Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

I've already got a superdiff, that LSD would be nice, but that's not in the budget.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

So Ben did you get it all sorted?

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:

Good news: all gears engage and the tranny didn't lock up.

Bad news: second gear won't stay engaged under power.

More bad news: the trans must come out again to adjust the 1-2 shift fork.

More good news: I get to use my high dollar pinion socket again. Shocked
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

Bendejo wrote:
Sloride wrote:

The transmissions begging for a LSD....

Laughing

It’s a worthy upgrade for someday, keep it in mind for the next round and save the pinion tool for the job Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

Bendejo wrote:
Sloride wrote:

You just lowered your cost per use by another 50%!
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

So Ben and updates? How are things going with the new transmission? I've been thinking of getting mine re-geared to lower the rpms a tad.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

I've been meaning to post an update. Transaxle is doing good, I just pulled the 600 mile oil sample and nothing stocking was found. Oil is still very clean with minimal wear particles. The shifting is getting better with every drive. I'll drain and refill the box before our planned trip in November.

Currently I'm waiting on some parts to tighten up the steering, should be here this week and then I'll resume driving it to work (70 miles round trip) as often as possible.

I entered it in our local car show, and while we didn't take home any trophys, we got a ton of positive feedback from the locals who have been watching the progress. I had the only import in the show.

I'm planning on finally installing a heater and getting the balance of the interior panels installed.

My only gripe at this point is an annoying buzz from under the luggage rack at higher speeds in certain wind conditions. I think I need to remove the rack and bend the driver side front bracket to get more clearance from the roof?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

Bendejo wrote:
My only gripe at this point is an annoying buzz from under the luggage rack at higher speeds in certain wind conditions. I think I need to remove the rack and bend the driver side front bracket to get more clearance from the roof?

I used to get that with the Westy luggage rack sometimes. Cured it by using a Jeep Cherokee door seal (same profile as a poptop seal) in place of the trim edging around the luggage rack, with sections of the bulb cut out at the corners to allow water to drain.

That worked fine for 8-9 years, then I permanently fixed all of my Wesy poptop issues by installing an Adventurewagen hightop. Twisted Evil

Thanks for the update!
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

I get that as well when I start rolling at about 75 mph. I just use it as a reminder to slow down.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

Update: panels are on order from Sewfine, the might even be ready for the trip!

I'm getting a little frustrated with the heater. I got a vanagon rear heater used, but it looks like I'm going to need to massage the splash pan to get it to fit up under the front. Anyone have any photos of the heater setup you're using?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

Bendejo wrote:
Update: panels are on order from Sewfine, the might even be ready for the trip!

I'm getting a little frustrated with the heater. I got a vanagon rear heater used, but it looks like I'm going to need to massage the splash pan to get it to fit up under the front. Anyone have any photos of the heater setup you're using?

I'm not sure I have any real good pics (maybe some in my build thread of a slightly earlier iteration) of my front heater setup. I will say that I did cut up the front part of it and used some different parts and Gorilla tape to rig up a hookup for the tube that I connected to the heat tube. So I essentially cut off most of the front vent part of the heater.

It also has to sit in just the right spot to fit with the splash pan. Mine is bolted to the splash pan and therefore comes down when I lower the pan. I saw in a thread somewhere where the person hung it from the floor so it stays in place if the pan comes down. I feel like that is a much better setup.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Charla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bad Leroy Brown Gets some more huevos. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stay tuned...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: