Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Effective is EV Weekender AC?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

Please point me to a discussion on this. I searched AC and just found some troubleshooting of issues. My main question is how well does the AC (cooling) work in the EV Weekender (pop top) with the single front AC? I know Cole / Cave Van builds Weekenders on the regular EV vans so there is a full climate control with rear AC. I am assuming the Weekenders just have front AC.

Does that work good enough to cool the whole van? I would assume it was sized correctly. I don't need it 50F in the van, just comfortable for young kiddos in the back.

I know a lot is involved with how hot it is outside (I'm in Savannah, so blazing!) color of van, window tint and other insulation. I am shopping for white and silver EV Weekenders to help with heat due to color, or does it matter that much!? Thanks all! Look forward to some comments and information.

Fran
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

We are quite comfortable in 80-90F on the highway in summer. I don't do much above 90 up here, so I can't tell you about that. People in the back are warmer but comfy

They use a high end Sanden variable displacement compressor on the later T4
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

I've done 5+ hour trips in the upper 90s with two kids in the back, and they didn't cook too badly. Early on, I got a small 12V clip-on fan and clipped it to the armrest of the rear-facing seat - trying to capture some of the cold air from the center front vents and direct it back.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

We've done several long road trips in the heat(>90 for days on end) in our 2001 weekender and our AC seems to do the job. When needed, we crank it up and point the dash vents between the seats. I've had the kids ask me to turn it off because they were too cold. Our van is white with a 30% tint. The tint helps a lot. I just have johnson standard tint, I've heard the ceramic stuff works even better (costs a ton too).
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

So thankful for the responses! Interestingly enough, I ran into a guy at my kids school with an EV Weekender, silver. I asked about it and the AC, he said it did not keep up in the Arizona summer on a trip they did, which is understandable. The big benefit in the Southeast is the dehumidification (if that is a word) Shocked

It also looked like he took really poor care of it in general.

I really want a white one, so that would help, we'll see.

Thanks again all,
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

I have a weekender with front AC only and a GLS (daily driver) with dual AC.

The van with one AC unit is quite good for the front passenger - but it is a big interior and so those in the back don't quite cool off as fast. While the dual AC is killer -- one of the best AC systems I have had. Kids complain they are too cold!

I don't know if this is something that can be retrofitted, but it would be a great upgrade.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

looks like the newer EV's have a electronic climate controller in the front for both AC's. I think you could add it if you found a crashed GLS/MV that had the rear AC. Not sure how the whole vehicle harness is set up for it. Could probably work that through a crashed vehicle as well. I am leaning toward the dual AC set up.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

If you get the weekender Westie, you lost the ability to get auto AC and rear AC asa factory option.
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

i too use a clip on fan, but I clip it and hang it from the top bunk, it helps blow the cold air from the AC to the back.
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

Having owned both hardtop MVs as well as poptop MV Westies, the hardtops are much better, having the rear setup. The lack of factory tinted glass in the Westies doesn't help matters either, driving a greenhouse on wheels.

Basically getting a good, heat-reflecting tint and even sliding the Westy curtains helps in the mid-summer temps. I will say that it's not a big issue overall here in the Bay Area, but you really notice it when driving across the desert.
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

One thing to note - we do well to run the first few miles with our windows open to vent the hot air out of our Bus before turning on the AC - gets the temperature down to ambient, then roll them up and push the button.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

Good point! Got to get any vehicle from 140 to ambient as the AC is on, when the windows are down. Then roll them up when you are at ambient and let the AC do the rest. Thanks again, helps me stay focused on a MV or see how far I can go on my vanagon with small car AC, insulation, window tint. Just afraid after all that, it is not where I want to be. Thanks once again!
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: How Effective is EV Weekender AC? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
One thing to note - we do well to run the first few miles with our windows open to vent the hot air out of our Bus before turning on the AC - gets the temperature down to ambient, then roll them up and push the button.

That's exactly how we roll too.

And, just because your AC turns on doesn't mean the system is fully charged and operating at its best. If you're really needing all it has, get the system checked and properly filled.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: