Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

I'm probably the only one that has had cracked cylinders! But a drop ship supplier and my mistake of using them are at fault. It was a lack of machining to some AA-Performance 88's. I bolted them on with the cylinder fins hitting each other and even wondered what those sounds were as I torqued the heads.
They dripped oil everywhere when revved both sides probably just one on each side cracked though. Oil was just on the cylinders and below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I would be willing to bet you don't have cracked cylinders:

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

When I was looking for a massive oil leak I started it up without the fan housing and tins.
For me the leak was a crack in the block under the oil cooler and a split oil cooler.

Fixed by jamming copper tube covered in JB weld down the gallery feeding the cooler and buying a new oil cooler.

I learned not to hit the oil cooler by dropping the fan housing on it.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Is it equally oily on both sides? If so maybe in the cooling area. Where are you venting the case?
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Like somebody already said clean it all off then powder the engine to see where the leaks come from. There's also uv dye you can put it the oil and use a black light to look for the dye. But with either method you need to watch from the start because once it leaks enough you won't be able to tell anything. Or if your really desperate drain the oil and hook up a regulated air supply with only a few psi and listen for leaks. But too much air pressure will cause more problems. I've found smoking a cigarette while you look for air leaks can help. You just blow the smoke where you think it's leaking. You should see people looking when your on top of a big Cnc mill smoking and blowing it all over. The electric cigs may make an even better cloud.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of response, been a busy weekend and week, and will be another week before I can really check it out, so I'll be taking advice from here and checking it out...

But I'm about 99.99% sure it isn't oil cooler related...

As to where I am venting, the Gene Berg breather replaces the oil filler, and the bug pack box I'm running with it is mounted to the front of the fan shroud (front=front of bus), at the top, in the middle. It's the highest point in the setup.

I do smoke, never thought about that for checking air leaks, but its a pretty good idea!! I bet it can look odd to an unknowing spectator! Laughing
skapunkfoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

I've used UV dye in the oil and it really helps find a leak. Clean off the motor, add the dye, run it for a bit, use a black light to find where they dye is coming out.
I got the dye from NAPA but you can also get it on Amazon
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Too high oil pressure when cold? 30mm oil pump and heavy viscosity oil are a known to be leak phrone.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

I also had a oil leak on a fresh rebuild that took me a while to find. Charged cylinder in area of oil leak with air. Got out spray bottle soapy water this is what I found. Casting flaw in a new AA 88 thick wall cylinder. Couldn’t see it on inside of cylinder. First time I’d ever seen that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: