Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many paper gaskets split case transmission?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madflatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

I was unable to count the number of paper gaskets on this transmission when it was taken out. How many paper gaskets should I use when installing the axle tubes on this split case transmission? How does one determine, or is there a magic number?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks Mike
Meyers Manx I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

They also act as shims to set the “end play” of the axle tube. You have to do a little trial and error to find the right stack. From what I remember you want a little drag but no too much to cause issues with oiling. Do some searching and maybe someone explains it better.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

I`m not sure about a split case. But I`ve don a lot of later swingaxles. Start with three gaskets. Put them on dry, tighten the tube down. There should be a very slight drag when you move the tube around. Add or remove gaskets until it`s right. Then take it apart and put a thin coat of ultra grey silicone on the gaskets and flanges for the final assembly.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

Is it a split case transmission without the plastic packings, called daisy spacers?

On a split case transmission without the plastic packings, the end play of the axle tubes must be 0,4 - 0,6 mm / maximum 0,7 mm
If it is more than 0,7 mm, use a thinner gasket.
Still too much end play? Use no gasket and apply liquid gasket.

Regards, Armand
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

Nice Porsche.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madflatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

I do have daisy spacers. Sorry, they weren't in this photo.
Meyers Manx I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

madflatfour wrote:
I do have daisy spacers. Sorry, they weren't in this photo.

No problem.Smile
With the daisy spacers, the play should be kept as little as possible : between 0 and 0.2 mm (= maximum!).

Then do it as Bryan67 wrote : ""Start with three gaskets. Put them on dry, tighten the tube down. There should be a very slight drag when you move the tube around. Add or remove gaskets until it`s right. Then take it apart and put a thin coat of ultra grey silicone on the gaskets and flanges for the final assembly.""

VW recommends applying MoS2 grease to the inside and outside of the daisy spacers.

Regards.
madflatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

Thank you all, this is the info I was looking for!
Meyers Manx I
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

madflatfour wrote:
I was unable to count the number of paper gaskets on this transmission when it was taken out. How many paper gaskets should I use when installing the axle tubes on this split case transmission? How does one determine, or is there a magic number?

Thanks Mike

Please I'm just curious about the white plastic "guaina" I see on the clutch cable.

Is the clutch cable all running into this protection? Is some sort of teflon lubricant layer, like in bike cables, that does not require lubrication?

Thank you
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

I don't think that wingnut is going to work with the clutch release arm that comes with split case transmissions.

Don
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

This is what you need

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5886493#5886493

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JMkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: How many paper gaskets split case transmission? Reply with quote

Hi,
It's the first time i am doing this.
I had toen mush end float on the original axle tubes even with no gaskets. So i bought new short axles. Now when i mountain these i have to put 14 gaskets so that is not locked up and it's stil not free moving.

What could be my problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: