Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

suspension question on 72 standard bug
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

So my 72 standard bug has a 3'' narrowed and adjustable beam. The problem is that it wants to throw me off the road if I hit a bump around 55mph. It's not horrible but definitely unsafe! Any ideas? I've adjusted my steering box and added some caster shims to the beam so far. The steering damper has resistance when I push and pull on it but it does sound like it's losing fluid when I do it, almost like air is in it.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

Going through exactly the same thing. Took it to collision shop in NY that does work for Classic bugs. My bug is lowered with 2 1/2 " dropped front spindles. 73 standard bug. With 195-50 -15 in the front and 195- 60 -15 rears. It has a 2.0 914 engine, so at the speeds this thing can do is extremely dangerous'

After a short ride the guy said 4 new ball joints, tie rod ends and 2 sets of shims.
I went for the NEW TieRods with the ends. Aircooled.net great stuff.
I go in next week to have it done NYS inspection, Install all the above and wheel alignment $400 for labor, not bad. This guy does work on 30k to 50k bug restorations. So he knos what he is doing.

Will let you know how it worked out. Horrible not being able to run at high speeds.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

Two sets of shims, meaning 2 on each side or 4 on each side? My shims came 4 to a pack lol
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

did you have the front end aligned? What are the #s? Either your toe or caster are off, or maybe bad bump steer.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

Both you guys....I'd like to help but you gotta get IN there and see what's going on. If you not going to do it let me talk to the guy who will. Razz You can't think your way to the solution.
My brother was driving himself nuts with a similar case. Something loose.... his truck makes a sound when he turns left. he fussed about it for like two years.
So i take a junk wheel and weld a bar to it. Put that on the truck and i can put a load on the suspension by wiggling this bar and watch what moves.
ball joint was loose in the arm.

So get in there and SEE. What is loose, what is tight??
"I can't tell which part it is"
Take it all apart, put the arms in the beam and see that they fit snug and move free. Add the spindles and ball joints and see how that goes up and down, look and see if there is bump steer and if anything interferes with anything else.
PITA yes, but should have been done to start with.

A new ball joint for a big truck.....you can't just grab that out of the box and move it, because it normally holds tons, so that level of friction is OK......but a VW beetle is on a smaller scale, FAR lighter. 1/5 or even less that the average GIANT vehicles everybody now drives.
The front end is very light, so to work right all the joints need to move freely. The beam has roller bearings because a bushing of that diameter......would have too much friction.
Mechanics may not realize the difference, what is OK for todays vehicles and what is OK for a little beetle.
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

I also noticed my car all over the road a few weeks a go after stopping for gas. Attendant added air to my front tires without me knowing..also make sure your shocks are super soft becouse with narrowing and sway bar it stiffens up the front and you don't need gas shocks just oil shocks.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

Check your tire pressure in the front. I think it should be about 22lbs. often it is way higher
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: suspension question on 72 standard bug Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
So my 72 standard bug has a 3'' narrowed and adjustable beam. The problem is that it wants to throw me off the road if I hit a bump around 55mph. It's not horrible but definitely unsafe! Any ideas? I've adjusted my steering box and added some caster shims to the beam so far. The steering damper has resistance when I push and pull on it but it does sound like it's losing fluid when I do it, almost like air is in it.

A silly question , which beam did you put the caster shims behind, upper or lower ? has the car had a wheel alignment ? As stated by others make sure there are no worn steering/suspension components , that includes rear spring plate bushes .

The steering damper has a valve on the end of the rod that pushes through oil , the sound you are hearing is just the oil being forced through that valve .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: