Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Convertible on BAT
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

Does anyone know this car? Really attractive and the attention to detail is impressive - If I didn't already have my '63 I would be sorely tempted to bid. It will be very interesting to see where this lands- in general it doesn't appear that BAT is the best venue for high dollar VW sales.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible/
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

What a gem, this car is a steal at the current price and condition. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I wasn't trying to reassemble my current project. And of course the wife probably wouldn't be happy.....unless...we do have an anniversary coming up...her car perhaps? She's threatened to drive my Ghia when assembled, maybe this is a good way to avoid that!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Does anyone know this car? Really attractive and the attention to detail is impressive - If I didn't already have my '63 I would be sorely tempted to bid. It will be very interesting to see where this lands- in general it doesn't appear that BAT is the best venue for high dollar VW sales.

Well, this 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible apparently just sold for $17k.

Initially I was thinking that wasn't too bad of a price, but I then realized that someone could have easily spent twice that much paying someone to restore it to that condition for them.
So perhps you're correct in saying that "BAT isn't the best venue for high dollar VW sales".

... then again, if that '71 Ghia Cabriolet were advertised here in The Samba Classifieds would it have really sold for much more than $17k?

On a related side note, it's somewhat interesting that the BAT listing for that '71 says ...
[quote="BringATrailer.com]...
The seller added front disc brakes shortly after purchasing the car.
...[/quote]

... when obviously that Ghia should have already been fitted with front disc brakes from the factory.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

The engine lid is from a '70 or later car, that used to be green. Can be seen in the pics. still green paint on the underside of the lid. Not sure how much that affects value.

The engine is also a 1600sp from a '70.

In relation to the matching numbers thread here, we'll see what impact this has when it sells.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
moogie32 wrote:

Well, this 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible apparently just sold for $17k.

Initially I was thinking that wasn't too bad of a price, but I then realized that someone could have easily spent twice that much paying someone to restore it to that condition for them.
So perhps you're correct in saying that "BAT isn't the best venue for high dollar VW sales".

... then again, if that '71 Ghia Cabriolet were advertised here in The Samba Classifieds would it have really sold for much more than $17k?

On a related side note, it's somewhat interesting that the BAT listing for that '71 says ...
[quote="BringATrailer.com]...
The seller added front disc brakes shortly after purchasing the car.

... when obviously that Ghia should have already been fitted with front disc brakes from the factory.

I wasn't referring specifically to Ghias but VWs as a whole - with the exception of Type 2s and more recently Things. I agree the '71 Ghia you mention did go for a fair amount but historically it appears (at least to me) that VWs don't get a huge amount of love on BAT. The disc brakes were discussed in the thread for that car. I wouldn't sell a VW on BAT without a reserve for sure. Maybe this 66 will set a new standard for value - sure hope so. What would Haggerty value it at?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

It looks nice....from a distance. It is a terrible respray as far as a color match to sea blue and the quality. Bad prep means a bad paint job. There may have been an accident in its past. Not just the later rain tray decklid but they used a type 2 bus script instead of the ghia script. The alternator mod is nice but not 66 correct. At the current price its probably a great buy but the sale price will escalate. Crying or Very sad Anyone interested should investigate fully before breaking out the $$.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

Yeah - I agree the color is a little off and I also noticed the bus script on the decklid. No way I would buy any vehicle sight unseen without having it inspected by someone - but man, there is something about this ghia that is just so pretty.....
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

That 66 convertible belonged to Tom Mink.
///Mink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

It has the rare 1966-67 only side view mirrors, particularly the passenger (R) side mirror.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:
That 66 convertible belonged to Tom Mink.
///Mink

Yup, that's my old car. I sold it in 2001. Auction just finished - $26K! Quite a bit of appreciation over the last 17 years.

As for the commenary about the color match, it was done with PPG's code for L360 Sea Blue. Probably should have done a custom color match but oh well. As for the bad prep and terrible respray, you are entitled to your opinion, but I busted my ASS doing all the prep and color sanding on that car. Is it perfect? Not at all. But it is goddamned nice (at least it was 17 years ago when I sold it for a whopping $10K).
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Convertible on BAT Reply with quote

Agree that ppg sea blue is off.
Always cool to see a car you once owned.
$26K for a 67 Vert.
I sold my clean 67 vert in probably 1983 for $5K. Crying or Very sad
1983 = $5000
18 years later, 2001, $10K
17 years later, 2018, $26K
Inflation/appreciation.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: