Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

downshifting problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aereager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Occasionally when I downshift to second the tranny tries to go into reverse. What could be the problem? None of the shifter parts appear to be worn too badly.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Bad shifter bushing,bad shifter coupler,or misadjusted shifter, locking plate on wrong under the shifter,or a combination of all of the above.Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Have you done anything lately to the car that involved the gear shift? In which case start by looking at the shifter limit plate under the shifter housing. It's possible you might have put that plate on wrong. There are two raised lips on it. The longer raised lip has to go to the right. If it isn't to the right, you'll experience some weird shifting behavior like you describe.
Aereager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

nope all those things have been replaced.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Try readjusting the shifter. Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse, and I'll shut up after this post, but if you replaced all those things you don't know if the plate is on correctly until you remove the shifter housing and look at it. I'll shut up now.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Good point.
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

It is relatively easy to try to go into reverse while downshifting into second. You sure that you are not doing that by mistake? You said sometimes, so I am willing that is it, if you say all parts are current and in good shape. Hope that helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aereager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

The plate is correct. I've looked a couple of time just to triple check my work. Tried adjusting the housing everwhere. Even looked in the manual and it has an old TSB for it. Any other ideas?
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

OK, this may qualify as a dumb question, so don't get po'd: how do you know it's going into reverse? Is it that you are getting grinding noises? Maybe it's not necessarily going into reverse, just having trouble going into second, which might be a different problem (I don't know anything about trannys, just trying to better define the problem).
vwaddiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: downshifting problem Reply with quote

one time i too had this problem.First everythang was ok then i took off my shifter to cleaned it up-re-installed it...BOOM wants to go into reverse when i would shift to second. I solved my problem by removing the shifter again and installing it slowly adjusting perfectly.
good luck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: downshifting problem Reply with quote

I have this same problem with a newly rebuilt tranny. Sometimes it tries to go into reverse when downshifting to second....I know it is trying to go into reverse because if I stop and continue downshifting it does go into reverse, tried everything and it is driving me crazy!!!
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Loosen the shifter bolts and move the shifter(grabbing at the base) to the left and tighten bolts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: downshifting problem Reply with quote

I tried moving the base to the left, no difference, I then tried moving to the right and so far it is working....I will keep everyone posted if it does finally solve the problem. Thanks!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Is there a well documented procedure for adjusting the shifter?

My instinct would be to put the car in second and then loosen the shifter and pull it to the right until it wants to stop (against the rail on the right side of the limit plate), make sure it is strait on the floor, then tighten the bolts and check front to back movement to insure that is still centered.

My habit is to mark the floor and put the thing back exactly where it was.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: downshifting problem Reply with quote

Chick Iverson wrote:
I have this same problem with a newly rebuilt tranny. Sometimes it tries to go into reverse when downshifting to second....I know it is trying to go into reverse because if I stop and continue downshifting it does go into reverse, tried everything and it is driving me crazy!!!

This suggests a worn or incorrectly oriented shifter plate, not just an adjustment issue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: