Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

so i’m trying to get my 71 super beetle timed correctly and get the carburetor tuned right as well. starts up fine and the idle is a little fast. the idle screw is just barely touching the cam when the car is off. tried to let the engine warm up but fails to idle when warm because the screw isn’t touching the cam anymore. turned the engine off again and the screw sits on the bottom of the cam like before. so why isn’t the screw touching the bottom of the cam when the car is running??? is it possible that i installed the accelerator cable too tight? sorry if i’m a bit unclear about what happening, it’s hard to put into terms when you’re new. anyways not sure how to go about this without possibly messing up other stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

it’s a solex 34pict 3 if that’s important to know
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

Since it's a 34pict3 go to the 'stickies/FAQs' thread at the top of the forum page.

In there, scroll down to the 'technical' section

There's two threads on troubleshooting the 34pict3.

Also take note of your carb flange # to determine if it might be one set up for a DVDA or SVDA distributor. Here's my carb flange base # (mine is a DVDA set up carb)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183060
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

Here's a good read. Is this a restored Solex carb? What distributor are you running? Can you take a picture of the engine compartment so we can see your engine?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Since it's a 34pict3 go to the 'stickies/FAQs' thread at the top of the forum page.

In there, scroll down to the 'technical' section

There's two threads on troubleshooting the 34pict3.

Also take note of your carb flange # to determine if it might be one set up for a DVDA or SVDA distributor. Here's my carb flange base # (mine is a DVDA set up carb)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183060

not sure what the numbers mean but mine says vw 325_2
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

jsirhc22 wrote:
the idle screw is just barely touching the cam when the car is off. tried to let the engine warm up but fails to idle when warm because the screw isn’t touching the cam anymore.

Don't kill the messenger, but that is NOT the idle screw on the newer carburetors, think like from 30PICT and newer. Read up on how to adjust YOUR carburetor once warmed up CORRECTLY.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

jsirhc22 wrote:

VW 325-2 34PICT-3 113905205AN BUG 1600 1972 130 75z 55 USA Manual

It's a DVDA carburetor from 1972 and was mounted on bugs. Again, tell us which distributor you're running.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
jsirhc22 wrote:
the idle screw is just barely touching the cam when the car is off. tried to let the engine warm up but fails to idle when warm because the screw isn’t touching the cam anymore.

Don't kill the messenger, but that is NOT the idle screw on the newer carburetors, think like from 30PICT and newer. Read up on how to adjust YOUR carburetor once warmed up CORRECTLY.

it is a 34pict 3. actually sent it to volkbitz for a complete restore
jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
jsirhc22 wrote:

VW 325-2 34PICT-3 113905205AN BUG 1600 1972 130 75z 55 USA Manual

It's a DVDA carburetor from 1972 and was mounted on bugs. Again, tell us which distributor you're running.

yes im running a dvda distributor. heres a pic of the engine bay for you. hope everything looks correct and im not making some rookie mistake.

Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

Loosen throttle cable, readjust to specs, and check again.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

How did you adjust your timing? It should be at 5* ATDC. Read that article from Rob and Dave's site on the proper adjustment of that carb.

jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
How did you adjust your timing? It should be at 5* ATDC. Read that article from Rob and Dave's site on the proper adjustment of that carb.

i haven’t adjusted the timing yet. right now it was just static timed to get it started so i can time it 5 atdc with my light.
jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

jsirhc22 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
jsirhc22 wrote:

it is a 34pict 3. actually sent it to volkbitz for a complete restore

sorry not sure if there was a misunderstanding. im not trying to adjust the idle or anything on the carb with the fast idle screw. just making an observation that when warmed up the screw doesnt touch the bottom part of the cam like its suppose to. but it will touch the bottom once the car is off
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

Does sound like either the throttle cable is too tight, or maybe the engine mounts have a problem and the engine is shifting while running. Have you tried running the engine with the throttle cable disconnected to see if the problem goes away? Does the throttle return spring seem to have enough tension when the throttle is closed? If it were extremely loose, I guess the engine vacuum might try to pull the throttle plate open a bit, but that seems extremely unlikely, especially on a professionally rebuilt carb.

I can see you have the extra arm for the throttle positioner, but it appears to be adjusted properly to keep it off the throttle arm.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

Please do the following:

Start up the car, drive it around for a while or let it sit and idle or whatever, until the engine is completely warmed up, and the stepped cam on the carb has rotated all the way around to where the fast idle screw is (or isn't in your case) touching the bottom step of the cam. (I am assuming when you say the car won't idle at this point that you mean it is HIGH idling- since if that screw is not resting against the cam, it should be holding the throttle plate more open- it should not completely die.)
If the car IS in fact still running at this point, go around and watch the throttle arm as someone else turns the engine off. See if you see the throttle arm actually immediately move the fast idle screw into position against the cam, or if it very slowly comes back into contact with the cam.
If it's immediate, then there is something causing the throttle arm to hang up (although I can't for the life of me imagine anything that would immediately correct that simply by turning the engine off.)
If it's a gradual move back into position, your throttle arm could simply be sticking a bit in the throttle shaft, perhaps some cleaning residue is still in there causing it to stick. If so you should be able to work the throttle arm back and forth a bit while spraying a bit of carb cleaner or WD-40 or lithium grease or whatever around that spot.
One more question- when you got the carburetor back from volkzbitz, had he already adjusted the choke for you? Or did you do that yourself?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Fri May 25, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:

What is the "spec" for a throttle cable?

1600 SP engine
jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Please do the following:

Start up the car, drive it around for a while or let it sit and idle or whatever, until the engine is completely warmed up, and the stepped cam on the carb has rotated all the way around to where the fast idle screw is (or isn't in your case) touching the bottom step of the cam. (I am assuming when you say the car won't idle at this point that you mean it is HIGH idling- since if that screw is not resting against the cam, it should be holding the throttle plate more open- it should not completely die.)
If the car IS in fact still running at this point, go around and watch the throttle arm as someone else turns the engine off. See if you see the throttle arm actually immediately move the fast idle screw into position against the cam, or if it very slowly comes back into contact with the cam.
If it's immediate, then there is something causing the throttle arm to hang up (although I can't for the life of me imagine anything that would immediately correct that simply by turning the engine off.)
If it's a gradual move back into position, your throttle arm could simply be sticking a bit in the throttle shaft, perhaps some cleaning residue is still in there causing it to stick. If so you should be able to work the throttle arm back and forth a bit while spraying a bit of carb cleaner or WD-40 or lithium grease or whatever around that spot.
One more question- when you got the carburetor back from volkzbitz, had he already adjusted the choke for you? Or did you do that yourself?

hey first off just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help me out in such detail. but yeah as the car warms up more the idle gets faster. im pretty positive the choke was already adjusted when i got it back. i havent messed with anything since ive gotten it back.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

If it was a stuck throttle cable, turning the car off shouldn't make any difference- the throttle arm screw would still be held away from the cam (unless of course you went back later and pressed the gas pedal to reset it.)
I'm racking my brain trying to think of something that "resets" when you turn the car off that would cause the throttle arm to suddenly "jerk' back into position against the cam, but I can't think of anything.

1600 SP engine
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Ricksurfin wrote:

What is the "spec" for a throttle cable?

I was always told to hold gas pedal all the way down. Then adjust throttle cable at carb so throttle was just short of full travel. That way, there is no tension on cable as throttle doesn’t hit stop. Helps prevent throttle cable from breaking.
jsirhc22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
If it was a stuck throttle cable, turning the car off shouldn't make any difference- the throttle arm screw would still be held away from the cam (unless of course you went back later and pressed the gas pedal to reset it.)
I'm racking my brain trying to think of something that "resets" when you turn the car off that would cause the throttle arm to suddenly "jerk' back into position against the cam, but I can't think of anything.

honestly i’m not sure either. gonna mess with it tomorrow after work and hopefully i can figure it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: