Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Dare I ask - is your wife on-board with this project yet?

She drove with me to get the matching engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Nice save! Even if they just end up being parts cars they will help save other VWs. At $400.00 you will be in the black no matter what. If you get titles, even better.
got the title on the 58
The vin doesn’t fit in the states department of revenue computer systems if you ask nicely and tell them you don’t want to know who owns it some office people will tell you if it’s in the system. The 58 wasn't. Then we petitioned (sued, they have a form for it) for a title at the County courthouse and payed a fee. The DOR didn’t show up for the court date and the judge rescheduled. We went to the court house clerk’s office and got the DOR email address. We never got an email reply but they sent a copy of the DOR directors decision stating that the state police reported the bug not stolen after a vin search and that the DOR had no record of any liens etc on the title. I went to court with my wife in support and the judge asked how I came into possession of the bug and how long I’d had it and if anyone tried to claim it and I got a smile from The judge when I told him that I was trying to keep it from being crushed. I also told him I had appraisals of the worth. The recorder wrote a judgement on the spot and I revived copies signed and sealed. I took it to the local DOR license office and payed fees and taxes and they are sending me the title in the mail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

What do you think the PO put thes holes in the bug for?
Passenger side foot well

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear of drivers’s front fender

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

labmission wrote:
Passenger side foot well

Rear of drivers’s front fender

Gas heater?
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
labmission wrote:
Passenger side foot well

Gas heater?

That’s what I was thinking
Maybe the head for a S/W radio ?
WTH the finder hole for a wip antennae?
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Did a gallery search and all the gas heaters are on the drivers side
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Those holes fit a Stewart Warner gas heater that fits on the right pass.side. The Eberspacher gas heaters fit on the left driver's side.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
Those holes fit a Stewart Warner gas heater that fits on the right pass.side. The Eberspacher gas heaters fit on the left driver's side.

Winner winner chicken dinner👍👌✌️

More holes

Looking around at pdf files of manuals on the samba but not finding exact fit for the holes

Any further information?

Could I find a heater that would fit? What are the odds?

Thanks!
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Here you go: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/southwindheater_bug.php
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Doesn’t have intake hole maybe a slightly different heater or just not as thoroughly installed
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

You can eliminate cutting that hole by turning the intake to face the interior of the trunk. That's what I did and probably what your previous owner did. Also, you can find these heaters cheap (50 bucks or so) . I paid 15 dollars for mine in 2010 and it's still working good. What usually goes wrong with them is the fuel pump. It's an easy fix by installing a relay and substituting an electric fuel pump and you're in business. The S/W heater you're looking for would be model 8345B. It's the third photo from the bottom on the left side in this link. The same one as in the photo you posted.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/stewartwarner_7_63_servicemanual.php
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

labmission wrote:
Doesn’t have intake hole maybe a slightly different heater or just not as thoroughly installed

Yeah, these things came in a bunch of slightly different variations and they were dealer installed. Often very poorly. I removed one from my 63 and there were an unreasonable number of holes to patch.
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Turn signals on front fenders are 1958 year only
Are semaphores more obtainable?
Maybe I have semiphores installed and covered up?🙄😳

labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

A refrigerator magnet does stick so no bondo
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

labmission wrote:

‘58-‘63 are the same turn signals.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
labmission wrote:

‘58-‘63 are the same turn signals.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...ls#5186115

Sharp edge one year only

labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

No bumper support bar holes on front.

But they’re in the back

This makes me think that if I find semaphores I should get a birth certificate to see if this was a gray market car

Last edited by labmission on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Canadian car?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Is this a semaphore wire? Brown
Looks to be going up over the drivers door
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

labmission wrote:
Is this a semaphore wire? Brown
Looks to be going up over the drivers door

Interior light wire is brown . . . runs from the light to the switch in the door jam.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: