Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW to supply self-driving T6 vans to Apple
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: VW to supply self-driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

For employee shuttles

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/23/apple-volkswagen-deal-autonomous-shuttles/
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

Kinda wondering what use we'll be soon.

Hope no errors intervene in posting this on my iPhone.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

So then the T6 will make it onto the NHTSA list, I am thinking
Maybe one of these is in the future as road legal in USA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a regular guy
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

Bah!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
78busboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

Brill. (To heck with BMW and Mercedes; it's about the mass market.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/technology/apple-bmw-mercedes-volkswagen-driverless-cars.html

Me thinks they're going to beta test this till the cows come home, then work it into the ID platform. And then into Audi. Perhaps even into Porsche.

Fasten your seat belts. There be market disruptions ahead. Car sharing options. Memberships. Pay per trip. Full ownership. What else?

Put this kicking & screaming old-skool VW bus guy down for an AWD ID Buzz with a 350-mile range. California Apple Edition. And I'll want my own. Red, please.

(But do change that silly ID Buzz name.)

Past:
'60 P 356B S90 - red
'74 Ghia Vert - yellow
'75 Westy - orange
'79 Westy - dakota beige
'84 Westy - assuan brown
'87 Westy - titian red

Present:
'97 Previa LE S/C All-Trac - (The one that Doug Demuro reviewed)
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

Hopefully the vans are hack-programmed to run over their inventor. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

This might mean since they will have to be crash tested and smogged, it MIGHT be easier to bring a T6 in from EU.

Its doesn't make it a slam dunk though, you need a MFG sticker or suitcases of cash - it just means the testing will have been done.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
This might mean since they will have to be crash tested and smogged, it MIGHT be easier to bring a T6 in from EU.

Its doesn't make it a slam dunk though, you need a MFG sticker or suitcases of cash - it just means the testing will have been done.

This would make it 100x easier. I believe you would only need a manufacturer letter saying it is DOT compliant. Make sure the speedo has MPH on it and then the rest could be done without a registered importer. Hopefully whatever vehicle class they import it as won't be subject to the 25% truck tax.

Hasn't been tested yet though.

How does one get a loan for a vehicle overseas where you have no gaurantee of being able to import it over?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Abscate wrote:

This would make it 100x easier. I believe you would only need a manufacturer letter saying it is DOT compliant. Make sure the speedo has MPH on it and then the rest could be done without a registered importer. Hopefully whatever vehicle class they import it as won't be subject to the 25% truck tax.

Hasn't been tested yet though.

How does one get a loan for a vehicle overseas where you have no gaurantee of being able to import it over?

Is there any history here of anyone successfully getting a cert from VW GmbH for this purpose?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

I have seen it mentioned but never seen an actual letter.

I will do more digging after the crash tests.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

Where apple is planning on using them for shuttles on their campuses, if they own the property any only use the vehicles on their own roads the vehicles do not need to be registered for use on public roads and therefore do not need to meet DOT approval.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

I think they will be on public roads between campuses, but only Apple knows those plans For certain. There are only A couple of years of T3 on the NHTSA LIST and no T4s so it doesn’t look like the list will help.

I can’t find a single instance of a cert letter on Samba so while this is in the regs I don’t think this is viable. Knowing and working withGerman companies a lot, this does not surprise me.
78busboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

From the NY Times article:

"The frame, wheels and chassis of the T6 vans will remain, but Apple is replacing many components, including the dashboard and seats, said two people familiar with the project. Apple is also adding other computers, sensors and a large electric car battery, they said. The shuttles will ferry employees between two of Apple’s Silicon Valley campuses, and will include a driver behind the wheel to take control if needed, as well as an operator in the passenger’s seat tracking the van’s performance."

I think this project is to mine data for VW's ID platform. And I could be wrong, but I doubt any of this stuff would make it into future iterations of the T6.

Also, not sure if a couple dozen tricked out T6's driving between the original Apple Campus and the new Apple Park would make importing T6's any easier for us wee folk. It's minimal. We're talking 3 miles door to door.

-But if you're watching, VW, when you're done I'll gladly take one of those. Wink
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

The CBP site is clear. You need either a sticker of compliance on the vehicle or a manufacturer's letter.

There is not a single case here of anyone getting a letter from VW for this purpose. Im going to say thats because they won't give you one.

I import stuff on both the Department of Commerce and Department of State control list. If the manufacturer won't cooperate with compliance, you are sunk.
78busboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: VW to supply self-driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

These would be corporate-owned test vehicles to be used for the limited purpose of advancing technologies of strategic, national interest. Temporarily imported, probably bonded against damage or accidents, and driven and monitored by specially trained drivers and experts.

After that they leave the country, or they get destroyed or mothballed.

Different set of norms for that.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW to supply Self driving T6 vans to Apple Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The CBP site is clear. You need either a sticker of compliance on the vehicle or a manufacturer's letter.

There is not a single case here of anyone getting a letter from VW for this purpose. Im going to say thats because they won't give you one.

I import stuff on both the Department of Commerce and Department of State control list. If the manufacturer won't cooperate with compliance, you are sunk.

I amend my statement above

Quote:

The PO gave me a letter from VOA, that they received from the Canadian dealership that sold him the vehicle. The VOA letter satisfied DMV California that the vehicle complied with US federal standards.

The rules may have changed since I did that, and VOA letters are NLA. So If I was in your position, I would contact a registered importer, such as Jeff Schwaia http://autostadtwest.com and get his advice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: