Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need fog light wiring routing suggestions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnoxBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

I picked up these awesome vintage IPF Japan fog lights for my 73 super and I'm looking for some suggestions on a good inconspicuous way to route the wires into the trunk. I'll be mounting these on the front bumper. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

It is not that hard to figger out. Look under the fender below the head light, you will see the head light drain tube. Run your wire into that which will put it in the head light bucket, then from the head light bucket into the trunk by following the head light wiring. Simple, now from the fog light run along the bumper and into the body along the bumper mounting brackets.
PM me if you need photos.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KnoxBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

Figger? Lol. I guess i should've been more specific. I was hoping to get suggestions on where other people with fog lights routed their wires. I'm not saying i don't know how to route wires. I have some ideas but thought maybe someone could have a way i haven't thought of.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

Look at a late Super with indicators in the front bumper for ideas.

The wires for the bumper mounted indicators are in a plastic sleeve and follow the bumper bracket through the wing then through the inner wing into the trunk. I can't remember if they merge with the headlight loom or pass through the inner wing via a separate hole. Earth point was a self-tapped screw each side of the trunk, shared with the headlights.
KnoxBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
Look at a late Super with indicators in the front bumper for ideas.

The wires for the bumper mounted indicators are in a plastic sleeve and follow the bumper bracket through the wing then through the inner wing into the trunk. I can't remember if they merge with the headlight loom or pass through the inner wing via a separate hole. Earth point was a self-tapped screw each side of the trunk, shared with the headlights.

This is what i was looking for. Thanks!
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

Has anyone got a good suggestion for routing the rear fog light?
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

SOmeone recently posted a pic of original VW foglights which had instructions for how to run the wiring. I would copy that.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
SOmeone recently posted a pic of original VW foglights which had instructions for how to run the wiring. I would copy that.

Great, do you where the link is, also was this for an rear light? Thanks
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

If you want official instructions there's some guides in the technical section, like this (for a reverse light, but same idea) - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e3.php

Basically reiterating what was said above, you just follow the existing head/tail-light wire routing and exit through a bumper mount.

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

Littleeagle28 wrote:
bnam wrote:

Great, do you where the link is, also was this for an rear light? Thanks

Sorry, was for the front.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

if you are perplexed to get the wires from the cabin to the trunk, I did this to get some wires to switches for my 12v washer pump. Wires are run through the grommet which was for one of the hoses for the OEM washer bottle to valve on the steering column.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
if you are perplexed to get the wires from the cabin to the trunk, I did this to get some wires to switches for my 12v washer pump. Wires are run through the grommet which was for one of the hoses for the OEM washer bottle to valve on the steering column.

Mine is for a rear fog light, is your description for the front?
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

KnoxBeetle wrote:
I was hoping to get suggestions on where other people with fog lights routed their wires. I'm not saying i don't know how to route wires. I have some ideas but thought maybe someone could have a way i haven't thought of.

List out all the ways of routing the wires you thought of so far so that other people don't have to waste their time.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I need fog light wiring routing suggestions Reply with quote

Littleeagle28 wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Mine is for a rear fog light, is your description for the front?

My example gets your wire from your switch into the trunk for further wiring without having to cut or drill.

Sorry, I don't have any ideas on how to route a wire from front to back.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: