Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

do a cylinder balance test to see if one cylinder drops RPM less than the others and is weaker. Also in the dark look at the engine and plug wires, cap etc., see if any show signs of sparks in the dark where a wire might be arcing to ground. Watch the belt etc., not to touch it in the dark.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Solid or hydraulic lifters?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-hardwick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Solid or hydraulic lifters?

Hydraulic

1975 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

I've had issues with electronic ignition in other vintage non-VWs. If you really can't pinpoint the issue and it seems like it's electrical, Coils can be super finicky and electronic ignition can just crap out without notice. These things don't slowly go bad. It'll be fine and then unreconcilable problems.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Next time it dies.
Cranks Won't Start Test
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

I recently did work on a 63 F100 that had a pertronix kit. It had very similar symptoms for fuel starvation. I pulled the carb and it was full. Cleaned it anyway. Problem was still there. Everything was working. Ended up being a bad pertronix kit.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

the vanagon fuel tank certainly does/should have an internal screen.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=533878

also the plastic hose internal to the fuel supply can split and suck air when low..
not usually a problem with a new tank, or with 40l.
I did once have a cheap aftermarket replacement tank that would starve on turns when it still had a few gallons of gas..

t-hardwick wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Does the engine have a catalytic converter on it?

No cat converter. The spout on the tank is not removable. Is there still a screen inside the tank?

davideric9 wrote:
Just for the record I was having trouble with my van (2wd 1987) running well and it would sputter out and try to die. I would pull over and then it would seem fine and I drove it to work and home again. It did the same thing the next day, pull over near the house as it lost power, waited a few moments and then was able to drive to work with no problem, until I had to have it towed home when if wouldn't stay started.

I decided that the tank was the problem after replacing many parts. It ran great after the tank was replaced, so to be sure I really had this solved I needed to look inside the tank to see the problem, and I found it. The supply hose was no longer securely attached to the tank, so at half a tank the pump was sucking more air than fuel as the pump was not sucking fuel from the bottom of the sump.

Tank cut open with sawzall
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

filters at the center of the tank, in case you were wondering

The supply hose as I found it no longer making a seal to the hose (not great focus)

and to show it up close and pulled apart

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

I had some thing similar on my 78 Bus. I pulled these pieces of rubber filler neck out of the bottom of the tank.

Just a regular guy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Did you find the cause?
t-hardwick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Did you find the cause?

I have found this when checking one of the carbs. Not sure if this would cause my problem. I have also been in contact with Alex from the samba who is really nice bloke and helping me out with a spare carb he has. Going to try it tomorrow and see how I fair.

Do you think from the pic that would be at fault?

Thanks for all the advice and help.

1975 Beetle
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

missing accelerator pump nozzle? Yes, especially if it is stuffed between a valve and seat, or it mangled a spark plug.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

The "buy a Bus, drive it around Europe, then ship it back home" dream was much more charming when the Bus was actually new. My mother did it with an Oval Beetle.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

That's one odd looking Kadron Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Not a Kadron, when I went out back to look at my old Solexes, I didn't want to disturb the black snake that was guarding them. Shocked

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
t-hardwick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
The "buy a Bus, drive it around Europe, then ship it back home" dream was much more charming when the Bus was actually new. My mother did it with an Oval Beetle.

It’s my brothers bus. He’s only on mobile so I’m doing the speaking for him. I thought they were kadrons but they’re solex I forgot to edit that.

1975 Beetle
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Did you check for vacuum leaks yet?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
t-hardwick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Good morning everyone.

Update: after meeting with Alex from the samba he has provided me with a replacement solex and now I am back on the road running great. Thanks everyone for your input and advice. If I hadn’t relied directly too you all your suggestions were noted and checked.

Feels great to be back on the road.

Cheers.

1975 Beetle
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone near The Algarve Portugal? Help me please Reply with quote

Another samba success story
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: