Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Great biking with you Connor, we'll have to get together on the front range for some biking too.
Here's a picture from the award ceremony of you accepting your trophy for best crash (he held a front wheelie for an impressive amount of time before submitting to the inevitable othb on The Portal).
Thanks for being patient with us less fit bikers and showing us the lines.

-d

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

This event never disappoints. I have to admit it's a much different experience with a Syncro. I've never been so frightened, exhilarated, concerned, thankful, and ultimately justified in the decision to buy another Vanagon and bust my ass getting it as ready as I could over the past several months.

I was in major need of mechanical assistance at one point, and I can't think of a better place to break down. Smile

Thanks to everybody who kept me on the road and to the organizers who work so hard to make this crazy thing happen.

I'm hoping to sort through some photos this evening, but in the meantime here's tencent, MSewalson and me on the Rimrocker trail Sunday evening.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Glad you made it. How was the RimRocker Trail? SS was great as usual, thanks to Johnny and all the other folks who made it happen.

I've made a lot of friends at SS over the years. It's great to see them again.

Rich
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Always an awesome event! Great MTB riding with Raoul and the gang-tough and skilled riding after your long day on Porc Rim! Rimrocker on Sun and Monday was supercool as well, thanks to the trail smarts of 10cent and the Syncro boys Matt, Joe and David.

Can’t wait for next year already!
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Such a wonderful event!! Thanks so much to Johnny Maw, the volunteers, the trail ride leaders, fellow attendees, and everyone else who made it so great!
Here are some pics from camp:

Mike’s van (from Rocky Mountain Westy) and the Milky Way one night at 1:00 AM

Josiah’s van (15-second exposure with laser lights going)

My van at sunset

Party campground loop one night below Jupiter and a shooting star:

I met so many great people! Can’t wait for next year!!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Envious.

What was the van count?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Envious.

What was the van count?

I heard 80 registered....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SLIKROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

That was a great night! Thank you everyone Very Happy
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

A few more from the weekend.

Johnny loses his accelerator cable in the sand dunes...(I was standing on top of a dune holding a very good bottle of tequila, so my assistance was not requested.)

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Seeing mswealson's roof-loaded van there, which I'm pretty sure has the same "hole-only" poptop conversion I'm doing right now, is super inspirational Joe, thanks for posting that photo. SS is being added to my next few years plans, great anchor to plan an out West trip around!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Seeing mswealson's roof-loaded van there, which I'm pretty sure has the same "hole-only" poptop conversion I'm doing right now, is super inspirational Joe, thanks for posting that photo. SS is being added to my next few years plans, great anchor to plan an out West trip around!

Right on! Matt's work on his hole-in-the-roof really is inspirational and even moreso in person. The dude has great attention to detail.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Please sir, can we have more pictures?
Very Happy
We went to the first SS, really miss the fun; my partner's business is taxes, so it's hard to make spring vacations.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Please sir, can we have more pictures?
Very Happy
We went to the first SS, really miss the fun; my partner's business is taxes, so it's hard to make spring vacations.

I remember your white Westy with the Bostig. Too bad you haven't been able to make it back to SS.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Does he have a build thread or gallery here? I searched by that user name and came up empty.
s
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Does he have a build thread or gallery here? I searched by that user name and came up empty.
s

Here you go
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602519&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: