Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Washer Pump Problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Windshield Washer Pump Problem Reply with quote

Hey all!

I searched, but didn't find my exact problem here. I'm still pretty noob at all this, and I came across a new problem recently. My windshield washer isn't working.

First thing I did was remove the washer tank, and test if I have 12v on the plug, and if I have a good ground continuity. Answer is yes to both. I thought my pump was dead then.

Ordered a new pump, received it yesterday, and reinstall everything. It still doesn't work. When I pull the windshiel washer handle, nothing happens. No washer coming out of the nozzle, wiper aren't moving at all..

Heres the tricky part (for me at least): I removed the pump from the tank, so the pump was hanging free. Pulled the handle.. It works... So the pump work, I have current, but when I put the pump in the tank, it all stop working.

What am I missing here?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Washer Pump Problem Reply with quote

Continue with your detective work:

- drop the pump in a pail of water and make sure it actually PUMPS...
- investigate your washer hoses for pinch/kinks/splits/etc...
- pin <or> pipe cleaner+CLR to clear washer nozzles...

I had similar symptoms when I first got our van...I found the hose pinched
shut between the sheet metal & the headlight wiring loom behind the grille.
Replaced the hose + cleaned the nozzles & it's been great ever since...

Git 'r done! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Washer Pump Problem Reply with quote

How difficult was it to remove the pump from the tank, I have seen pumps being squashed enough so they don't work, the washer pump is I believe a plastic bodied pump, I think it's possible that the reservoir is pinching the pump enough to prevent it from operating.

619 201 0310
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Washer Pump Problem Reply with quote

The pump is a press fit into the tank via a rubber o-ring. Once you drop the reservoir, you can simply pull the pump out of it's spot on the tank.

Craig
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Washer Pump Problem Reply with quote

I had a similar situation once and thought it was the pump. As I was removing it to replace it, I discovered it was just a bad electrical connection at the pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: