Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

28 PCI will not squirt...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

I cleaned up 2 of them, and neither of them 'squirt'. Later carbs have a nice curved tube that you can easily see the stream of gas when you pump the accel. shaft.

The accel. pump looks simple and in good shape, what port should the gas squirt out from? (From the fuel Nozzle I assume, is there a way to check the tiny ball bearings?)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Fuel should squirt from the tip of the fuel nozzle, which is shown in the diagram. In the diagram it shows an air correction jet in the fuel nozzle. My 28 pci does not have that.

I rebuilt my carb and had basically the same problem. I believe one or both of the small bb's are rusted in, but hoping that with time and repeated runs of the engine (it's on the floor in my garage mounted to a spare transaxle) it will free them up and begin to squirt.

Even with the stuck bb's, with the carb installed on the engine there is enough vacuum at idle and low - medium rpms for gas to get sucked in from the emulsion tube sprayers to compensate. If anything you'll notice poor acceleration but the car should still idle and run assuming no other problems in the carb.

I think some people with this problem have been able to either disassemble their carb and free up the bb's or they used compressed air.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

If it runs, I can use the 'one hand carb rebuild' on it.

..when the car runs, take off air filter, and then give it a bit of gas, and cover the inlet with your hand. It will try to choke off and die, but give it more gas. It uses the vacuum of the engine to suck out all the passages...

Is there any other way to unstuck those BB's?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:

Is there any other way to unstuck those BB's?

Have had that happen with later carbs and could just reach into the areas with vintage dental tools to pop the BB loose. Maybe soaking that passage with vinegar at least over night would loosen up any corrosion in there.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Only the earliest (Zwitter) bb's were steel, and could rust, which caused problems. The later ones were brass, so a good cleaning with solvent should free them up. Even better...remove the balls and clean the passage properly.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
Only the earliest (Zwitter) bb's were steel, and could rust, which caused problems. The later ones were brass, so a good cleaning with solvent should free them up. Even better...remove the balls and clean the passage properly.

Like said before, have had same corrosion problem with later carbs. The BBs themselves do not corrode up, but the carb passage does trapping the BBs. Tried multiple times to loosen up with solvent with no luck.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Likely a ball stuck in the tube. What has worked for me in the past: There is a brass tube that is a little proud of the carb body, it holds the balls in place. You can work the tube out with a pair of pliers. VERY carefully turn the tube back and forth while pulling on it, It should come out. There are 2 balls as per the diagram, a larger one on top and a smaller one below. With solvent and sharp tools you should be able to work them out. Clean everything and reassemble. If you hold a finger over the tube and pump the accelerator pump it should push a little air against your finger. Make sure all the passages are open and reassemble carb. Good luck.

Don
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Other than removing that tinnny tube in the accel. housing, there is no other way the ball bearings could fall out right?

Ie, there's no screws I can undo that would remove them? Reason I'm asking is if they accidentally can fall out (seems like a solid no, just making sure).
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Update; She runs! I love these little 36HP engines. It ran by itself long enough to give it the 'gloved hand carb rebuild' on the fly and it must've got unstuck as it suddenly ran great.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Awesome, good to hear Smile Its amazing what a little running time can do on these old engines to free stuff up.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Good to hear!

Don
Strato56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

I've had problems off and on with mine and just experienced another one... Was driving home from work a few weeks ago and car started sputtering and running really poor. Would do this when it was under a load (uphill) or on initially pushing the gas pedal after coming down a hill. Finally died completely on me and would only start if I did not step on the gas pedal when turning engine over and would run and drive only if I stepped on the gas as lightly as possible.

Checked the accelerator pump and fuel came out, but didn't seem to be enough, so pulled the check balls, cleaned them up, ran some cleaner though the system and it seems better, but there is no stream or giant spray of gas when the car is off and you push the throttle linkage...

How much of a "spray" should there be when the car is off? Should gas shoot out the top of the carb? If so, I got a diaphragm problem or something cause I don't get a spray out the top...

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

That's the same issue I had. Later carbs SPRAY a nice visible and audible amount.

This carb it seems to dribble?? But don't take my word for it, mine is messed up. It runs fine, but it def. doesn't 'squirt'.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

My '55 one doesn't squirt a stream like you see on a later carb but it definitely comes out the top of the carb. if the air cleaner is off.

It's more like a little spritz of fuel that sort of sprays everywhere.

If the car is running is immediately gets sucked down the throat.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Look at the diagram and you can see how it was designed to flow out into a small air jet rather than a spray tube. It is rather unrewarding when the motor is not running watching it bubble out of the tube but the air jet seems to make it all work just as well as the later carbs. Maybe it has the advantage of being less susceptible to plugging by small dirt particles.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

Strato56: it sounds like you have a plugged main jet. Try unbolting it from the side of the carb and cleaning it out.

Don
Strato56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Strato56: it sounds like you have a plugged main jet. Try unbolting it from the side of the carb and cleaning it out.

Don

I'll give it a shot, can't hurt. I'm super shocked I have any blockages at all as I rebuilt the carb, fuel pump, relined the gas tank, etc. 2 years ago. I think it's just that it sits during the winter and gets started up, but never driven? I don't know, been an off and on problem for years for me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

The best way that I have found to clean & remove the check valve balls is to get a 3"-4" piece of wire from an old harness that just fits the passage, strip about 1/8" of the insulation off the end & turn the wire into a sort of brush. Push it into the passage & gently twist it, the wire strands clean the corrosion & most of the time, they'll actually grab the ball & pull it up when you remove the wire.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
1958kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

My fuel in coming out of the float chamber ventilation tube. Lots of black smoke and running terrible. Any ideas?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PCI will not squirt... Reply with quote

1958kafer wrote:
My fuel in coming out of the float chamber ventilation tube. Lots of black smoke and running terrible. Any ideas?

Float is sunk (full of fuel), needle valve no longer seating, crap stuck in that valve or too much fuel from the pump.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: