Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hairline crack in case
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

On my way to a convention 80 miles from home, my oil light comes on about half way there. I see oil leaking, but thought rear main seal. Go to the convention, it's leaking bad by now. Add oil and drive the 80 miles back home after it's over.

Suprise it's a CRACKED CASE! 😣😣😣

https://youtu.be/59AvFkmvoBA

I find this out after I replaced the seal. I've seen cracks before but not from here.

Gonna try a JB Weld patch till I get a new case.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Oh wow, I've never seen that before..

I think you maybe able to get away with jb weld there for a long time if you prep it correctly. Maybe look into a higher grade epoxy used in industry, in fact... ask raygreenwood, he probably could give you a good idea of what to use, he works with those types of products in industry.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Epoxy may work as it's a non pressure area.....

Next time you tear engine down have case welded, probably get by without having to get 'new" case....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

For a little crack, it makes a big mess. This after 12 hours of sitting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

When you do go to jb weld or whatever that area, id drain all the oil, then id spray that area with brake clean multiple times, then i would heat up the area with a torch to drive out any remaining oil, then i'd spray it with brake clean some more.

Prep the area with with sand paper to give it tooth and clean again and apply according to manufacturers suggestions.

It's all about prep, there will only be a mechanical bond holding and sealing the epoxy in place.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Seal the case up and connect a shop vac to crankcase ventilation. Otherwise oil will continue to seep throgh that crack for a month. The epoxy will thank you.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Boolean wrote:
Seal the case up and connect a shop vac to crankcase ventilation. Otherwise oil will continue to seep throgh that crack for a month. The epoxy will thank you.

Pulling a vacuum on the case will help, I bet it would help if you could do it the complete time until the epoxy cures.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

vwkirb wrote:
Boolean wrote:

Pulling a vacuum on the case will help, I bet it would help if you could do it the complete time until the epoxy cures.

Great ideas. I drained oil and what's dripping now is just the leftovers. Seems to have slowed down a lot. I really like the vacuum idea. Might give it a try on Friday depending on how it looks.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

flip it upside down, or at least stand it on the crank pulley.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

It may be more effective to grind it out, maybe 1/8 wide and as deep, to use epoxy. Most types of epoxy don't work to penetrate into little gaps.
It must have been a flaw in the casting. Can't see how it would crack there otherwise.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Or the case was dropped to hard on that area when the engine was out.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Belzona 1111 would be fine if you can get it to stop seeping oil, otherwise 1212 would likely be a better choice as it is for wet/contaminated surfaces.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Finally got back to the bug. Brake cleaned and scrub a bit, I guess its not a crack as much as a hole. Couldn't find my epoxy, so off to the store and will try to plug it up tomorrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

If its a hole and theres nothing to worry about behind it I would think about drilling it out and installing small allen pipe plug.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

sawed off wrote:
If its a hole and theres nothing to worry about behind it I would think about drilling it out and installing small allen pipe plug.

Me too !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

sawed off wrote:

I 3rd this idea .

On a side question. Has anyone tried soldering a crack in a case? Like in water plumbing systems. We solder up all joints. Would silver solder work or is there a molecular difference which renders it incapable of filling and staying bonded?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

It is not impossible, but very difficult.
In my experience, solder works very poorly on cast aluminum or magnesium.
it works ok on extruded or billet aluminum, but you try it on a casting and it just won't tin.

Last edited by modok on Thu May 31, 2018 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

It’s obviously in the corner and thin. I’d like to see you put a plug in it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

Look up Sealace #4 aluminum plugs, and imagine them in there.

I'd like to see it properly epoxied, but I bet it's not going to happen Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hairline crack in case Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It is not impossible, but very difficult.
In my experience, solder works very poorly on cast aluminum or magnesium.
it works ok on extruded or billet aluminum, but you try it on a casting and it just won't tin.

Thanks! It was a thought. Always thinking outside the box for answers.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: