Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My baja build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: My baja build Reply with quote

I have a Super Street transmission and a 1914 with a T3/T4 hybrid turbo sitting around. So I decided to build a Baja, that will never see dirt, but one that looked really cool. It will take me 3 years. Only plan to work on it during the cold months as there are other priorities during the summers in upstate New York. Started in Oct 2017. Built my own chassis and since I am not worried about weight, I used rectangular stock. I also way over designed the tunnel but I really like the look so I went with it. The body is removable so all the panels screw together and to the roll cage or chassis.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Suh-weet fab skills! The tunnel is amazing.
kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

My god those fab skills!! Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Well... It LOOKS like a VW. Past that, it's all fabbed bad-assery.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Looks strong enough to roll down a hill and walk away. ...I'm guessing that you plan on getting some serious air with the cage and suspension setup? ...are you planning on a LS power plant? ...what kind of trans?

GREAT WORK SO FAR!
20valve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

That’s awesome!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Looks strong enough to roll down a hill and walk away. ...I'm guessing that you plan on getting some serious air with the cage and suspension setup? ...are you planning on a LS power plant? ...what kind of trans?

GREAT WORK SO FAR!

He said in the initial post
Quote:
that will never see dirt

So it really doesn't matter that the lower beam supports are so far inboard leaving the beam weak. or that the chassis structure is so heavy. It will only offroad at car shows. At least, until he sells it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:

GREAT WORK SO FAR!

Lol not with those dead tubes running from the a pillar hoop to the main hoop. Not sure why he didn't move them outboard to meet with the other tubes going down under the back window. I'm sure it would be fine in a roll over but those roof tubes are just going to push the hoops apart :/.
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

This is my build and I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. The reason I decided to post was to maybe generate ideas/solutions for others. I live in an area where I do not have local clubs, or resources to ask for help and guidance. I have relied on this site and Ken at Pacific Customs for ideas and direction. Many on this site are immersed in this sport and have access to resources not available to me in Upstate NY and others on this site. For those in a similar situation, maybe my pics, and any comments others want to contribute will help with their build.
I am well aware my car is overweight. I have the ability to model and simulate loads to maximize strength to weight if that was a concern. My intentions/goals are such that I am not worried about weight or resale. When refer to this form for guidance, I focus on the solutions others have utilized to achieve my desired effect. Ken is also aware of my what I am trying to achieve and has been great to recommend product that is not beyond what I really need.
Maybe my pics and other’s comments will provide ideas to others who do not have local support. I appreciate all comments/suggestion/questions but, I may be slow to respond since it is now summer in Upstate NY, even if it is 60 degrees and cloudy today.

As for the tubes between the main hoop and pillar hoop, you are exactly right. That is called a brain fart on a very cold day in the garage. I plan to cut out and install correctly when I take the body off towards the end of the build. Just easier at that time.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Hell, I think street cages should be tougher, like f@$ktard proof. I saw the recent video of the dick move the faster buggy pulled on the baja while passing. It is amazing how far a ram truck can drop kick a little buggy. Mine is a fat pig, over 50% 120 dom. You just need more power Twisted Evil . Built mine for the street, but there is a nice field down the street that I haven't been able to resist.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Chris, in spite of, or maybe because of, my decades of racing experience, along with similar decades of offroad play experience, combined with literally millions of road miles...including my time while going to college that I made a living driving a Tow Truck, or the time I spent at sports car races as a crash investigator and helped the tow truck crews, or my time as a Technical Consultant to Liability Attorneys representing a major auto manufacturer in crash investigations.

I consider the street to be a far more dangerous place for an offroad car than anyplace offroad.

As time goes on, I see more and more drivers on the roads acting stupid. What I call "3rd gear stops" at stop signs and red lights. Right turns from left turn lanes, and vice versa. Cops who apparently have no turn indicator lever in their cars. Right turns directly into the far left lane in front of oncoming traffic. Passing lane racers (speed up as you're trying to pass their slow ass). And on...And on.

I don't see it getting better in the foreseeable future.

So I think of well-designed and built roll cages for my daily drivers as well as my Baja Bug, pre-run truck and rail buggy. I see a roll cage more as protection from other people who are idiots than from my own stupidity or adventurousness.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Dang. Its Beaoooootiful. I love all the arches. They call to the shape of the beetle. Enjoy your craft!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

It looks kinda complex, but I like it.
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Thought some might be interested in some of the specs for this build
- The length between the front axle beam and the rear torsion housing is 4" longer than stock
- The front trailing arms are 1 3/8" wider x 2 1/4" longer
- The rear trailing arms will be Stock Width and 1 Inch Longer
- the chassis is 1 ˝ x 2 ˝ rectangular with 0.120 wall, low carbon. Yes, heavy
- the cage is 1 ˝ dia with 0.095 wall, low carbon
- The chassis floor cross bracing (not in yet) will be a combination of round & rectangular
- shocks are: 10” front 150 top/250 bottom. 14” rear 250 top/300 bottom
- The rear floor pan is all polished aluminum and will unbolt like the front sheet metal so the body can come off the frame. This is complete but not in any of the pics yet. Will post some pics in the future of this
- The rocker panels are part custom. the original were rusted so I bought new ones. I then customized the new ones by enclosing the bottoms with sheet metal fabricated in a U shape. The result was a flat surface so I can run bolts through the chassis into rive nuts. I also increased the height of the U so the result was my rocker panel is about 1" taller than stock. Do not remember why I picked 1".

BTW. I always tac weld the face of my rive nuts after they are installed. Noting more frustrating then going to remove a bolt/screw and having the rive nut spin. A few tacs and a grind flush around the rive nut flange ensures they never break free and spin.

The hardest part so far was positioning the pedals. I think I am happy but I need to finish my seat frames and mount them to make sure. I may still change the cross bracing next to the pedal assemblies to increase the space to the left of the clutch pedal

Interested in any suggestions/comments. Again, I am hoping this helps others not immersed in this sport and little local guidance. Some of the other baja build posts and pics have been very helpful to me
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Had some time this weekend to put a few hours in. I fabricated my seat mounts. The front is 1 inch taller then the rear. I am tall and like the front of the seat a little higher so I have better support near my knee.
I also was worried about my foot or shoe becoming caught in the tunnel half-circles so I fabricated a “shield”. I have access to nickel plating at zero cost so will have it nickel plated. Really happy with the way it looks.
Probably be a few more months before I work on it again. Summer time in the north east.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Cool car !! Certainly one of a kind. The good thing about time off is being able to come up with new ideas for the car.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Is that Wayne's coat floor board an option? Laughing
Very nice build and metal badassery craftsmanship Applause Applause
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Had some time to work on the bug a little this past week. Finished the aluminum decking in the rear, and finished most of the floor chassis bracing. Still need to put in the X braces between the rectangular seat mount tubes. All the aluminum panels are removable so the body can come off the chassis/cage.
Next will be seat belt harness mounts, fuel cell mounts, and figuring out the steering tube path.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Looking great so far Shocked
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Where in upstate are you? Looking good so far!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: