Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Total waist of line!
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

I should have clarified. Get it running without spending money. Clean the carb, reuse gaskets, file the points, use a jumper wire to the coil if need be. Get it started. If it knocks or something something crazy, move on. Part it out.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Yeah I understand what you mean. I'm probably going to part it or sell it anyway because I really want a late bay instead.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Here is the thing with bay's, great type 1 engine, Way to go 68, 69, 70, 71 all fit the bug engine, A late bay is nice I don't like the engines. Vanagon campers would be nicer and I like the water cooled even less. The thing to do is to do a custom cabinet fridge stove etc on an early bay that has the type 1 engine. Otherwise, you're stuck with a type 4 motor and all that goes with it!
Bays all original are an ok good way to go too. But let's face it a lot of these bays aren't restoration material but can still be daily drivers.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

I want a late bay because that's what my dad had and the camping set up is so much better. I like the plaids and the colors a bit more too. Nothing against mustard, but I like plaid. Late bays are also just a bit safer, and I like that.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

67ctbug. I might have a better candidate for you. Price is right. Pm me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Price is right. Pm me.

free I hope Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

I think its the mower he is talking about

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:
Price is right. Pm me.

free I hope Laughing

kid is into body work right? Cool

Cash talks....bullsh*t walks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer man, but can’t have 3 cars at once. If I sell this bus, I’m getting a late bay. Yours does look way better than mine though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:
Price is right. Pm me.

free I hope Laughing

someone better be into body work. seeing the body filler peel from the engine lid support tells me that 1) the rear hatch is shot or 2) the roof is shot from the luggage mount.

may be a solid bus, but from what I see it looks like it's hiding quite a lot

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:
Price is right. Pm me.

free I hope Laughing

someone better be into body work. seeing the body filler peel from the engine lid support tells me that 1) the rear hatch is shot or 2) the roof is shot from the luggage mount.

may be a solid bus, but from what I see it looks like it's hiding quite a lot

I think all North East buses hide lots of rust that PO's cover up. Not everyone can put these gems Rolling Eyes in a garage. They were utilitarian and used as beaters. That's why they end up like this. Sorry not everyone has a show queen in their backyard to pick from. Cool
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Sorry not everyone has a show queen in their backyard to pick from. Cool

says he that bought a 50.00 split window slider Razz

look, I WAS this kid. bought my first bus when I was 11...a 62 non sunroof deluxe. I made every mistake this kid is making....and then some. so....even if those out there in sambaland think I'm an asshole, so be it. I really want this kid to succeed (contrary to popular belief) but to offer up yet another new England turd is kinda lame....unless it's under 500.00

who knows, it could be a fixer, or it could be a parts buggy.....what I (and most here) are trying to prevent is this kid putting good money after bad for ideas that just don't pan out.

and trust me, my "show" buses get used and abused. honestly, I don't give a shit...I brought it into this world, i'll take them out too. my deluxe is full of overspray from another project I was working on. it is what it is...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:

look, I WAS this kid. bought my first bus when I was 11...a 62 non sunroof deluxe. I made every mistake this kid is making....and then some. so....even if those out there in sambaland think I'm an asshole, so be it. I really want this kid to succeed (contrary to popular belief) but to offer up yet another new England turd is kinda lame....unless it's under 500.00

who knows, it could be a fixer, or it could be a parts buggy.....what I (and most here) are trying to prevent is this kid putting good money after bad for ideas that just don't pan out.

and trust me, my "show" buses get used and abused. honestly, I don't give a shit...I brought it into this world, i'll take them out too. my deluxe is full of overspray from another project I was working on. it is what it is...

That 50 was for the title. I was 15..... Laughing Look back at my threads from 2005-06 you'll see the same things this kid is asking, I was too. Pickings are slim in CT and surround states.

You've seen my bus, its a road warrior. Nothing that winning awards. I fix it, fix rust occasionally, and drive the piss out of it. I wasn't knocking your buses.

We all want "CTbugkid" to succeed. He will learn on the same learning curve and experiences we had. I've had my "$50" bus for 12 years. Almost half my life and can't believe I'm 30 now! I've made lots of mistakes and learned a lot from it and other buses. We all just have to keep hunting for buses. Fix our buses, and driving our buses, period.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:

I wish there had been an asshole like you around when I got my bus when I was 20 to save me from all the mistakes I made, but I probably wouldn't have listened anyway.

I would try to get the engine running for shits and giggles, tear it apart and find the dead hamster inside that once made it go. Pull all the little kanobs, widgets and small stuff off of it and become a Samba classifieds cartel kinggpin. Toughen up those soft, iPhone diddling hands and send the rest of the heap to scrap. He will either hate it and give up, which is not an entirely bad outcome or keep at it. If he does, he will eventually stumble across a good bus for cheap. By that time, he will know it when he sees it and won't take no for an answer.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

From the errors of others, a wise man corrects his own.
Publilius Syrus
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/publilius_syrus_106799
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

I would try to get the engine running for shits and giggles, tear it apart and find the dead hamster inside that once made it go. Pull all the little kanobs, widgets and small stuff off of it and become a Samba classifieds cartel kinggpin. Toughen up those soft, iPhone diddling hands and send the rest of the heap to scrap. He will either hate it and give up, which is not an entirely bad outcome or keep at it. If he does, he will eventually stumble across a good bus for cheap. By that time, he will know it when he sees it and won't take no for an answer.

we p/m'd back and forth a few times. I told him to sell stuff cheap....turn and burn baby. no need for him to store all of this, and what he has isn't really 'rare' so to speak.

really, what he has are cores at best....no need to sink time/money into them. I would try to start the engine....clean points, gas down it's throat and that it.

lets face it...will anyone give more than 500 for a mystery engine or trans? the answer is no.

and yes twinzo...I get you guys mixed up still. sometimes we have to work with what we have...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

It's either getting parted or sold as a major project bus. Either way, I will be making profit. I'm going to try and get it running, but I'm not dropping a ton of money on it. Like I said, it's not the bus I really want, and I know it would take a ridiculous amount of work to make it nice. Like Skills said, my bus isn't rare. '71 is, from what I hear, the best early bay year. It would take a lot to get it roadworthy though. I bought this because it was cheap enough that I didn't think it was a bad purchase. Almost all of the camping interior is there, and the engine will turn by hand. Like I said, I knew this wasn't the best bus to purchase, but I did it anyway. When I sell it (or parts of it), I'm going to start looking for a better late bay.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

I can smell that bus from here.

Glass looks good... save that. Pop out the interior, seats, handles, motor, trans, lights, lens, anything that comes off and doesn't break you could make a buck on. Hell, pull the wiring harness and sell that too! OG wire (if there's any left) is better than the new stuff.

You could easily make $1500 in parts. Especially if you brought them all to the Terryville/Litchfield show on father's day. Folks will be chomping at the bit to buy parts.

Also, update your tetaness shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Bus, A 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Link

It's bad, but not awful. Worst part is definitely the rockers. Back floor is solid and the front floor isn't. The dog legs are okay. Engine spins. Might just try to sell it whole.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: