Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights, anyone try these?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I just ordered them. After all of excitement about the GW-EFI, this fell through the cracks.

Does anyone have info about H3 replacements? I found one but I have no idea how much clearance there is behind the inner high-beam-only lights.

BUMP

Still looking for H3 LED's and experience, in a Vanagon, with the replacement.

So far, I've found low wattage (i.e., out equivalent to low wattage incandescent lamps) equivalent, but not even 50W equivalent or higher.
phishnbtv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

USPS strikes again with late shipping. I have all the parts to do my South African Grill with the exception of the headlight harness from Van Cafe. The headlight harnesses sold just make things easier to play and play correct? Is there any reason I couldnt just splice on some blade connections wrap them with some electrical tape and call it good?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

The ones that I got came with two H13 to H4 adapters. You could use the H4 end to splice in easily enough. I personally like soldered connections with heat shrink tubing over them, but wrapped together and covered with electrical tape would work.
phishnbtv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Just a quick update now that I've had my grill and lights in for a little over a week and put around 800 miles on the van with them. I went with the lights from amazon that heidi85ho and ?Waldo? are running, I'm sure there are higher quality options out there but for the $90 or so I paid on amazon I couldn't pass them up. All in all I'm really impressed and they're a massive improvement over my old rectangular lights.

I was tight on time so I had to get the parts from a few different vendors to try and keep shipping costs reasonable. Grill and inners from Bus Depot, GW buckets from RMW, wiring harness from RMW, and LED lights linked in this thread from Amazon.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if you're looking for a big improvement over your stock square headlights.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

FWIW, pulling the 9004's and dropping in LED equivalent in my square lights worked like a charm. I have aiming issues (much too low) but I also have the replacement aiming bits, too.

The remaining challenge is finding bright H3 replacements. I thought I'd found a winner until I read the output - 3000 lumens. Fail.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Scrolling through eBay, I finally found some high output (burn the yellow stripe off the road) LED's. If I have the data right, the total draw is about 38 A???

Is that right or is there some jiggery-pokery to drop the load to something more rational. I have the relay kit, but I'm challenged to see how wish away 38 A.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

phishnbtv wrote:
I went with the lights from amazon that heidi85ho and ?Waldo? are running, I'm sure there are higher quality options out there but for the $90 or so I paid on amazon I couldn't pass them up. All in all I'm really impressed and they're a massive improvement over my old rectangular lights.

For clarity, the ones that heidi85ho are running and the ones that I am running are different. The ones I purchased are $10 less and have a higher lumen rating. I'm glad you like them.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I thought I'd post up a link to an Amazon seller that appears to be selling the same headlights that I purchased previously for a few dollars less. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074T7JS1L/ref=pe_58340_286803320_em_1p_1_ti

Amazon just sent me a coupon for 6% off for Jeep JK parts. I decided to get another set for my van that currently has the euro H4's, relays, and high wattage bulbs. When I got to the checkout screen, Amazon had also applied a promo. The promo was - $4.40. The coupon was -$5.28. Free shipping. The total cost to my door was $78.32! That's an amazing price for some amazing headlights.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I hope you paid $100 for the expert installation!
Laughing
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

If a penny saved is a penny earned (actually a penny saved is 1-1/3 pennies earned due to taxes...) then I guess I paid myself accordingly.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I thought I'd post up a link to an Amazon seller that appears to be selling the same headlights that I purchased previously for a few dollars less. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074T7JS1L/ref=pe_58340_286803320_em_1p_1_ti

Amazon just sent me a coupon for 6% off for Jeep JK parts. I decided to get another set for my van that currently has the euro H4's, relays, and high wattage bulbs. When I got to the checkout screen, Amazon had also applied a promo. The promo was - $4.40. The coupon was -$5.28. Free shipping. The total cost to my door was $78.32! That's an amazing price for some amazing headlights.

Waldo,
I picked up a set of these bad boys to replace the dim lights on my 1990 doka. I plucked out the old ones and noticed two other wires that are also there with the adapter, any thoughts on what those may be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Thanks for the info on the lights! SO far a great item, just curious how you secured them in, and also what wires you used? Mine came off a 1990 vw doka, trying to wire it all in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Figured it out! The original lights that still say "german republic distribution" on them had a built in headlight trim, so when I was going to replace them the trim piece was never there. Ordered them and then the lights will be dialed
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I've got HID's in our '90 Westy. The HID's work, that is, they're suitably bright. But the high beam takes a while to come up to full brightness - 2-5 seconds?? Once up, dipped briefly, and back up, no delay. But...

The lamps have a finite life expectancy (shorter than LED's). They have a ballast and power unit each (Murphy's playground...). As a bailout, I bring along the halogens the HID's replaced - they're plug and play and I installed the relay kit before going to the HID's.

We have a major trip coming up in a couple of months. I really want to go with LED's. But we have square headlights (and always will - ahem...). Has anyone tried using simple LED bulb replacements? I have no sense of how much clearance there is behind the headlight buckets. Dimensions, anybody?
Necro posting but maybe this is helpful.

In throw spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks mode, I went Van Again and bought their high/low kit. I slapped them in the outer square lights with halogens in the inner lights. All HID stuff is now gone. The LED's, in high beam, made the halogens look lame.

After some dithering, mostly over whether the fans behind behind 99.9% of all headlight LED's would fit, I pulled the trigger. The search was for sufficient LED wattage and emitter technology. Caution - some of these kits have ratings not better than a Maglite 2D flashlight. All ratings are doubled - each light is half the advertised rating - bastards.

With all LED's in and only close to right (bright spot on the garage door), I had some seriously bright light. As a side project, I replaced all of the aiming screws, etc. As part of prepping to head out west, I had the lights properly aimed. The results are quite satisfactory. The only dimmit danmit to date is from a pedestrian walking by while I was parallel parked to make a phone call. BTW, I did not shift to projectors.

The issue of "is there room for the fans" turned out to be not a problem after pushing a few things out of the way. The hi/lo's were a non-issue from the start. I have auxiliary high wattage left over from trying super bright halogens. IMHO, super bright halogens are not worth the effort now that LED's are common.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Thinking of going backwards here. I installed Relays years ago when I put big halogen bulbs in my van. I then removed them and installed HID and now have removed those and installed "Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0" as well as "Morimoto 2 stroke H3" .

I am now wondering if the relays are unneeded and just another point of failure. Speak up, all opinions welcome.

They only pull 22W per bulb which is less than half of regular bulbs.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Nope - relay not needed. 22 watts is less than the OEM bulbs, let alone halogen bulbs.

But... if you've already installed relays, no need to take them out.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Funny I come back to this thread years later and find it had posts just a couple weeks ago.

I'm considering going LED. I'm wondering how Waldo's and Heidi's lights have held up? Still happy campers?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

FWIW, I bumped up to higher watts - more's always better! They're basically, no-name with specs that seemed to be a close fit to what I want.

I changed to the GW Euro-pattern lenses, and count the setup as a win. Truth is, I can't see staying with anything but LED's. No ballast issues, no burning out, no relays and high amp wiring. KISS and go LED. :)
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I know they are pricey but what do folks think or have used the Osram LEDriving lights?
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Thinking of going backwards here. I installed Relays years ago when I put big halogen bulbs in my van. I then removed them and installed HID and now have removed those and installed "Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0" as well as "Morimoto 2 stroke H3" .

I am now wondering if the relays are unneeded and just another point of failure. Speak up, all opinions welcome.

They only pull 22W per bulb which is less than half of regular bulbs.

Stacy

Hey Stacy,

Brian here from Burlingame Independent VW-Audi. My handle here on "TheSamba" is from the 1988 BMW M5 I have that you swapped a windshield on, small world. You have a valid concern with the added components you added that allowed high current and stiff voltage needed to operate properly your old Halogen set-up bypassing the stock switch current wise. With the newly installed LEDs pulling way lower power and their large voltage window to operate properly, I'd say your safe to remove the modification for piece of mind of component failure. Remember though, the relay offloading of the original circuit does nothing but help with the exception of more connections and new components that could potentially fail. Less is more unless it's not. Everything can always be confirmed with a "Voltage-drop" test.

BK

PS Everyone take the plunge and learn/understand the "VOLT-drop" test while the circuit is in use, life changer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: