jack box?
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

^^ links to You Tube vids ?
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Lots of really good info in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Lots of really good info in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

As the owner of that thread, I will advise you read all of it! Because there is a good deal of what not to do before I finally got the system working!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

Was mulling this over for no particular reason....I would put a single radiator between the frame rails and make a scoop for it, wide instead of deep to avoid ground clearance issues, wider at the front of the scoop and more narrow at the rear, radiator toward the rear with an air space above and below it inside the scoop.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need Your Help- Underbelly Radiator Design Reply with quote

My friend now owns my bus which is a 78 Bay westy with a VW ABA. It has a radiator from an 80's Chevy truck between the frame rails with 2 Nissan electric fans under it pulling down. No scoop, no ducting, nothing fancy.

The bus runs at 175 degrees cruising down the road. It would get up to 200 or so sitting at idle for a long time, but raising the throttle a couple hundred RPM's fixed it. So he turned a smaller water pump pulley on a lathe and now it doesn't get hot at idle.

We're in Central Florida, so it's hot, but getting hotter. I'll report any significant changes in running temps.

The point is, and I was guilty of this. Don't spend days worrying about every last detail and design element. Just get it together with the basics and see what you need to add. We didn't need to do any ducting or angling of the radiator, and you probably won't either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: