Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sway bars anyone?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a trusty '76 Westy that's missing its front sway bar. I've been driving it this way so long that I don't remember what it was like before. How important is that sway bar?

Any tips? or sway bars?

Also, Aren't buses too much fun in the snow... holy sh*t.

Cheers,
BC
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you need it. i would say it is a safety issue to drive without it.

if your bus drives poorly in the snow you probably need better tires. buses are great in snow with the right tires. lots of traction and clearance. you have to try pretty hard to get stuck in snow with a bus.
kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go to put a new one on don't bother going with the stock bar. Upgrade to this one and you will see better handling with your bus.

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16260&cat=302&page=2
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get one too but it says it's out of stock Sad
1984 Datsun/Nissan 300ZX
1989 Plymouth Reliant K
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the empi oversize swaybars are very good. they are available at lots of vendors. we don't always have them in stock because we are not actually a stocking empi dealer. whenever we order from our suppliers who deal in empi stuff we get them in.
NUKETROOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
Stupid question time

I don't see a rear swaybar on my 77 Westy. Am I supposed to have one? I'm confused because I see them for sale but there is none on my rear.

thanks!
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, they do not come with one stock. You can install one if you like however you should read Ratwell's write up on them first.

Cheers

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

vwbdog wrote:
Hello all,

I have a trusty '76 Westy that's missing its front sway bar. I've been driving it this way so long that I don't remember what it was like before. How important is that sway bar?

Any tips? or sway bars?

Also, Aren't buses too much fun in the snow... holy sh*t.

Cheers,
BC

I have a used stock bar with stock bushings I will give to you if you pay shipping. I am about to toss it. I upgraded to a heavier empi bar. I would of bought the bar from germansupply, but as you know, they don't always have it in stock.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got blown off the road in a big gust going thru 29 palms once, i promised myself to do as much as possible to make the bus handle better.

Low profile tires, heavy shocks, wider rims, damper, lowered, new suspension parts....

Nothing helped as much as the front and rear set of 7/8 Addco sway bars.

If you drive a lot on the highway, get the front and rear set.
It looks like the Addcos became Empi, and as much as that makes me want to vomit,
The Addcos were really sweet.

(showing my age now, garumph....)

What’s That Noise?!?
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
When i got blown off the road in a big gust going thru 29 palms once, i promised myself to do as much as possible to make the bus handle better.

Low profile tires, heavy shocks, wider rims, damper, lowered, new suspension parts....

It looks like the Addcos became Empi, and as much as that makes me want to vomit,

Have to agree on value of the ADDCO anti-sway bars. Have also installed & used their bars on many other non-VW vehicles, resulting in significant handling improvement compared to the stock factory equipment.

note: http://www.addco.net/Toyota-Yugo_AntiSwaybars.htm#Volkswagen

For years, JC Whitney was Addco's largest dealer, and sold the bars retail, thru mail order channels, for less than my wholesale price, as an official ADDCO dealer! ADDCO may or may not sell direct anymore(?).

J.R.
68 Westy
+ others
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been through 29 Palms and the Palm Springs area in my bus a few years back. Not a fun trip. There is a reason for the wind generators in that area. The semi-trucks did not help.

I recently removed Whiteline stabilizer bars from my bus. The front was an adjustable unit with 3 different holes in the stabilizer bar. It made the front end very tight, but to the point of being 'locked.' The rear bar was not adjustable. One thing that was a problem with the Whiteline was that it used links to attach the bar to the lower torsion arms. My stabilizer bar was not the most symmetric. One link had to be positioned ahead of the bar and the other behind it. Some washers were required to get the spacing correct. Still, it kinda 'popped' going over bumps while turning.

Went back to stock for now. Will consider going with a stock style upgraded sway bar that does not have the links coupled with my Whiteline rear bar.

Ground clearance was an issue also. The addition of the links caused the bar to stick down about 4 inches from the stock position.

I have tried these bars off and on for the last few years while dealing with an unrelated alignment issue. The ride is tight and cornering is improved, but unhappy with the fitment.

Anyone else out there with experience with these bars?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus68us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

Ok, I’m a week in to a 3 week road trip and 1300 miles from home with a broken sway bar on my stock 1977 Westy. Should I...

A: get it welded (have limited access since we’re on a farm for the next couple days) as a temporary fix to get home

B: get a replacement a couple hundred miles away in a few days

C: cruise on and address when I get home.

We drove 300+ miles today with it broken. Heard annoying banging and idiscovered upon inspection of the front end once we got here. Drove over mountain pass, high winds, with trucks on interstate and uneven pavement and sucked but wasn’t awful. Leaning toward leaving it until I can fix it right at home. Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

I don't think welding it is going to last very long..
they twist and they are a spring steel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

find a replacement from a donor.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

Going to a larger diameter aftermarket sway bar will make a bit of difference in how the van behaves in the wind.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

I've got a stock one that I just pulled off my bus if anybody's interested. Upgraded to the HD.

"Growing older, but not up!"
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

Take it off chuck the sway bar, but save all the parts to put a new one on when you get home.
You will be fine without it.
No auto crossing on the way home.
Good luck
Tcash
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Not sure if Addco makes sway bars for EMPI. But the EMPI sway bars are atleast a direct copy of the Addco bars. I run a set of the Addco bars on my camper. I love em. The Addco bars should still be available through Jegs maybe even Summit racing too but I'm not sure about that, but I got my set through Jegs.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

I drove for the most part of a year with a broken sway bar. I did not die. However, when I replaced it the bus was less susceptible to cross wind sway.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
bus68us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars anyone? Reply with quote

So.... We finished our trip.
Removed the broken sway bar.
Drove another 2600 miles without the sway bar.

We didn't die.

Our trip was awesome.

Thanks for all the input guys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: