Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Fam Help My 67!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
13nunez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

My poor Maybelline needs some love. Im here to give it to her. ~ $2000-2700 budget need engine, tires, interior, weatherstrip and a few other things i cant really think of. Primary on the list is engine/trans/suspension setup. I want my car running ASAP but also at its optimal performance without a concern of safety. current engine is a 1600 DP that im sure blew the crank. am looking for a bit more power than it has now but nothing crazy where i will break something.

ANyway. what im looking for is someone from TheSamba whos interested on working on it before i head to a local shop. I am mechanically inclined so i can sure help but i dont have the confidence to tear down and put back together properly haha Twisted Evil Im in the Los ANgeles/torrance area.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

If you broke the crank, you most likely have more issues. No rebuilder should be able to give you an accurate rebuild price without opening up the engine to assess the damage. Rebuilding the engine, getting tires, new rubber, suspension and interior for $2700 will be exceedingly difficult unless you’re doing all the work.

What EXACTLY are you wanting to do to the suspension? Replacing shocks/balljoints/tierod ends isn’t too expensive, but if you’re looking to lower it or something you’re going to need to raise your budget or skip this part.

Like I said, engine rebuild is going to depend on what’s salvageable. You may be better off buying a used stock motor. Or checking locally for a rebuild special. Rebuilt heads alone are going to be $300-400 for stock. Maybe look for a decent long block that you can transfer stuff to.

What’s wrong with the transmission?

Check JBugs or another online outlet for cheap, black vinyl interiors. Headliner is probably out unless you can do the work. I’ve been quoted $350 for just the install labor.

Stock tires are probably $50/pc plus balancing etc. Any decent tire place can usually do it.

Cheap cal look rubber kits are $500. Easy to do at home, it you’ll need a helper that won’t be offended by profanity.

Understand that most local shops are going to charge between $70-150/ hour. It adds up fast.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
13nunez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
If you broke the crank, you most likely have more issues. No rebuilder should be able to give you an accurate rebuild price without opening up the engine to assess the damage. Rebuilding the engine, getting tires, new rubber, suspension and interior for $2700 will be exceedingly difficult unless you’re doing all the work.

What EXACTLY are you wanting to do to the suspension? Replacing shocks/balljoints/tierod ends isn’t too expensive, but if you’re looking to lower it or something you’re going to need to raise your budget or skip this part.

Like I said, engine rebuild is going to depend on what’s salvageable. You may be better off buying a used stock motor. Or checking locally for a rebuild special. Rebuilt heads alone are going to be $300-400 for stock. Maybe look for a decent long block that you can transfer stuff to.

What’s wrong with the transmission?

Check JBugs or another online outlet for cheap, black vinyl interiors. Headliner is probably out unless you can do the work. I’ve been quoted $350 for just the install labor.

Stock tires are probably $50/pc plus balancing etc. Any decent tire place can usually do it.

Cheap cal look rubber kits are $500. Easy to do at home, it you’ll need a helper that won’t be offended by profanity.

Understand that most local shops are going to charge between $70-150/ hour. It adds up fast.

The suspension is dialed up front, the rear is what worries me. From shocks to the axles. id just like someone to inspect since i see play from the wheel with the drum complete. I am trying to lower the rear as the front is low enough.

I had a local shop give me a estimate of $1900 for a 1776 if i dropped her off.

Not sure if there are any issues with the trans other than some grinding when going into reverse. Also something id need someone to inspect although i dont think there is a way unless you tear down which im sure will run up the budget. would think someone who knows what to look for can guide me to whats needed for proper safe operation.

as interior and rubbers will def be the last thing done. but it will all get done accordingly. my budget is realistic to what is available now. but of course i wouldnt mind dishing it out to be comfortable in my daily.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/how-to-keep-your-...gIaXfD_BwE
13nunez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/how-to-keep-your-...gIaXfD_BwE

Laughing Applause Dancing
on it
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

Performance costs $$$$.
You can get some extra bang with 1679cc engine. For reasonable $$$$.
Or you can go the route that I am currently doing. 2180 with all new parts.
Currently exceeding $5K. Shocked This was built with reasonably priced parts that many times I found on sale.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable? Pick two.
A daily driver would need to be reliable. So one of the other two is already out the window.

Regarding the trans crunch when selecting reverse.
You might want to lift the rear seat bottom and remove the tunnel inspection plate. Take a look at the shift coupler. It should have a positive engagement with the shift rod. If that looks good. Then pull the shift lever and check the condition of the shift rod bushing that is inside the tunnel. It should be intact and well lubricated.
It may be a simple adjustment. Often times the shift lever plate is incorrectly set and can cause issues. When I need to adjust mine. I make sure that the shift lever bolts are tight just enough that it will hold the plate in place. But still be able to tap the shift lever base with a hammer to get it adjusted just right. Then I tighten the bolts one final time and move onto the next nagging task.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
13nunez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Performance costs $$$$.
You can get some extra bang with 1679cc engine. For reasonable $$$$.
Or you can go the route that I am currently doing. 2180 with all new parts.
Currently exceeding $5K. Shocked This was built with reasonably priced parts that many times I found on sale.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable? Pick two.
A daily driver would need to be reliable. So one of the other two is already out the window.

Regarding the trans crunch when selecting reverse.
You might want to lift the rear seat bottom and remove the tunnel inspection plate. Take a look at the shift coupler. It should have a positive engagement with the shift rod. If that looks good. Then pull the shift lever and check the condition of the shift rod bushing that is inside the tunnel. It should be intact and well lubricated.
It may be a simple adjustment. Often times the shift lever plate is incorrectly set and can cause issues. When I need to adjust mine. I make sure that the shift lever bolts are tight just enough that it will hold the plate in place. But still be able to tap the shift lever base with a hammer to get it adjusted just right. Then I tighten the bolts one final time and move onto the next nagging task.

Good Luck.

Not really looking for crazy performance. An accidental burnout wont be a bad thing but am just looking for something able to go 80-100 mph without worrying much. Mind you, i thought the 1600 thats in there now was capable of such but guess i was wrong.

Def dont have 5k to drop on all new parts for a engine. id rather use that and put it towards a new dirtbike with a pick up truck and go back to stock on the old bug.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

Um. Yeah. 80-100mph without worry in a bug isn’t going to be cheap.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

I think your mistaken I have a 1600 with single port heads that will do it all day common over for a ride its a 1600 with a counter weighted crank totality internally balanced engle 100 cam total seal rings a stock carb and a 009 dis. I drove it last summer 45 min. from binghamton to seyacuse ny with the spedo pegged and back home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

I think your mistaken I have a 1600 with single port heads that will do it all day common over for a ride its a 1600 with a counter weighted crank totality internally balanced engle 100 cam total seal rings a stock carb and a 009 dis. I drove it last summer 45 min. from binghamton to seyacuse ny with the spedo pegged and back home

How much did the motor cost to build?
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

I don't remember that was years ago but I did all the work myself I think less that 1000.00
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

I don't remember that was years ago but I did all the work myself I think less that 1000.00

Cool. Guess I stand corrected. So what would it cost the OP to have someone build him a motor capable of going 80–100MPH? Stock tranny?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

My guesses: Stock about $2500 in the Los Angeles area, good to about 80 mph at best. New case add $1000. 100mph adds another $1000-1500 including cooling mods.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Cool. Guess I stand corrected. So what would it cost the OP to have someone build him a motor capable of going 80–100MPH? Stock tranny?

i dont know that i have all the tools to do my own motors i even have a line bore and new way valve cutters so i havent had to have someone do my work for me in a long time i think anyone that is determined has tools and can read and understand some math can build a vw motor
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

i dont know that i have all the tools to do my own motors i even have a line bore and new way valve cutters so i havent had to have someone do my work for me in a long time i think anyone that is determined has tools and can read and understand some math can build a vw motor

Did you read the initial post then? It’s cool explaining how you’ve built your own motor, but the OP was pretty clear that he needs someone to do the work. So with that said, I’ll stand by my original comment that getting an engine built that is capable of running 80-100MPH isn’t going to be cheap.
13nunez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Did you read the initial post then? It’s cool explaining how you’ve built your own motor, but the OP was pretty clear that he needs someone to do the work. So with that said, I’ll stand by my original comment that getting an engine built that is capable of running 80-100MPH isn’t going to be cheap.

I will let you guys know how my build goes according to budget. will be dropping her off locally this weekend. Will use what can be salvaged and hope to find parts for a reasonable price. I dont think it will be over 2k to piece up a engine capable of what i am asking. we will see.
13nunez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

I hope i can get to pomona this sunday and see what gems i find. If anyone else is going, will be cool to meet up
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

So , did you get the engine repaired .
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

a 100 mph motor assuming stock gearing will be pricey, one that will last a long time will,be super pricey.

You mentioned seals need replacing, do NOT ignore a dripping window seal, even a tiny leak during the rainy season if ignored will result in very expensive body and or floor rust. a tiny drip on my windshield was ignored, drip ran down the defroster vent, and rusted out the lower A piller. other times water collects under the floor mats or tar mats, and rots out the pan. rear window drips will rot out the rear package area badly. water under the floor mats will rust thru the front to rear brake pipe that is along the tunnel, which can cause total loss of the brakes, quit suddenly!

also if you plan on 100 mph, you best get excellent tires, upgraded brakes, maybe 4 wheel disc, get the handling down with new suspension, maybe lower the Bug too, the Bug is airplane wing shaped and at high speed it can lift, which is not what you want to happen if you want to do things like stop or turn! shoulder belts, impact bars in doors, collapsible steering columns and such can keep you alive in event of a high speed crash. I assume you intend to go 100 mph at a race track, most tracks have safety inspections, read up on what is required.

If you intend to go 100 mph on a public road, you are a danger to the public and selfish, disregarding others life. keep those speeds on the track. Even a modern super car designed for 100 mph is not safe on public streets unless you are on a highly controlled highway that is designed for such speeds, such as the autoban, where those speeds are expected by other drivers, pedestrians and such. there is no public road in California that meets this requirement.

Dont get killed, dont become a brain dead vegetable, but most of all do not cause that to happen to anyone else. If you only care about yourself, consider you maybe hunted down and put down by the friends or family of the innocent person you harm. Vehicular manslaughter conviction(s) will get you a stay in prison.

Bug On Safely!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
13nunez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fam Help My 67! Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
So , did you get the engine repaired .

Car is still sitting in the exact same spot as when I began this post. Its sad. Still looking for an honest someone who isnt out to get money alone. Im not cheap but not stupid either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: