Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

I put together a chart of information while trying to find a correct model # for rear Bilstein shocks. I couldnt find dimensions fo Sachs/Boge but I did find the dimensions for the correct model rear KYB.

Brand---Part #---Uncomp-------Comp----Stroke----Upper Mnt-----Lower Mnt

KYB----KG5530-----22.2----------13.74-----8.46-----E2(12×32)-----E2(12×32)
BIL---24-187077--21.62---------13.66-----7.96----12.7mm Eye--12.7mm Eye
BIL---33-061399--22.78---------14.37-----8.41----12.9mm Eye--12.9mm Eye
BIL---33-151649--24.35---------15.12-----9.23----12.2mm Eye--12.2mm Eye

What do you folks think might be the best match? 33-151649 mount holes are near perfect, but it would most certainly jack up the rear of the bus a little bit. Or use the 33-061399 and figure out a spacer for the mounting eyes?

Feel free to add anything I might have missed.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

buy some Koni and paint them yellow. Personally I would not use a HD gas filled shock on my bus. They were created to stop frothing created in heavy duty off road use.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

Koni dimensions added to the chart.....

Brand---Part #---Uncomp-------Comp----Stroke----Upper Mnt-----Lower Mnt

KYB----KG5530-----22.2----------13.74-----8.46-----E2(12×32)-----E2(12×32)
BIL---24-187077--21.62---------13.66-----7.96----12.7mm Eye--12.7mm Eye
BIL---33-061399--22.78---------14.37-----8.41----12.9mm Eye--12.9mm Eye
BIL---33-151649--24.35---------15.12-----9.23----12.2mm Eye--12.2mm Eye
KON--80-2220-----22.87--------14.05------8.82-----12x32 Eye-----12x32 Eye
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
buy some Koni and paint them yellow. Personally I would not use a HD gas filled shock on my bus. They were created to stop frothing created in heavy duty off road use.

Mmmm....not really....or not totally. That may be why they installed them on buses...if they ever installed them on buses....but not why they were invented per-se.
I agree that an HD (high pressure gas) is way more than necessary and breaks things....but gas/oil shocks have been around on passenger cars since the 1960's. Low pressure gas only I would think....for most.

The 411 variant/wagon came with high pressure gas/oil shocks from the factory...no other option...in 1968. They were used for increased weight load control without changing valving because there was to space to increase shock/piston diameter. They were single tube. Stiff ass shocks but great ride.

However you are correct that the twin tube gas charged shock was created to fix the problem in normal Twin tube oil shocks of foaming in the outer tube reservoir...which causes rapid overheating on rough pavement or off-road.

The first gas/oil shock was patented in 1956 by a Frenchman...who sold it to Bilstein. They were mono-tube high pressure with a floating piston separator.

Many sources erroneously attribute that the first gas shocks were produced in 1982. Factually the Bilstein patents expired in 1971 and Monroe built the first AFTERMARKET TWIN TUBE gas shock in 1982/83....so twin tube started in the 1980's

It was first used in the US on the Lincoln continental.

The first gas charged mono-tube shocks were in fact used on passenger cars.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

Ray - I worked next to Walker Evans and ate lunch with their guys and engineers. The baja trucks had so much frothing they were losing shock control due to frothing and heat. The gas pressure stopped the frothing. Adding multiple shocks dissipated the heat. That is how Rancho Shocks was born. KYB first marketed to the same crowds. Koni, Bilstein and SPAX were almost unheard of unless one drove a Porsche. Americans bought Monroe and Gabriel shocks back in that day. Period.

On the SCCA track in the spider we used to use SPAX shocks, AND they were a major sponsor. SPAX were also gas filled but it was to stiffen the ride. SPAX, Bilstein and Koni were all marketing their products as highend sports car shocks. GAS SHOCKS did not take off in this country until all the nuts driving PU Trucks and Jeeps wanted to be like Walker Evan's Trucks.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

Not really looking to debate the appropriateness of one specific brand or type here.

Was just trying to document some info that I thought might be helpful to other users searching through threads down the road...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ray - I worked next to Walker Evans and ate lunch with their guys and engineers. The baja trucks had so much frothing they were losing shock control due to frothing and heat. The gas pressure stopped the frothing. Adding multiple shocks dissipated the heat. That is how Rancho Shocks was born. KYB first marketed to the same crowds. Koni, Bilstein and SPAX were almost unheard of unless one drove a Porsche. Americans bought Monroe and Gabriel shocks back in that day. Period.

On the SCCA track in the spider we used to use SPAX shocks, AND they were a major sponsor. SPAX were also gas filled but it was to stiffen the ride. SPAX, Bilstein and Koni were all marketing their products as highend sports car shocks. GAS SHOCKS did not take off in this country until all the nuts driving PU Trucks and Jeeps wanted to be like Walker Evan's Trucks.

Oh for sure....its why the offroad guys like and need gas....my point was that gas shocks were not developed specifically for offroad use.

Its NOT just an offroad thing intended only for offroad.

The problem is getting the right type of gas/oil shock in the right valving for on-road use.

Everyone knows who Walker Evans is. But he did not invent the use of gas shocks. They were common on passenger cars in Europe from the mid 60's on.

And actually gas shocks in this country "took off"...volume wise....when Ford started putting them on passenger cars. This was l before KYB or Spax....both aftermarket specialty....started producing gas shocks. Although Spax has been in business pushing 60 years...they have always been motor sport.

Bilstein unheard of? For Porsche only? No at all.

And actually the first monotube gas shock in the world was installed on production Mercedes in 1957....and it was made by Bilstein.

They produced as much or more OEM dampers for passenger cars and trucks in Europe than even Boge or F&S produced through the 60's and 70's. They were just unheard of HERE...because the big three primarily bought here only.

The point I was making......is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with gas shocks for any ACVW....and they are NOT and never have been...just an off road thing. They were "on-road" long before the basic car buying public in general even knew there was an off-road.

To Ralph....I agree...this is not about brand....its about TYPE. The gist...is that you simply need to make sure that the gas shocks you buy for something like a bus or type 3...are made for it and valved for the type of driving you do an loads you have. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

I got talked into installing a set of gas shocks on my Thing 30+ years ago, very unsatifactory shock. Took some searching to find something I liked better but eventually I found a good standard shock. Sorry don't remember the brand.

Presently I have the heavy duty Sacks shocks from Bus Depot on my bus and they are fine.

Overall I find it very hard to find shocks that work well on older vehicles, even very expensive shocks don't seem to work as well as the OEM shocks or decade old replacements did. Modern suspensions designed to make a car ride smooth with a stiff belted radial tire just require different dampening than older rigs required.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bilstein Rear Shocks Cross Reference Chart Reply with quote

It would be nice to have the front shocks and the steering dampener included. Thanks for posting this!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: