Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LP gas system question
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: LP gas system question Reply with quote

I have a 2002 EVC and am curious if anyone has knowledge about a specific issue with the lp gas system. So my 80% bleeder valve does nothing so I assumed it is clogged somehow, but upon further reading it seems there is an automatic 80% shutoff built into the tank. My question is, does anyone know if the bleeder valve is supposed to bleed gas every time the tank is filled, or does it only function if the built in shut-off fails to work? Has anyone observed the bleeder valve working when they get the tank filled? I have had a few people filling the tank tell me that the bleeder valve is supposed to bleed gas, but now I’m wondering if this is just an extra precaution that does not have to function if the other parts of the system are working properly. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone else has had a clogged bleeder valve, how did they fix the problem?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lp gas system question Reply with quote

saintjobe wrote:
I have a 2002 EVC and am curious if anyone has knowledge about a specific issue with the lp gas system. So my 80% bleeder valve does nothing so I assumed it is clogged somehow, but upon further reading it seems there is an automatic 80% shutoff built into the tank. My question is, does anyone know if the bleeder valve is supposed to bleed gas every time the tank is filled, or does it only function if the built in shut-off fails to work? Has anyone observed the bleeder valve working when they get the tank filled? I have had a few people filling the tank tell me that the bleeder valve is supposed to bleed gas, but now I’m wondering if this is just an extra precaution that does not have to function if the other parts of the system are working properly. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone else has had a clogged bleeder valve, how did they fix the problem?

Bleeder valve should vent LP every time the tank is filled. Should work exactly like a standalone LP bottle. LP guy should know to loosen it a turn or two after he hooks up the fill.

Then, when the tank is full, the bleeder vents. Turn the vent screw closed and shut off the LP input. Same as a standalone LP bottle.

The "RELIEF", I think it's there to completely drain the tank, don't know for sure.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: LP gas system question Reply with quote

Thanks Broseph Stalin! Took it into a propane service place and that's what they said too. They could not figure out a way to unclog the bleeder valve. Tried to run gas backwards into tank through bleeder valve, nothing. Tried to poke wire into bleeder valve hole to free up any obstruction, nothing. It's a real bummer, but I just ordered a whole new tank from go westy. Seems a malfunctioning propane tank is not something to mess around with and it appears there is no way to fix the problem other than replacing the whole tank. At least I could find the tank! Guess these things happen on 16 year old parts that are exposed to the elements.

BTW- the propane guys told me the RELIEF valve is a safety measure to keep the tank from exploding in the case of a fire or something else catastrophic. I think it starts to vent if pressure gets over about 200 psi.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LP gas system question Reply with quote

Question about an open-ended rubber tube I spotted coming from the LP tank (2003 EVC Winnie). Well, it's not directly from the tank itself, I can't see exactly where it's connected, I'm guessing it's connected into the LP distribution tubing AFTER the regulator.

Here's a pic, you can see where it has rubbed against the grey tank. The rusted strap you see is the front support strap for the grey tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anybody know the function of it?

There's a heckuva lot going on underneath the van LP-related. A Class B motorhome it would all be protected inside, the tubing to distribute the LP to three units.

Us, it has to be outside and underneath. Just the nature of the beast I guess.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
whizzif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LP gas system question Reply with quote

Anyone know about capping the LP fitting at the fridge? It’s a weird compression type fitting. I tried a 3/8” threaded cap but it won’t thread and it still has slop. Could anyone shed some light on how to cap this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: