Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manxster or Dual Sport
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fixdrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

I'm new to the California central coast and looking to purchase a turnkey Manxter or Dual Sport. I'm having a difficult time locating one or a company that still provides this service. I would appreciate any advice/help. Thanks

Last edited by Fixdrup on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Manx1173
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

I think Coolrydes will:

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

I have a Manxter Dual Sport for sale in the Classifieds.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

Here's Joseph's Manxter Dual Sport. You won't find a better deal!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2058284
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

You could not build one like Joe's for anything close to what he's asking for it.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
You could not build one like Joe's for anything close to what he's asking for it.

Right! just ask anyone that has built one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

Thank you Mike and Andy for understanding what it take to build a quality buggy.
Yes building a Manxter Dual Sport requires many hours of work. Winnie was very adamant having the skills to be able to finish building one.
The Manxter assembly manual (for building a Manxter 2+2 on a stock pan) only goes so far and then you are on your own with putting the rest together.
Having the skill set and the imagination from building and off road racing buggies gives me an advantage over some, as I am not having to pay someone labor to do the work.
I love my Manxter Dual Sport and have spent a lot of time and money making it a very comfortable buggy that works well both on and off the road.
With the Vanagon 5 speed transaxle in it, I can crawl over rocks off the road slowly and then drive at 80 MPH on the freeways all day long with the Subaru engine barely having to work to do it.
It handles wells with the front sway bar I built for it.
Has a 17- 1/2 fuel tank that allow for over 300 mile driving range.
The in dash heater and heated seats have worked out with driving through a snow storm in Wyoming. And makes it very comfortable on cool mornings.
I would not be afraid to get into it and make another 7,000 mile trip across the country tomorrow if I needed to.
For the price I am asking, it is way less then just the price of the parts needed to build one.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Fixdrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

I have never owned a Manx so I am trying to get as much info as I can to find out what my options are and get something that works best for me. I'm sure the different models all have their pluses and minuses. Most of the driving will be on coastal roads, but will be off road from time to time.Thanks for the replies
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

If you are not very familiar with the different types of buggies, my suggestion is to join he Manx Club, ($ 30.00 per year), and go to a couple Manx Club events. (Have to be a Manx Club Member to attend the events, but there are other benefits of being a member too) They are almost 100% buggies and people will be more than happy to take you for a ride in their prized possession. That way you can feel what you actually want to get. And some are always for sale there.

The Big Bear manx Club event is coming up in July and is the largest club event all year with all types of Meyers products, clones, and other fiberglass style buggies.

BTW, Joe is selling his Manxter at less than 50% value/cost to build one.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

A few years ago, I was ready to move up from my shortened pan clone buggy to a Manxter 2+2. I researched the price of the kits, the cost of a pan, engine, running gear, electrical, wheels and tires, etc. and read thread after thread on building one of these kits into the buggy I really wanted. When I added up the cost of the parts, specialty fabrication I would need to contract out, and the time I would need to invest building it, I quickly realized I'd be ahead of the game finding a good quality Manxter that had already been assembled by someone else. It took me some time, but I found one, and in addition to saving a lot of money, I was able to enjoy the buggy in relatively short order, while still having more than enough to work on to make it my own. If I were retired and my kids were grown and out of the house, I might have built one myself anyway (cost be damned), but at this stage in life, buying a quality Manxter was the best decision I could have made.
Fixdrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I've already been through the pains of doing a frame off resto on a 55 Chevy Belair. It ran way over budget with a lot more issues than I expected and it's still not where I want it to be. I hope that I am able to find a good reliable manxter within my budget that we can enjoy cruising the central coast!

Last edited by Fixdrup on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

I don't know what your budget is, but if you are looking for a real Meyers Manx Manxter 2+2, they are selling for over $20,000 with stock VW suspension, a VW engine and transaxle.
Last one I know of, was sold for $24,000.

Manx has become a generic term for any buggy and you will see many sold that way as a Manx buggy.

FYI, there is no s in the Manxter name.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Fixdrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxster or Dual Sport Reply with quote

Thank for the head up on the "S".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: