Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LCOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

Just bought a fiberglass dune buggy. Engine runs fine. Having shifting problems .Won't engage into reverse. 2ND,3RD and 4th gears engage and shift well. Will engage into 1st gear but it pops out.

Took out the shifter. Everything looks good including the shift plate installed in the correct position

Here is what I found at the back end of the shift linkage. The shift linkage has been welded to the end of the transmission shaft. No shift coupler. So after a few hours with a sawzall I cut through the weld and smoothed out both ends as best as possible

I installed the correct early style shift coupler and now the shifting is even worse. Only engages into 1 gear now! I've tried to adjust the shifter in several positions with no luck. So I pulled the long linkage out of the nose of the car and it is bent and bowed in several places I'm sure it has be bent some to pull it out of the front nose of the car with several brackets in the way inside the shift tunnel that it has to curve around

Is this shift linkage rod supposed to be bent? Do I need to buy an aftermarket straight type 1 linkage rod? If so how does it connect to the transmission shaft? Or do I need to just reweld the bent one again to the transmission shaft and hope for the best? Any advice appreciated. Bill
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

There is a bend in the stock tube that lands around the area the ebrake is located. It sounds like yours was not shortened quite enough and perhaps was not turned quite right before it was welded together. You may be a case where with some help we can help you determine the right length and then you can install an adjuster at the back end to help with final settings.

I've done one shortened frame (not my current buggy) and for me it was simple. I knew exactly how much was removed from the frame so I removed exactly that length from the shift rod. Before I started cutting I scribed a line down the shift rod so I could insure it was welded together correctly aligned. These are things you have to figure out after the fact.

It may be easier to get another shift rod of the right year range for your chassis and then use a couple of points on your frame to determine exactly how much it was shortened. Then you can shorten it like I did and know it will work. As you work on this take a good look at the shift rod hanger in the tunnel right behind the shifter. If the hole in it gets egg shaped or the bushing in it is bad that will cause all sorts of shifting issues. It can be replaced pretty easily with a bit of welding.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

As EVFun states there should be off set in standard shift rod...

Also I suggest you install adjustable end fitting to shift rod.... It is a easy solution to many shift problems...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I use them whenever I do build and save one so much grief....

Not only is length somewhat critical BUT rotation angle is very important... Aslo when you have shift rod out, suggest you replace bushing below shifter...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

Use the above extension and then add a coupler like this on the transmission

You might have to shorten the shaft a little to fit correctly but the end result is worth it.
Just put the shifter in the middle of it's travel and the trans shift rod in neutral along with the adjustable coupler placed in the end of the shift shaft to measure how long the shift shaft needs to be.
One you have it close cut the length and then tig weld the new adjustable coupler on to keep the weld puddle as low as possible. File the excess off for a smooth shaft and you can then assemble the shaft to the transmission.
I put the shifter and trans in reverse and then adjust the length where needed and then tighten up the adjustable coupler.
I get perfect shifts every time after that.

Some pics....

I used a Rhino universal coupler from CB Performance for less slop and it works really nice.

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6110.htm

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

having problems like you are having in mg replica. replaced shift rod bushing then nothing works. installed the shift plate like two different books directed. that is with the long side of plate on drivers side. tried two days of adjusting and screwing around with this thing then looked at a picture in one book that showed the long side on passenger side, tried that smooth. I figure the book must be wrong. if not i'm still ok.
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

having problems like you are having in mg replica. replaced shift rod bushing then nothing works. installed the shift plate like two different books directed. that is with the long side of plate on drivers side. tried two days of adjusting and screwing around with this thing then looked at a picture in one book that showed the long side on passenger side, tried that smooth. I figure the book must be wrong. if not i'm still ok.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

The threaded shift rod adjuster makes adjustments both side to side and forward and aft simple and precise.

Its just a matter of loosening the locknut and making fine lateral adjustments or disconnect the coupling and screw the adjuster in or out as required.

Its the best $7.00($8.50 now) you can spend on a dune buggy http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-710-002L
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy shifting nightmare need advice Reply with quote

Just be aware there are two versions of shift rod adjuster, one for the donut (round) coupler and one for the box style coupler, yes they are different.... Select the correct one, install, makes your world a happy place....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: