Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbskylark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Hello- I am new here and have scoured the site trying to find similar issues. There have been a few posts but not exact. Anyhow, my problem with my newly bought 1974 VW transporter - it will start and idle for a few minutes but then die unless I keep reving the engine but if I stop it stalls. It’ll start a few times afterwards but wont stay. I was able to drive it for a while but until recently it has been having this issue.

Here are the specs the seller I bought it from had posted

Engine build: Type 4 2056cc GE code engine 091 Transmission from 1978. Camper Special heads, 96mm JE pistons and NickaSil coated cylinders from Raby's Aircooled Technology. Mallory Uni-Lite distributor, custom breather box and custom header/exhaust from Chris Foley at CFR/Tangerine Racing. Weber (Spanish) 40IDF carburetors set up by Eddie at Painter's Grinding. New danish heat exchangers, new heater mechanicals.

The heater is not installed and neither is blower motor.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Air-Fuel
Spark
Compression

Figure which one of the three is missing and there will be the path to fixing it. The rest depends on how mechanical you are, and how willing to learn. If the answer is you are willing to spend some time on this then get a mentor here and let them walk you thru the problem. At this point it can be in any of the three areas above. Don't start fiddling with things hoping to find it lest you make things worse and create more problems. Work with someone to make a systematic approach. If unwilling to do that then see when Colin (Amskeptic) and/or Robbie (asiab3) will be in your area. I think Colin will be in Utah late June, and no idea on Robbie's schedule. He was in OK the other day.

One thing you might consider is getting a smoke generator from ebay etc., and checking for broken vacuum lines. Or you could spray non-flammable windex around the bases of the carbs, fittings etc and see if there are any RPM changes. Some folks use flammable carb cleaner but in a newbie's hand that is always a danger. Likewise some folks use an UN-LIT propane torch around the carb bases and hoses to look. Don't let it get inside the distributor lest you accidentally make a small explosive device.
dbskylark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

I am most definitely willing to learn. I just don't know where to start.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

How old is the fuel? Ethanol laced fuel does not age well and will clog jets if allowed to sit in the bowls for very long. It can also cause deposits to build up on the valve stems which will cause the valves to hang open, killing the compression.

Did this run well when you bought it? A PO trying to unload a non runner will tell you almost anything to get rid of it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
How old is the fuel? Ethanol laced fuel does not age well and will clog jets if allowed to sit in the bowls for very long. It can also cause deposits to build up on the valve stems which will cause the valves to hang open, killing the compression.

Did this run well when you bought it? A PO trying to unload a non runner will tell you almost anything to get rid of it.

see you have a mentor already if you want to work with Mike. What you don't want is 20 different cooks in the kitchen telling you their favorite recipe* - so whomever you choose I would suggest sticking with that person as best possible so you don't get overly confused (and tormented). Mike would be a good choice. Smile

*doesn't mean they aren't good cooks but you don't want to work on six or seven areas of the engine at one time and that is what tends to happen when too many folks get involved here. That is not to say that someone won't see something Mike may not have considered yet. We all learn from each other here. It is a great place to resolve VW bus issues.
dbskylark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Yes it ran well when I first got it just a few months ago. I let it sit when we had a snow storm for a bit. The fuel is new since it sat. I emptied the tank as best I could before trying to start it. I did notice a gauge that used to show some sort of pressure on it, no longer shows anything when it is running.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dbskylark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

see you have a mentor already if you want to work with Mike. What you don't want is 20 different cooks in the kitchen telling you their favorite recipe* - so whomever you choose I would suggest sticking with that person as best possible so you don't get overly confused (and tormented). Mike would be a good choice. Smile

*doesn't mean they aren't good cooks but you don't want to work on six or seven areas of the engine at one time and that is what tends to happen when too many folks get involved here. That is not to say that someone won't see something Mike may not have considered yet. We all learn from each other here. It is a great place to resolve VW bus issues.

I completely get it! Thank you for the info and the advice!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Quote:
I did notice a gauge that used to show some sort of pressure on it, no longer shows anything when it is running.

is that the gauge in the picture that used to show a number when the bus was running but no longer does?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbskylark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Yes it is.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

if it is at dead zero when the bus is running, and it doesn't ever move even a little then the fuel pump is not pumping or the fuel line is blocked. Do you or the prior owner add a switch to the bus that turns off the fuel? Is there any reason the fuel pump would not be running?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

You need to determine if you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump. If electric you need to make sure it is running. An electric pump could either be powered directly from the coil or fed through some kind of relay.

Since the tank sits so high the engine may well just be idling off of gravity flow, but as soon as the engine is revved and needs more fuel it starves out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

How about an update?
dbskylark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Sorry work has gotten into the way .

I know it’s an electric pump.

I’ll have to crawl underneath and see whether it’s direct. I believe it is direct from the coil
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1974 Vw transporter won’t stay running Reply with quote

Take your time. We will be here. Well, most of us will be here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: