Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

Want to preface with saying I'm familiar with hydraulic lifter woes and foes. Have owned many busses over the years with both solid and hydraulic lifters, so not trying to get into a which one's better ordeal.

Here's the deal. I bought my first air-cooled VW in around 12 years recently, a 79 bus. Don't know the history of the engine but just rebuilt the entire FI system. Runs very smooth, plenty of power, oil and cylinder head temps are fine, compression good.

I'm used to the lifters pumping up after sitting for a bit but cylinder 4 is taking about 3-4 miles which I don't like. Can I replace the single lifter? I know it wears to the cam. What about removing and rebuilding and cleaning the current one? I'm not tearing the whole engine apart. Just never replaced lifters except with a new rebuild.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

I'd pull that lifter, take it apart, clean it and reassemble. Bleed it in a can of clean oil, change oil in engine, reassemble and see how it goes.
Take a look at cam lobe wear while it's out.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

I'd pull that lifter, take it apart, clean it and reassemble. Bleed it in a can of clean oil, change oil in engine, reassemble and see how it goes.
Take a look at cam lobe wear while it's out.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

I think that’s good advice
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

Lifters start out with their face being a bit convex and will wear flat and then concave. At the point when they are flat they will not cause excess wear to the cam, but once they become even slightly concave the cam-lifter wear will accelerate. You can have your old lifters refaced or you can replace them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Lifters start out with their face being a bit convex and will wear flat and then concave. At the point when they are flat they will not cause excess wear to the cam, but once they become even slightly concave the cam-lifter wear will accelerate. You can have your old lifters refaced or you can replace them.

^^^^^ bingo! Well done Smile
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

I had the same exact issue last week. Cleaned it and it would work for a day or two. Ended up replacing it. Only takes about 30 min.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699859&highlight=
buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Think I 'll inspect and go from there. They all pumped right up this morning in about 10 seconds. Hopefully that trend continues.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

Helps to use an oil filter with a check valve they claim. I use a NAPA gold myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lifter bleed down / pump up after sitting overnight Reply with quote

Thanks Randy. I'm running a Bosch. Will have to reference the check valve. Appreciate your help with the cold start valve as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: