Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T exhaust manifold crack + turbo crack?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack + turbo crack? Reply with quote

I was hearing a small exhaust leak on startup and found this crack in exhaust manifold last night. Not the most common conversion but hoping someone here has some input. I can definitely feel exhaust on my finger when engine is cold near crack. Not sure if goes away once warm. We are trying to use the westy once a week right now and had a small trip planned this weekend. Probably risk damage if continue to drive until new manifold comes in?

I am not looking to have the crack welded I will be replacing. It looks like several companies make aftermarket high flow exhaust manifolds for the 1.8t. Mine is 2005 Jetta AWP done by SAH.

Anyone have experience with the aftermarket ones? Any suggestions on purchasing a new manifold. Just off phone with VW dealer, parts department list new is $535 for manifold.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by theadventureneverends on Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

I would be very cautious with the “high flow” exhausts for your particular application. Hi flow manifolds typically increase flow above 4500 RPMs which you shouldn’t hit with your transaxle anyway. Your OEM manifold is designed to be restrictive to the extent to minimize low to mid end turbo lag at the expense of high flow at high RPMs. Most 1.8t enthusiasts don’t report much gains even on the top end unless the turbo is flowing more after changing out the tiny K03 for a k04. I’d go for another OEM if I were you. You need the low end torque more than the top end
My .02
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Pcforno appreciate your advice! Not necessarily looking for more power. Looking for a quality replacement manifold. Just got off the phone with VW looks like I can get a possibly better stronger manifold for about $100-200 less from aftermarket companies. List at VW is $535. I am seeing aftermarket via google search for about $300. Sure appreciate keeping things oem though. I am completely ignorant with the add-ons aftermarket for the 1.8T. I just do not know if I am better off with an aftermarket for $300 or oem for $535?
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Not sure which manifolds you’re referring to - most aftermarket ones are for higher flow, and some don’t last if you read the Audi and VW forums. For my money I’d go OEM
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

I completely agree with Pc here. "Better" is a relative term. The bigger, longer aftermarket manifolds tend to kill low end power, and low end power is exactly what you need with a Vanagon. In addition, they tend not to last as long as the factory manifolds. So while "better" may equate to cheaper and possibly more top end power, it's definitely not better for drivability in a Vanagon and not for longevity.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice looks like it will be OEM. Any suggestions as other options besides $535 from dealer?

Thank you!
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
Appreciate the advice looks like it will be OEM. Any suggestions as other options besides $535 from dealer?

Thank you!

FCP Euro sells an OEM manifold for $410 - free shipping and lifetime warranty.

John
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

John, thank you for that suggestion. Never heard of them just checked their website and will be calling in the am!
SyncroJack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Would this one fit? On sale too Wink

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/exhaust-manifold/06a253033al/

Or try a pick n pull if you wanted a used one?
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Yes! That’s a great deal. Just beware as ECS is widely known as “extra cost shipping”
Laughing
robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

I love ecs, never had a problem with them at all.
84' westfalia 1.8t
87' 4runner
91' 2.9 vr6 coupe
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Why not weld that manifold? I ran into this with my Mk2 8v jetta. The manifold was cracked and a replacement was not available. Drilled out the ends of the crack, Vee'd it out real good and welded with the appropriate high nickel cast iron SMAW electrode. Still tight after a year. And it was a doozy of a crack.

J
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll bet Zeigler's here in Oly would weld that for you

http://www.zeiglerswelding.com/

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Removed exhaust manifold sure was hoping not to have to remove turbo but one manifold nut just couldn't be reached with the turbo in place. What could have been quick took a while. The crack is significant in the manifold and for $300 just seems to make sense to purchase new oem rather than try to have welded, I do appreciate the suggestion though and if one wasn't readily available I would give it a try.

I was expecting to disassemble today make a parts list and order tomorrow. I was able to disconnect 2/3rds of turbo and move just enough to get to the last manifold nut which was better than removing the whole unit. But the bummer now is looking down into where the manifold dumps into turbo I am seeing what is a crack. Briefly reading on Google sounds like some cracks in there are normal as long as not leaking. So now probably end up removing to inspect better.

Anyone have suggestions for a 1.8t forum where I can post a pic and get advice from folks who are familiar with these turbos?

Thank you.
John

Crack in Turbo?

theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack + turbo crack? Reply with quote

Texted with Stephan from SAH this am and the crack in the turbo is nothing to be concerned about. 7 years after conversion he takes time to respond to questions happily! Highly recommend Stephan's Auto Haus.

Ordered new oem manifold from ECS today $290 and several other pieces of hardware and gaskets.

Appreciate all the advice thank you!
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T exhaust manifold crack + turbo crack? Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
Ordered new oem manifold from ECS today $290 and several other pieces of hardware and gaskets.
!

You lucked out! When I click that link, I get $433.00
I had something similar with ECS, go to buy some marker lights real cheap, went to change the cart to 4 sets, got a note "not available", Back to 2, buy them.

Go back a few hours later and they are at a higher price and you can put as many as you want in your cart!

Now prepare yourself for 1-2 e-mails per DAY from them. Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: