Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How I mounted my fog lights
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abouna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: How I mounted my fog lights Reply with quote

So we picked up a pair of fog lights from Ebay and got them mounted up this week. They aren't anything special, probably from the 70's or 80's, made in Japan. But they were the size we wanted, had good chrome, and the nice yellow color we wanted. Here's how we did it.

First, after asking about wiring these through the rear defrost switch, we opted to bypass the relay under the back seat and pick up a new relay. Didn't make much sense to send a bunch of wires back there anyway, since there was only one lighter gauge wire from the defrost switch to the relay.

We found a relay that had nearly the same specs as the Bosch relay mentioned in this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7692568

It's a Novita relay RL44 we bought from Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/re...03873_0_0/

We used this socket to simplify the wiring, also from Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/1/products/48143-performance-wiring-harness-novita-rs40.html

To figure out the wiring, we followed the diagram and picture from the aforementioned post (above)

We did use the defrost switch under the dash, keeping the existing wire connected to the speedometer, so when the fogs are on, the indicator light for the rear defrost lights up.

We did use the old fuse housing from the rear defrost, since it was in fine shape.

But before we wired them up we built some brackets to hold the lights exactly light we wanted them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are 1/8" hot rolled steel brackets 1-1/4" wide. We fabricated them ourselves and gave them a couple coats of gloss black. We drilled the bumper brackets and attached them with 1/4" button head cap screws, lock washers and nuts, which we painted with black rustoleum after installation.

To route the single wire (the lights are grounded through the brackets) we ran it through the bracket seal and into the wheel well.

We then fed it through the headlight's rubber boot. Yeah, it was cracked, so we just fished it through the crack. We were able to do this on both sides.

We then zip tied the wire to the boot to keep things tidy. You can also see our emergency trunk release cable just above the bumper bracket (got the idea from this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635223&highlight=)

Needless to say, we we're pretty thrilled when we flipped the switch and the lights glowed.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. Can you post a pic of the defroster sw, my 69 has a rear window and wiring to it for the defrost, but I have no clue where the switch would be or what the switch looks like. Way back in the 80's or so, my father mounted PIAA fogs essentially like you did(still have them), but he put the switch for them in the ash tray, along with the switch for driving lights (they each have their own relays (don't have them). And the fogs are wired to go off with high beams and can only be turned on when running lights are on. And I just run the wire to them out under the trunk lid at bottom right behind them. I took them off when dealing with the rusty hood.

BTW, you have a very nice looking car. I'm hoping to get mine to that level someday, I've only just gotten it back on the road this year, after it having sat for 20yrs down in AZ.

Fog isn't really an issue where I live in Idaho, so I only mounted them to get them out of the box they were sitting in. Wink
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clean work on the bracket! Simple and easy to install to the bumper brackets.

This is an excellent shot! You took a few moments to make sure you were exactly centered in front of the car, and a mild zoom. "Hover Bug" look with the tires not visible.
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those fogs! They really fit the VW look
Abouna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Looks nice. Can you post a pic of the defroster sw, my 69 has a rear window and wiring to it for the defrost, but I have no clue where the switch would be or what the switch looks like.

see
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348944[/url]
Abouna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Very clean work on the bracket! Simple and easy to install to the bumper brackets.

This is an excellent shot! You took a few moments to make sure you were exactly centered in front of the car, and a mild zoom. "Hover Bug" look with the tires not visible.

Thanks Rome. They were a lot of fun to install.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed mine I ran the wire into the head light bucket in the drain of it. Then ran it in the rubber wiring tube to the trunk.
Your look nice as well. I found a set of old school fog lights and like em.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, looks like mine was re-purposed as a fuel pump cut-off. As when that was done, the car lived in Tucson area and had no need for a defroster, now I won't be driving it in the winter here. Now I have a relay on it for power to ign and fuel pump.

Looking at my brackets, they are out of aluminum and are place as you did yours.
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How I mounted my fog lights Reply with quote

Clean install! Better than drilling a hole in the bumper...Like I was going to do...

SOLD:
1968 VW Beetle, Daily Driver, #68flybug

Photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=jfly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: How I mounted my fog lights Reply with quote

Any suggestions on wire routing for a rear fog light?

Ta
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: