Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I went just to bus youtubes and my experience with pulling bug engines, but when I pulled my 2L FI bus engine, I did not attach a transmission support bar.

Now while looking at my manuals, I came across this procedure

Is that bad I did not put attach one? - if so, in what way?

Do I need to put one in before I put the engine back in... will the process of putting the engine back in without the bar, mess something up?

Thanks!
Matt
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

Isn’t your transmission supported by the hanger above the bell housing?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Isn’t your transmission supported by the hanger above the bell housing?

I'm not sure what that means, I am new to buses....
The tranny is not hanging down, that is for sure..
Perhaps I can go out and see what you are saying...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

If you take the two bolts out above the bellhousing so that you can pull the engine without removing the rear tin and some other stuff you need to support the transmission before you pull the engine free of the transmission. If you leave the bolts in place you do not need to add any support.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

if you pull an early bay upright T1 engine then the transmission should be supported, VW shows a tool that does it but a chain or rope is what those folks use.

If you pull a late bay pancake T4 engine, then the transmission is supported on two ears by a carrier bracket and some rubber isolators. They get old and break so they should be carefully checked. Many of us prefer tp pull the late engine and transmission together. An image of the carrier on a late bay is below. Because it is there a chain or support tool is not needed like on an early bay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

thanks, that really helps,

I can understand now why people pull the tranny and the engine together.

My brother and I have been working 4 hours now trying to fit the engine in.

We have it part way in, ( lower studs in tranny holes, and some push in) but the flywheel teeth as well as the pressure plate is showing. we feel we need to lift the engine near horizontal to have it go in, but the oil filler tube is in the way. So with the engine at an angle we are trying to push the engine in enough to clear the oil fill pipe then jack the engine near horizontal.
But we are making no real progress with this and are stuck.

I will create a new thread for this to see if there is any help. The engine is only barely in where it is.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

Pull the engine back out, and put a floor jack under the middle of the tranny from the front or side. Now pull the two bolts that hold the bellhousing to the cross beam and lower the tranny so the bellhousing drops about 2-3" inches and put a jack stand or some blocking under the bellhousing and remove your jack. (If you don't need your jack to lift your engine you can just leave it under the tranny instead of otherwise supporting the bellhousing.) You can also hang the bellhousing from above after dropping it the required 2-3". Use some chain or stout rope to hang it, you don't want it coming down.

With my fairly simple but refined method it typically takes me about 5-10 minutes to get the engine mated to the tranny from the time I begin raising the engine.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission support bar when engine is out (?!) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Pull the engine back out, and put a floor jack under the middle of the tranny from the front or side. Now pull the two bolts that hold the bellhousing to the cross beam and lower the tranny so the bellhousing drops about 2-3" inches and put a jack stand or some blocking under the bellhousing and remove your jack. (If you don't need your jack to lift your engine you can just leave it under the tranny instead of otherwise supporting the bellhousing.) You can also hang the bellhousing from above after dropping it the required 2-3". Use some chain or stout rope to hang it, you don't want it coming down.

With my fairly simple but refined method it typically takes me about 5-10 minutes to get the engine mated to the tranny from the time I begin raising the engine.

Really, thanks for this! Wish I read it sooner., it would have saved my brother and I hours... and is still not in. Will be trying it this weekend. I replied a longer reply to my other post. But for you I have 2 additional questions...

Can this be a one man job? Sounds like it can from your comments.

Also, don't you have to disconnect the transmission coupling? I did this step so as not to bend the coupler.

I removed the starter to get much easier access to the passenger side upper tranny bolt. I think my brother and I were getting really burned out trying to get the engine in without dropping the tranny.

Will be working on it soon, in a day or so if it can reasonably be a one man job. My back is not the greatest ( 2 buldging discs), so that can hinder me quite a bit at times... well, most of the time..

I really do appreciate your help always.

Matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: