Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

is there a sage green spray paint?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

I am touching up rusty spots on my bus. I want to touch it up with something close to the original sage green. I've checked my local autoparts store, and wal-mart and haven't found anything close.

Any suggestions other than buying original- I have no way to spray it
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

any good auto body shop should be able to mix up the tint you need, and put it in a spray can for you. Using the original paint code will get you the original colour, but don't be surprised if it doesn't match your sunfaded original paint.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

BusDepot was selling small cans of it for a while; don't know if they still are but it was like $16/can if my memory serves me correctly.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

Hi,
Not sure what color "sage green" is, but Rustoleum makes a "Hunter Green" that matches well with my original 1972 paint. It's a dark green. I bought it in spray can and in a 1 pint can, painted my engine hatch with it. Looks pretty good!
Rich
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

No, mine is that beautiful puke green. Kind of like - bite my tongue- Kawasaki green.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

http://busdepot.webappcabaret.net/details.jsp?partnumber=L33H63/2

-=Rob
'77 Westy (That puke, pea, sage green we all love)
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

When I'm touching up busses I take the actual bus to a local auto paint supply store. They mix the paint and put it in spray cans for me. One particular store does a very good job by starting first with the paint code from their manuals and then they tint it to match perfectly. They charge me about $10 for an 11 oz can. I have used the BusDepot paint, but it was about $16 for a 5 oz can. The BusDepot paint may have matched a brand new bus, but it certainly doesn't match a 25 year old bus. Good luck.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

Ah, the 70's. Had a suit that color. (I think I had a dog that color too!)
tellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

You can also get matching paint at www.paintscratch.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

Bus Depot's spray touch-up paint is okay but doesn't match exactly. It worked well for me in the less noticeable spots (ie inside the engine bay). My best luck was with a auto paint shop. the used a computer to analyze the paint and match it superbly. Spray equipment is neccessary, unfortunately.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a vendor that has pre-mixed spray cans or small cans of the Sage Green color for a '76 Westfalia.
Are there any available, aside from going through paintscratch?
I didn't see any on wolfsburgwest or busdepot.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

Sage green:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any automotive paint supply house should be able to mix up the paint you're after.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

I used this site to order a spray can for my Pastel White, and it works great. I got the touch-up pen too and it is great as well.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

I've been looking around for similar lately and in other threads on TheSamba, there were 2 rattle can options that seemed feasible - I have tried neither! The first needs a clear coat top coat for shine.

1. Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x Satin Eden (needs clear coat for gloss shine)

https://www.amazon.ca/Rust-Oleum-249077-Painters-Purpose-12-Ounce/dp/B006ZHJVU2?th=1

2. Rust-Oleum Gloss Fern

Ultimately, I found that I work around the corner from a auto paint supply shop. I got a pre-mixed aerosol can for ~$35 - mixed by paint code and they showed it to me before putting it in a can. Handy and reproducible!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

Call these guys

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/

They will mix up the paint and ship it to you in a rattle can. Get 2 cans and save.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Call these guys

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/

They will mix up the paint and ship it to you in a rattle can. Get 2 cans and save.

If I am reading this correctly:

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/technology.php

It looks like they sell a single stage 2k urethane topcoat in a spray can. I have been told that such a product didn't exist.

That would be a huge help to me as I am painting window frame areas one at a time and reinstalling glass as I repair them so I can keep rolling as I prep the whole bus for paint. Tearing it all to bits and sending it to a body shop just won't work for me.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

Several years ago I fixed a 1978 champagne bus that had an engine fire. I pulled the engine and repainted the bay using the VW brown from the paint code. Tower sent me the rattle cans and it came out okay.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

A few years back I had several rattle cans of L87 Pearl White mixed up at NAPA. As I recall it was not cheap but it was not too expensive.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

tellis wrote:
You can also get matching paint at www.paintscratch.com

All they will do is send you cans of paint mixed to a certain paint code. And if it's an older car and color, they will not accept responsibility if it does not match. And it won't march, because the paint on your bus has changed in color over the years.

Better to get the paint matched at a local place where they can have the actual vehicle (or a part off of it) to match. Clean your paint well first.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: is there a sage green spray paint? Reply with quote

Personally I go to the auto paint store and have them make me a pint of 2 pack paint and get some hardener. When I need to spray, I mix up a small batch and use a PreVal Sprayer to apply. This way you get decent automotive paint that lasts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: